RC Qualifier

Had a wreck...is my new lipo ruined? *pics*

Hit a big rock (probably a foot tall and 1.5 ft long) at the top of my neighbor's driveway around they mailbox at around 50mph. This happened to the battery but the truck is completely fine somehow?! Anyways is my battery ruined? If so how do I dispose of it properly?

Thanks

Thunder SM, Predator SM, Slash 4x4, ERBE

RC Racer
    Take the battery to Pep Boys, Interstate Battery, etc...

They will dispose for you....

RC Champion
    Ouch
    The pics look pretty bad... think you're out of luck.
    Sorry

RC Competitor
    well does the pack have any power? as long as the cells arent completely punctured or puffed then you can repair it.

just take the blue plastic housing off the lipo and see what it looks like

RC Qualifier
    from what i can see, they aren't punctured but the top cell is sort of crumpled at the top. it did still work but i only blipped the throttle and then unplugged it once i realized what had happened. I've cut and pulled back the top part of the blue housing and the rest of the cell looks fine. no puffing yet but how long does that take until it does puff up if it was going to?

I don't want to run it with the risk of something happening to it. I think I'm just out $50 and I'll have to get another. Luckily I've still got my 2S lipo!

Too bad ******* doesn't make a 3S 5000mah hardcase...

RC Qualifier
    Too Bad Ive been there! But ya you run a huge risk of damaging your ESC if you run that.
    You're not too old if you're still having fun!

RC Champion
    repair and cover any loose wiring, and charge it outside or in a Lipo sack or other fireproof containment after the repair. I see nothing wrong with it as long as the wiring is covered as it should be. Dont dispose of it, if you do, ILL TAKE IT! LOL
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]

RC Champion
    take a pic of it with the blue off of it. it does look like it has a pretty good size bulge in it though. wih something like that i wouldnt take the chance. hard case next time
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken448
    repair and cover any loose wiring, and charge it outside or in a Lipo sack or other fireproof containment after the repair. I see nothing wrong with it as long as the wiring is covered as it should be. Dont dispose of it, if you do, ILL TAKE IT! LOL

So you think if I recover the wiring it should be okay to charge it up and run it? I was thinking maybe just heat shrink it? Any suggestions?

Thanks

RC Champion
    IDK about that charge outside and watch it. These can be dangerous.
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ask the vendor you bought it from for their thoughts on the damage. They should know what's best for the packs they sell.
    Last edited by Jakey; 01-24-2010 at 08:53 AM.

RC Champion
    you need to re-insulate the positive lead, or replace it. Thats what it looks like from here. If it hasnt spontaneously combusted yet, it isnt going to while you are looking at it.

Dig into it, use common sense while doing so, and its no different than any other battery. It is just not protected by a hard metal case like other batteries are.

RC Qualifier
    Do not repair your lipo unless you are a professional! If your not a professional and still going to try and repair a lipo you need to watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWdnjLqVWw

Quote Originally Posted by Ken448
    If it was only wire damage I would agree with you but the O/P says....

from what i can see, they aren't punctured but the top cell is sort of crumpled at the top.
    That to me is a deal breaker and I would consider the pack trash.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Like I said.. If he is going to throw it away.. Send it to me. If the #1 cell is junk, I can make it into a 2C pack. Done it before, and Im not a "professional". Just takes A LITTLE common sense.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This one is borderline for sure. If you take a lot of precautions, you can try repairing and running it again.

HOWEVER, jeeze that looks like a fire hazard to me. I say replace it, ******* packs aren't too spendy, but I understand no one wants to buy new lipos when this one looks new. (except for the damage of course).

RC Qualifier
    For what it cost to replace a *******, its not worth turning you 4x4 into a flaming ball of melted plastic. Or even worse killing a loved one burning your house down cause you were too cheap to replace it.

SAFETY FIRST!!!
    Here is a story of someone leaving an unconnected lipo in there 1:1 car.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241627
    Here is a melted RC

Now you know the risks make your own decision.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    Ask the vendor you bought it from for their thoughts on the damage. They should know what's best for the packs they sell.
    Love it, Jakey!

Actually, I really want to know how such damage could happen to the battery while the car is "completely fine". Either the battery wasn't secured well, or there really is some damage to your car, too...
    Two Rusty VXLs, M2Ks 18/83 - Tag! You're it!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxson11
    For what it cost to replace a *******, its not worth turning you 4x4 into a flaming ball of melted plastic. Or even worse killing a loved one burning your house down cause you were too cheap to replace it.

SAFETY FIRST!!!
    Here is a story of someone leaving an unconnected lipo in there 1:1 car.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241627
    Here is a melted RC

Now you know the risks make your own decision.
    Just get a little duct tape and glue. It'll be FINE
    Trust me...I'm a Doctor

RC Champion
    if you guys are this afraid of them, you shouldnt be running them.

Leave a pack on your front seat in CA in the middle of June.. Like I said.. Common sense ALMOST ALWAYS wins!
    Last edited by Ken448; 01-24-2010 at 01:53 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I have several Lipos that I keep safely in a metal ammo box. But when ever one shows physical signs of damage it is disposed of, and I move on the the next...

Lipo Batteries are excellent source of POWER although their potential for catastrophe should not be taken lightly.
    Last edited by Maxson11; 01-24-2010 at 03:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Well I repaired the wiring and sealed up the torn shrink wrap and it took a charge just fine. Haven't run it yet, bent stub axle replacements will be here shortly but since it took a charge fine am I in the clear?

RC Champion
    oh man, you are going to give everyone on here heart attacks now!

RC Champion
    No, you'll never be in the clear with that battery. The structural integrity of the cell is clearly compromised in the pictures your posted. Whether or not it accepted a charge fine this time, or fails in a dozen more charges, you are playing Russian roulette with your rc car, your house, and the safety and even lives of anyone who lives there. Now, if you're fine with such a risk just for the convenience of saving a few bucks, then it's on your head. Personally, I hate it when others take my own safety into their hands, like those idiot drivers on the highway that zip past you at 90mph, weaving around cars and endangering everyone on the road near them... Okay, I'll stop. But seriously, don't fool yourself into thinking that lipo is okay just because it didn't blow up from one charge.
    Two Rusty VXLs, M2Ks 18/83 - Tag! You're it!

RC Champion
    You'll know when it's puffed. Yours looks good. Check the cell's voltage. Use I guess "Un-common sense" and check it over before you trash it.

RC Qualifier
    I think you'll be fine. I had one smash like that on the front end, where the wires aren't, after nose diving my Losi8. I pressed on it with the palm of my hand to smooth out the top 2 cells that were a bit out of shape and it has been working fine for a couple of months now, with not 1 issue.

As long as the cells outer covering didn't rupture, I would be too worried about it.

Don't trash it!! Send it to me!!! LOL