Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    30

    Questions..considering a switch

    Hey yall...didnt know where exactly to ask these questions..but here goes. lol. Right now I have a 3.3 tmaxx, and thinking on a switch to electric. I love the body style of the slash and may race some at a local track, but the truck will mostly be a parking lot/baseball lot 'toy'. What kind of run times can I expect with a stock truck/battery set up? Can you 'double up' on the lipos in the slash like you can in the revo's for more punch, and is the stock esc good enuff to handle it? Do both the 2wd and 4wd slash come with brushless motors? Are these trucks really just as fast as a nitro truck or is all that just backyard smack talk? And..any other tips or suggestions? Thanks!!

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FLA
    Posts
    543
    The Velineon system is limited to 3s, so you could double up for run time, but not for power beyond 3s. I don't know about run time on stock battery, but if you are looking for performance you will want a lipo. With 3S Thunder Power 40C Battery, Proline Badlands tires (huge improvement in all terrain traction) and stock gear, my Slash has just as much punch and power as my T-Maxx big block, and a lot less hassle. 2wd comes with brushed motor.

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    1,861
    you can run a 3s which will make the 4x4 hall a!
    electrics nowadays are easier and faster than nitros

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO USA
    Posts
    256
    The stock Traxxas 3 NiMh batteries are 3000Mah batts that run for about 10 minutes depending on your trigger-finger (how hard you are on the throttle that is). I switched to Blue LiPo 2S1P 25C 4000Mah batteries and when I went to the track on Monday I ran 3-20 minute practice sessions on 1 battery. Of course I wasn't HARD on the throttle because I was trying to get around the track. I'd imagine for bashing that the battery might last for about 20 minutes of HARD driving.

    I have yet to put a LiPo through a bashing session though so I can't say for sure. Someone else can probably tell you better than me.
    Paul Valenti

    Slash 4X4 #25 (Mark Jenkins)

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Halifax County, Nova Scotia. Ca
    Posts
    1,131
    my 2S 5000mAh ******* Lipos last about 20-25 minutes Frying the ba-geepers out of it around the yard in the snow. My 2S 5200mAh Trunigy's last well over 25 minutes. I never ran my 3S Lipo till it cut off yet... That thing is just STUPID fast and I am scared to break something in these cold temps. I just Show off for a minute or 2 and put the 3S away again.

    Don't worry about Power compared to Nitro... I was a revo 3.3 owner and scared of Electric. Let me say this... My Slash 4x4 would Kill my revo in Takeoff and Speed around the yard. If I geared up a bit and used the 3S Lipo battery, it would kill the revo in Top speed as well... Plus. the Revo handled like a plate of runny poop compared to this truck...

    I will probably NEVER go back to Nitro... Its just way too much work and not as fast.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650
    my 2S 5000mAh ******* Lipos last about 20-25 minutes Frying the ba-geepers out of it around the yard in the snow. My 2S 5200mAh Trunigy's last well over 25 minutes. I never ran my 3S Lipo till it cut off yet... That thing is just STUPID fast and I am scared to break something in these cold temps. I just Show off for a minute or 2 and put the 3S away again.

    Don't worry about Power compared to Nitro... I was a revo 3.3 owner and scared of Electric. Let me say this... My Slash 4x4 would Kill my revo in Takeoff and Speed around the yard. If I geared up a bit and used the 3S Lipo battery, it would kill the revo in Top speed as well... Plus. the Revo handled like a plate of runny poop compared to this truck...

    I will probably NEVER go back to Nitro... Its just way too much work and not as fast.
    How sensitive are the LiPo packs to charging/discharging? Im used to running for hours on end with the nitro..just fill er up again and go. Do the LiPos/esc/brushless motors need to cool down between chargings? Can the LiPos be 'quick' charged from ac as well as dc source? Sorry about all the nOob sounding questions about LiPos..but last electric car i ran was an associated rc10! haha~!! All I know is im starting to get sick of constant tuning and motor builds/replacements!

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by texasRCnewbie
    How sensitive are the LiPo packs to charging/discharging? Im used to running for hours on end with the nitro..just fill er up again and go. Do the LiPos/esc/brushless motors need to cool down between chargings? Can the LiPos be 'quick' charged from ac as well as dc source? Sorry about all the nOob sounding questions about LiPos..but last electric car i ran was an associated rc10! haha~!! All I know is im starting to get sick of constant tuning and motor builds/replacements!
    I just got a second charger from Hobbypartz.com it has a built in AC adapter and can charge up to 5amps.

    5000mah battery - 1c = 5ah most lipos are recommended to be charged at 1c
    1c. 5000mah should not be charged above 5amps.

    There are companies that make lipos that can be charge at 2c-5c in that case a 5000mah lipo - 2c = 10 amps, etc.

    If your overwhlemed with the whole lipo thing look into lifepo packs. They carry a higher voltage and run times like lipos but can basically be treated like a NiMH.
    ENJOY the hobby, don't HATE it.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    669
    Just skip all of the E-Revo stuff and go to the battery part.
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=493056
    ENJOY the hobby, don't HATE it.

  9. #9
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by microimage
    I just got a second charger from Hobbypartz.com it has a built in AC adapter and can charge up to 5amps.

    5000mah battery - 1c = 5ah most lipos are recommended to be charged at 1c
    1c. 5000mah should not be charged above 5amps.

    There are companies that make lipos that can be charge at 2c-5c in that case a 5000mah lipo - 2c = 10 amps, etc.

    If your overwhlemed with the whole lipo thing look into lifepo packs. They carry a higher voltage and run times like lipos but can basically be treated like a NiMH.
    Dang...and I thought tuning a nitro was a pain in the *****! lol! thanks for the link in the other post...i will read up on that!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •