RC poster

Do I have a faulty esc???

After a few minutes of driving my Slash 4x4, the truck is hesitant to move. It takes 4 or more pulls on the trigger to get it going or I have to push it a little. It also makes a beeping sound whenever I pull the trigger. I tried messing with the throttle trim, resetting the esc, and everything else but it still does it. I have seen a few posts of the same problem. Is it a faulty batch of speed controls and should I send it in to Traxxas??? PLEASE HELP!

RC Qualifier
    call traxxas. there the experts man
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleSlasher
    call traxxas. there the experts man
    Yeah, I am for sure going to call tomarrow...

RC Competitor
    Register your truck and just send your esc in. My went bad after a week and I sent in and got a brand new one less than 2 weeks.

RC Qualifier
    This was happening to me also when using the supplied battery. The truck would run fine for about a minute or two, then it would not move again from a dead stop without a "push". Once you helped it get going it would still FLY around like normal. I have noticed the problem less as the battery has been cycled a few times. Also, I have not had this problem at all on 3S lipo.
    2 Slash 4x4's, B/L Rusty, and a Crawler

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie_version1
    This was happening to me also when using the supplied battery. The truck would run fine for about a minute or two, then it would not move again from a dead stop without a "push". Once you helped it get going it would still FLY around like normal. I have noticed the problem less as the battery has been cycled a few times. Also, I have not had this problem at all on 3S lipo.
    I have ran the uncluded battery three times and it does it with my other batteries too.

RC Qualifier
    ok, with that info ^^ I'd be on the phone to traxxas. I Hope they fix ya up quickly.
    2 Slash 4x4's, B/L Rusty, and a Crawler

RC poster
    replace battery with a 2 cell lipo

RC Champion
    Mine does this, tried on multiple 2s lipo packs and it's the same. I've seen a few other posts here with the exact same problem, it's almost certainly a defective ESC. Send it back.
    Traxxas racing!

RC poster
    I just bought a Rustler VXL for my son and bought myself a slash 4x4. The rustler is doing exactly what you are describing, it also makes a noise when pulling the trigger, but will not move for several attempts. I tried the battery from my Slash and it still has problem. I called traxxas tech. dept. he told me he had never heard of this problem, and to send the whole car in to Traxxas.

RC poster
    Could you keep me posted on what Traxxas tells you. I would much rather send in the esc than the whole car, since they don't pay for shipping. Thanx

RC Enthusiast
    same deal as posted in another thread. Plugged in a Lipo and had no problem, trying to cycle the nimh battery and going to try again tomorrow. Worried about sending in the EsC, as it sounds like hit or miss with Traxxas CS. If anyone has cycled the Nimh and problem went away, post up
    J.L. Segundo

RC Competitor
    also, how can we properly cycle the included nimh pack? I am having the same problem but I am new to electrics.

RC Enthusiast
    tackett i am in your boat as far new to this. Was really hoping someone would chime in on this. My hyperion has a cycle function built in. Gonna give it a try as its free! Worst comes to worse, I'll buy a new NIMH or 2s lipo. Neighbors park their cars in the street so no need for me to go Mach 1 in the neighborhood.
    J.L. Segundo

RC Qualifier
    1st basic thing to check is remove the pinion and make sure the truck moves freely with little effort. If it doesn't then something is binding possible its a spent bearing. IMO worth the checking before sending ESC back.
    You're not too old if you're still having fun!

RC Competitor
    no binding for me. I have only ran the truck 1 time since taking it out of the box. I am so new to electrics, I don't even know how to tell when the battery is dead because I am afraid of tearing something up.

RC Champion
    i have the same issue and have to send it to Traxxas.
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Competitor
    IMO if they want the parts or truck back under warranty they should pay the shipping.
    That is only fair under warranty as a stand up company should.

Art

RC Champion
    they want me to pay shipping to them
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Enthusiast
    I have the same issue, it struggles to start once things warm up. On the
    move it performs fine but getting marshalled on the track I lose precious
    seconds waiting for it to get going.
    Like you Bandit I'm in Aust. and there is no way I'm sending anything back yet.
    I did that once with a VXL esc and it took 3months to get a new one.

I will wait to see how all this unfolds with Traxxas as there is clearly an issue
    with these ESCs - but at least they are still usable in the meantime.
    Sending one back now may result in getting a new one with the same thing
    happening again.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by momo
    I have the same issue, it struggles to start once things warm up. On the
    move it performs fine but getting marshalled on the track I lose precious
    seconds waiting for it to get going.
    Like you Bandit I'm in Aust. and there is no way I'm sending anything back yet.
    I did that once with a VXL esc and it took 3months to get a new one.

I will wait to see how all this unfolds with Traxxas as there is clearly an issue
    with these ESCs - but at least they are still usable in the meantime.
    Sending one back now may result in getting a new one with the same thing
    happening again.
    im just sending mine back as i have an esc to use in the meanwhile.
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mikealec
    Could you keep me posted on what Traxxas tells you. I would much rather send in the esc than the whole car, since they don't pay for shipping. Thanx
    They told me to send the ESC and motor back. No reason to send the whole car - it's an electronics issue.
    Traxxas racing!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mikealec
    Don't send the whole car in...just send in your motor and esc because they run tests on both to determine if it is cogging or just a faulty esc.