Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    victoria BC bashing with my bud 1slash and racing with COR victoria
    just finished setting the setup that slaydaddy posted on the 1st page for carpet racing and i really like it but when the shocks fully compress i can hear that the piston is rubbing on the shock bladder, is that ok???

Thanks.
    1/16 revo
    slash 4x4
    some more but they wont fit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher4x4 View Post
    Slaydaddy, What size shock preload spaces are you running?
    Slasher - Slaydaddy has not added to the thread in 6 months.

As far as your question, in the set up he describes, note the ride heights. Just add/remove spacers till your race ready (with battery) truck meets those specs.
    It is not a TOY!

RC Enthusiast
    aggie rustler, Thanks for the info, don't know how I missed it!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie rustler View Post
    Guys, I am not sure if Steve Slayden still works for Traxxas. He has not posted in this thread for almost 6 months and I have seen him associated with a fuel vendor along with Mike Battaile. We can continue the race set-up discussion, but I do not expect Slaydaddy to respond to any direct questions.
    Yep, checked out both Steve Slayden's and Mike Battaile's facebook page and they do not list Traxxas as their employer. Mike lists a fuel manufacturer based in San Antonio, TX. Both now list their home in San Antonio, not the Dallas area where Traxxas is. If you didn't know Mike was the Chief Design Engineer for the Slash 4x4 and 7 time National MT champion.

So lets just keep this thread going and help each other out with racing set-ups, etc....
    It is not a TOY!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie rustler View Post
    Yep, checked out both Steve Slayden's and Mike Battaile's facebook page and they do not list Traxxas as their employer. Mike lists a fuel manufacturer based in San Antonio, TX. Both now list their home in San Antonio, not the Dallas area where Traxxas is. If you didn't know Mike was the Chief Design Engineer for the Slash 4x4 and 7 time National MT champion.

So lets just keep this thread going and help each other out with racing set-ups, etc....
    Retraction: I am wrong Mike was not MT Champion, that was Tim Roberts.
    It is not a TOY!

RC poster
    is there anyway to get the crpet set-up on a set-up sheet would be much easier to follow?

RC Enthusiast
    I configured Steve Slayden setup on my Slash 4x4 and took it out to a bumpy track with dirts and stones to see how it behaves and handles the terrain...

Here is the Video of Steve Slayden setup on a bumpy, dirt, stones Terrain
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate, Slash 2WD, SCX10 Defender 90

RC Enthusiast
    You can download the setup sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-Crawler View Post
    is there anyway to get the crpet set-up on a set-up sheet would be much easier to follow?
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate, Slash 2WD, SCX10 Defender 90

RC Racer
    Hey Slaydaddy,

Take a look at this video of my local indoor carpet track (Don't have to see all)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2gaYd3iixo

Can you recommend some tires and do you think your carpet set up will work well or can you recommend some changes.

Thanks in advanced!

RC Competitor
    A little help, please. I have read this thread at length, and there is some good info in here. Still, I am confused on one point. In the setup guides on pages 1 and 6, Steve Slayden makes reference to "Pro-Line Rear Carriers" and even recommends settings for them.

That's where I'm confused. I can't find any rear axle carriers for the Slash 4x4 that are manufactured or sold by Pro-Line. The closest thing I can find are the ProTrac Rear Hub Carriers 6062-05 which are part of the ProTrac Suspension Kit for the Slash 2x4. According to Pro-Line they only fit with the Rear Arms 6062-02 which are part of their ProTrac Suspension Kit, and none of it fits on the Traxxas Slash 4x4 at all.

Can anyone shed light on this issue? Do the ProTrac Rear Hub Carriers 6062-05 fit on Traxxas Slash 4x4 Rear Arms even though Pro-Line says they won't fit? Has anyone actually done this? And if so, what does it set the rear suspension geometry to (i.e., toe-in and /or any other changes over the stock Traxxas plastic rear hub carriers)?

Thanks.

RC Racer
    Well I read in the RC Car Action Magizine Buyers Guide that they are a direct fit on the 4x4.

RC Enthusiast
    This is still sapperc. I got a new account name because I can't login since the website update. Gave up waiting for a fix.

XterraTrax, looks like you and I may be the only ones still trying to keep this thread alive. Hope not.

So, no one has actually tried the Pro-Liine rear hubs? Looking for feedback from experience on performance gains, if any. For example, just how useful are all the additional camber link connection points?

Got another question. Anyone take Steve Slayden's advice and try to install the Traxxas motor heatsink, part #1522? It doesn't fit. Requires serious cut-down modifications to accommodate the the gear mesh adjustment screw and the motor leads. The heatsink is too long, too tall, and too wide. Odd that there was no mention of that anywhere. I suppose you could rotate it to make room for the adjustment screw, but it's still too long and tall to fit up under the motor leads without filing it down. Makes me wonder what he or his mechanic did to install one, as he never mentioned any modifications that were needed.

RC poster
    Im just getting into RC cars just picked a slash up on ebay , I have a problem it did not come with a radio or rec I picked them up on ebay as well ok now can anyone tell me how to link them and what ch in need to be set on the radio is 2238 and rec is 2218 was trying to figure it out and one time i changes the ch and the held wide open any help would be great

RC Enthusiast
    Hi! You have the Traxxas TQ 2.4 Transmitter and the Traxxas TQ Link 2.4 5-channel Receiver. You are correct in that they are desigened to work together. The 2218 is used with all of the varios Traxxas 2.4 transmitters.

The setting instructions are rather lengthy, so my advice is to print out and follow the instructions as you go. Traxxas does not have a link to a separate manual for the transmitter. Instructions for setup and use are embedded in manuals for RTRs that use this transmitter. The Slash 4x4 is not sold as an RTR with this transmitter, but one model that does include this transmitter is the Slash 2x4. Check out this link: http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...l_091209_0.pdf. Specific instructions for the transmitter and receiver begin on page 9.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sappercc View Post
    XterraTrax, looks like you and I may be the only ones still trying to keep this thread alive. Hope not..
    I would like to participate on this thread. I just ordered the Slash 4x4 and this is a new step for me. I fly rc planes. I will be needing lots of help and hope to find it here. I started to read this thread from the beginning and promise to read all the way through so that I won't ask previously posted questions.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by malitape View Post
    I would like to participate on this thread. I just ordered the Slash 4x4 and this is a new step for me. I fly rc planes. I will be needing lots of help and hope to find it here. I started to read this thread from the beginning and promise to read all the way through so that I won't ask previously posted questions.
    Thats Great malitape!
    Hope you like your 4x4!

RC poster
    Is there a list of just set up sheets?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    Is there a list of just set up sheets?
    What do you exactly mean......
    If you mean a blank set up sheet theres some posted just above.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by XterraTrax View Post
    What do you exactly mean......
    If you mean a blank set up sheet theres some posted just above.
    Looking forthe setup on the first page, I'm running on a big outdoor track and trying to find a decent starting setup, My powerstrokes just came in do I'm ttying to find set ups,

RC poster
    I'm having issues trying to get a setup that will fix left turns. The truck carves corners going right but has to take wide left turns. This impresses everyone on the track as it looks like I'm driving a semi-truck and running them off the track. Thanks for all the setup advice, I've put a lot of it to use so far.

RC Champion
    Hey all, new here to RC. I have a question about the setup sheet. For the rear toe angle it states: 4 (Blue as labeled). Can someone explain this to me? Is it referring to a blue carrier and installed as normal? Sorry for the newb question.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    Hey all, new here to RC. I have a question about the setup sheet. For the rear toe angle it states: 4 (Blue as labeled). Can someone explain this to me? Is it referring to a blue carrier and installed as normal? Sorry for the newb question.
    "Blue" are the aluminum blue rear hubs that come with the platinum, and "as labeled" means that you install them as labeled right goes on the right side and left goes on the left side.

RC Champion
    "Blue" are the aluminum blue rear hubs that come with the platinum, and "as labeled" means that you install them as labeled right goes on the right side and left goes on the left side.
    So are the blue ones made different than the stock plastic pieces? I would think they would be the same.

RC Champion
    Hey Slaydaddy,

Take a look at this video of my local indoor carpet track (Don't have to see all)

Can you recommend some tires and do you think your carpet set up will work well or can you recommend some changes.

Thanks in advanced!
    I like how it looks like the truck hits ice when it runs onto the gym floor. Looks like a fun little track though.

RC poster
    No body has Steve's set up in a set up sheet form?

RC Qualifier
    Hey Slaydaddy,

Thanks in advanced!

Any tires that keeps you behind my son & I !!

Didn't I see somewhere that Slayden is no longer with Traxxas ?
    Support your Country, buy domestic...

RC Racer
    So are the blue ones made different than the stock plastic pieces? I would think they would be the same.
    Correct!
    The blues are different than the stock plastics.
    The stock plastics are 2.5 degrees
    And the blues can be 4 degrees or I think 1.5 degrees.

RC Racer
    I like how it looks like the truck hits ice when it runs onto the gym floor. Looks like a fun little track though.
    You are exactly right!
    It's like ice.
    And NASCARcanada you should have experienced that!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nascarcanada View Post
    Any tires that keeps you behind my son & I !!

Didn't I see somewhere that Slayden is no longer with Traxxas ?
    I think we will have to see about that!
    Are you coming this Saturday?

RC Qualifier
    You are exactly right!
    It's like ice.
    And NASCARcanada you should have experienced that!
    Yes the white section is slippery.
    I think we will have to see about that!
    Are you coming this Saturday?
    Yes we will be there hope I don't nail the solid pipe at the "T" again.

RC Champion
    Correct!
    The blues are different than the stock plastics.
    The stock plastics are 2.5 degrees
    And the blues can be 4 degrees or I think 1.5 degrees.
    Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

RC Racer
    Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
    Your welcome!
    Important info!

RC poster
    Ok ive checked the setup out and i have one problem. I see no matter what the setup comes out to be the front swaybar does not allow the front control arm fully extend. It interferes with the extention of it. So whats everyones thoughts on that? Mine seems to kind one wheel up when turning hard and i lose contact with the inner tire.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboy1 View Post
    Ok ive checked the setup out and i have one problem. I see no matter what the setup comes out to be the front swaybar does not allow the front control arm fully extend. It interferes with the extention of it. So whats everyones thoughts on that? Mine seems to kind one wheel up when turning hard and i lose contact with the inner tire.
    The front shocks are shorter then the rears, thus the 2 inner holes (#1 & #2) on the bottom a arm are unusable unless you use longer shocks. He explains it there some where..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboy1 View Post
    Mine touch, but don't seem to interfere with full extension.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    is there a video or pics of this set up, my head is spinning with all the info, and really don't understand anything.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    is there a video or pics of this set up, my head is spinning with all the info, and really don't understand anything.
    I don't think so.
    I could get you some picture of my Slayden Set up Slash 4x4.
    But which part of the truck?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    Print out the Traxxas setup sheet that was posted (don't remember which post it's in). It helped me alot.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't understand steering link (plastic carrier two holes what is front) camber link position, what is out (out to the chassis) in (close to the chassis).

RC Competitor
    Starting to set up my Platinum to the SL setup sheets and I am questioning the measurements and please excuse but I haven't used metrics much but all are in mm not cm. Example: Shock length 100mm. shouldn't that be 100cm. 10cm/MM. 100MM would be more like 22 inchs. Am I crazy.