RC Competitor

gps proven speeds stock, mmm, & 6s lipo -all stock gearing

I have looked on here thru the search tab for gps proven speeds for the summit...i can't find them entering key words. I have seen speed charts of what things should do, but I am going to gps test several gear mods. the pinion gears I will us are 14t(stock), 18t, and 24t. The spur gears I will test are 68t(stock) 65t, 62t, and 54t. I am looking for a good set up with my MMM motor to get good high speed crawling in low gear (I crawl over long rolling grass and big rocks), and get 40-45 mph in high gear.

I test with a garmin 765t mounted on top as pictured

here is what I have found so far.
    low gear: high gear:
    8 mph stock 16.8v / 21 mph stock 16.8v
    12.1 mph mamba monster (14t/68t) 16.8v / 27.5 mph MMM (14t/68t)
    14.8 mph MMM (14/68) (2)3s 5000 mah lipos / 38 flat mph MMM (14/68)(2)3s

now thats with stock gearing, crawls great tons of fun. As soon as I receive the rest of the parts I will add to the post. I could not believe the difference the dual 3s lipos made, at 1st I thought I had a bad motor when the speed with 16.8v only went up marginally....more to come if warranted.

next I will test the 18t/68t, then the 24/68, then move to a different spur with the 14t pinion and then the 18t pinion and so on. let me know if I should continue or am I just waisting my time.

great write up, actually im looking for the same set up (good low range with 45mph high) but I think I will go tekin for the sensored ability and less cogging at low speeds. Two questions, what size / or type of tires do you have on with the speed runs and approximately how slow will the mmm crawl without cogging? thanks - is that a wheelie bar?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by noir522
    Two questions, what size / or type of tires do you have on with the speed runs and approximately how slow will the mmm crawl without cogging? thanks - is that a wheelie bar?
    the tires I bought on ebay off a nitro truck 1/8 scale they seem to be almost as big as the stockers. I have a set of 6.3" to compare these seem to be about 1/2" bigger than those. I'd say 6.9". See link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    I figured on a nitro they would be able to keep up with the speeds. the stock tires were horrible as soon as I hooked up the MMM. at 27-28 mph they wobbled all over the place like they were out of balance.
    I will get the slow crawl speed as soon as I get the parts in( I have no steering now)...and yes that is a RD logics 5 way adjustable wheelie bar
    Last edited by c_no_summit; 01-20-2010 at 11:56 AM.

RC Competitor
    Ok, just tested the 18t pinion with the stock 68t spur: 16.8 fresh batts

14.5 mph low gear
    27.4 mph in high gear
    ... not much of an improvement over the 14t only .4 mph in high, but the low gear was 2.5 mph faster.

now for the 6s lipos:

17.8 mph vs 14.8 (3 mph) difference low gear
    45.7 high gear vs 38.0 (7.7 mph difference) this is probably my max for everyday.

next I will try a 24t on only lipos...the 16.8's will not have enough power in high gear I feel.
    Last edited by c_no_summit; 01-23-2010 at 09:03 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_no_summit
    I have looked on here thru the search tab for gps proven speeds for the summit...i can't find them entering key words. I have seen speed charts of what things should do, but I am going to gps test several gear mods. the pinion gears I will us are 14t(stock), 18t, and 24t. The spur gears I will test are 68t(stock) 65t, 62t, and 54t. I am looking for a good set up with my MMM motor to get good high speed crawling in low gear (I crawl over long rolling grass and big rocks), and get 40-45 mph in high gear.

here is what I have found so far.
    low gear: high gear:
    8 mph stock 16.8v / 21 mph stock 16.8v
    12.1 mph mamba monster (14t/68t) 16.8v / 27.5 mph MMM (14t/68t)
    14.8 mph MMM (14/68) (2)3s 5000 mah lipos / 38 flat mph MMM (14/68)(2)3s

now thats with stock gearing, crawls great tons of fun. As soon as I receive the rest of the parts I will add to the post. I could not believe the difference the dual 3s lipos made, at 1st I thought I had a bad motor when the speed with 16.8v only went up marginally....more to come if warranted.

next I will test the 18t/68t, then the 24/68, then move to a different spur with the 14t pinion and then the 18t pinion and so on. let me know if I should continue or am I just waisting my time.
    Check out my thread from last summer : http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=476069

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    Check out my thread from last summer : http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=476069
    nice, I am just going for speed results with different pinion and spur gears with the 2 sets of batteries I own. I have seen gearing charts for days but no hard proof. If you know of any and can link me, that would be great.

RC Competitor

24t/62t maxed out

I tried the 24t with the 68 spur... it would not fit. so I switched to a steel 62t spur with the 24t pinion and made an impressive
    24.8mph...in low gear!! that's faster than the stock high gear.

the high gear was only slightly faster than the 18/68 which means I have maxed out for a summit. maybe a 14/62 or 18/62, but honestly the metal gears together were too much noise for me. it sounded like it was breaking while it was driving...and it was I could not keep the pinion gear situated it kept coming loose and screwing things up.

the run in high gear was 47.3 mph

RC Competitor
    how do you get a 24t pinion to fit?

RC Qualifier
    You inspired me to get my gps out and see what my trucks are running at. I'll record my results in a different thread as to not sidetrack yours. But I have to ask, do you find that running over 40mph of any use? I ask b/c I just ran my erevo (w/ 6" tires) at 30mph and it cannot do much besides go straight. It's even dicey to stop. My summit at that speed would simply be a waste of mah . Thanks for all the info.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by revodude14
    how do you get a 24t pinion to fit?
    I tried the 24t with the 68 spur... it would not fit. so I switched to a steel 62t spur with the 24t pinion and made an impressive
    24.8mph...in low gear!! that's faster than the stock high gear.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mulepic
    You inspired me to get my gps out and see what my trucks are running at. I'll record my results in a different thread as to not sidetrack yours. But I have to ask, do you find that running over 40mph of any use? I ask b/c I just ran my erevo (w/ 6" tires) at 30mph and it cannot do much besides go straight. It's even dicey to stop. My summit at that speed would simply be a waste of mah . Thanks for all the info.
    I just wanted to see what it could do. it is fun to have all of that power on tap. It has had a couple of amazing crashes though...like tumbling 5-6-10 times when I tried to steer while braking. I now have the 18t pinion on there with the stock spur gear. it can technically do 45 mph with the right tires but I keep it under 30 with the stock tires.

RC Qualifier
    Right, I agree. I think under 30mph for these trucks is the ticket.

RC poster
    Interesting.

Any speedmeasurments between 7,2 and 8,4v in stock?

RC Champion
    Have you had any issues with the slipper now that you've put this setup in it?

RC Competitor

slipper

Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley
    Have you had any issues with the slipper now that you've put this setup in it?
    I have had to tighten it up for high gear, but when I did my speed runs I rolled on the power and did not go full off the line. in low it just wheelie's off the line on full power....same in low gear with 16.8v, no problem with the clutch. it still crawls great though with no cogging.

RC Competitor
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 09-30-2010 at 05:58 PM.
    6s MMM c_no_summit & c_no_evo_8
    50mph to 150 mph!

good data guy i am currently doing the same on the dewalt various pinions and 4-5s, but my summits wheels and suspension needs fine tuning. beyond 25mph it gets wobbly.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Competitor

new lowered stance top speed run.

I switched my tires and wheels to ERBE and gave it a shot at the top speed for an 18t pinion / 68t spur with H.D. blue fronts and H.D. purple springs in the rear. just by lowering the stance and switching the tires out I got 15.5 in low and 31.3 in high gear with my MMM will test 6s lipos next!

here is a pic of how it looks now
    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...00220-1340.jpg
    50mph to 150 mph!

RC Champion
    lol, what is that?
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    lol, what is that?
    it's 50 MPH!!!
    50mph to 150 mph!

RC Competitor

50 mph with 6s lipos on balloon tires

Here is the top speed just achieved with 18t pinion, 68t stock spur, 6s 30c lipos, lowered, on ERBE wheels & tires (that ballooned up like crazy)

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...00220-1739.jpg

YEP 49.8 MPH. I tried switching to harder tires and was only able to achieve 48.5 mph. tested in a new smooth parking lot not opened to the public yet!
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 09-30-2010 at 05:59 PM.
    50mph to 150 mph!

RC Champion
    careful you dont hit a bump with that thing it will bottom so hard might shatter the GPS

RC Qualifier
    Great work. I was not of the opinion a Summit could do that without spending quite a bit of extra money and definately altering it. I appreciate the fact that you did it via gps and proved your findings. Good go there 4 sure!!!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    careful you dont hit a bump with that thing it will bottom so hard might shatter the GPS
    I got lucky, after my 3rd run trying for a faster top speed the summit started veering off course toward a curb so I turned it just a little too much causing the summit to roll/flip several times. the GPS flew out at this point and flipped end over end too . it escaped unscathed so far, but it does have a semi rubberized shell.
    50mph to 150 mph!

RC Champion
    I got lucky, after my 3rd run trying for a faster top speed the summit started veering off course toward a curb so I turned it just a little too much causing the summit to roll/flip several times. the GPS flew out at this point and flipped end over end too . it escaped unscathed so far, but it does have a semi rubberized shell.
    lol, thats exactly y i am afraid to strap my gps enabled cell phone on the roof and go. Even though at 23 mph the stock summit is much easier to handle.

RC Racer
    what sort of run times are you getting out of the 6s 5000mah mamba monster setup

RC Qualifier
    I get about 20-30 mins if running 6s on mine (MMM/2200, 5000mAh). It'll vary widely depending on how you drive it though.

RC Racer
    When i installed the MMM2 in my summit one thing i noticed is that u need to tighten ur slipper up. I tighten it as much ad possible then back off quarter turn with wrench and holding spur with fingers. Other thing is that u need to gear up from 14/68. With stock gearing i only got 30Mph with 4s. But when i geared up to 23/68 i got speeds of 43Mph. Now it cogs alil bit with that gearing in high gear but not in low. I recommend 18-20tooth with stock spur. Ul get good high gear gear and no heat problems. The 23tooth is ok for heat but u do need to be careful. I use trencher x tires btw.

RC poster
    I also run MM2 2200 and 18/68. With 3s directly from the charger i got 51,5 mph with pl road rage. Phone was taped on the roof with gps on. :-) i was luck because i lost control when i was at full speed and flipped over ALOT of times before i hit a wall. Both car and phone surrvived! :-)

RC Racer
    Wow so im almost going as fast as people with 6s lipos. Im going 45mph with just 4s and 23/68. And i got short tires on it. I could easily do 48-50mph with some taller tires. The funny thing is my truck goes fast now in low gear then the stock summit goes in high gear