RC Champion

Thermal shutdown?

well i was just driving round my backyard slow and doing some jumps with a 2s lipo when suddenly it stopped. the esc was flashng red. i thought it was LVC but when i put it on the charger it had 7.6v still in it. the esc was pretty warm hats wat makes me expect thermal. but i could still hold my finger on it easily.
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Champion
    You manual describes the Red flashing light sequence that denotes LVC or Thermal shutdown. I am at work and can't think of them of hand or I would post it now.. sorry.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650
    You manual describes the Red flashing light sequence that denotes LVC or Thermal shutdown. I am at work and can't think of them of hand or I would post it now.. sorry.
    yer i saw that but im not sure which 1 it was. It was fairly slow i think not certain though.
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Champion
    Slow flashing is LVC, rapid flashing is thermal shutdown. I've seen it before, it's a very fast flashing and you'll know the difference.

If your lipos show up at 7.6v after taking them out of the truck then they probably did hit LVC. Put them on the charger and see how many mAh it takes back in. The battery voltage will climb back up when resting, so even a few minutes after taking it out it would read around that voltage. I believe the VXL cuts off at 6.6v and it is pretty sensitive so it will trigger the LVC when your voltage reaches that point for even a brief moment.

I believe the thermal cutoff point is around 170F on the ESC, which would be hard to keep your finger on for more than a few seconds.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Champion
    oops forgot to check how many MAH went in battery.

i could keep my finger on the esc but it was very warm, seemed like it was definately LVC. Light was definately not real fast flashing.

the car came to a dead stop to thought LVC just limited power or maybe i hadnt noticed that stage since i went slow.
    Last edited by bandit; 01-26-2010 at 07:30 AM.
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Champion
    it was probably an early lvc
    unplug the battery and plug it back in and drive it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy-SLASH#1
    it was probably an early lvc
    unplug the battery and plug it back in and drive it
    Agree. I see this on my Slash 4x4 also. If you google search VXL and LVC, you will see a bunch of people that have this problem. It doesn't happen too often.... just enough to be a little annoying.

Matt