RC Qualifier

How Do I Tell Early Summits From the Newer Ones?

I have a guy that wants to trade me a NIB Summit for a gas boat engine. I have heard the early ones had some problems. My question is this:

1. How do I tell if this is an early one

2. What problems did the early ones have?

3. What is the approximate value of a new Summit both early ones and latest ones?

Tnks for your help.

Curt

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by crrccarz
    I have a guy that wants to trade me a NIB Summit for a gas boat engine. I have heard the early ones had some problems. My question is this:
    1. How do I tell if this is an early one The only way I know of so far is the tires. Early production models have plain tires, while the newer ones have raised letters on the sidewalls that say "Canyon AT," and "Traxxas."

2. What problems did the early ones have? There was a bad casting of output shafts(part number 5678), while it is a pain to get the diff out, open it up, and change the gear, traxxas will send you the part for free. Make sure you get them to send the diff oil also!

3. What is the approximate value of a new Summit both early ones and latest ones? In my eyes, all Summits are the same, from the very first one, to the latest one off the line. They average $500.00 US dollars. Some find them for less, others pay more.

Tnks for your help. No problem, anytime.
    [QUOTE=Corrijo]Welcome to the crazed family of summit owners.[/QUOTE]

Serial #.The problem was with part#5678{sliding diff lock output shaft}There was a bad batch.traxxas sent the parts.Hasn't broke since.I think there still goin for around the $500 mark.It's a tough truck i've taken some bad falls 30 feet down a rock face then 15 foot drop of a ledge.Broke lower a arm bumper mount drove out of it and kept goin till my batt's died.Anywhere,anytime any weather......Priceless
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Did most of the early Summits have the sliding shaft and bad casting of the gear issue? Should I anticipate fixing this in advance? This one does not have raised letters on the tires.

Curt

oh and tnks so much for your input!!!

RC Champion
    I got one from the first batch shipped out and I haven't had any issues with mine. It's rolling the dice though - no way to predict if your will be one affected. If the deal is good then go for it, it's not like the damage can't be fixed. If it's not that good of a deal then you would be better off getting a new one from the store.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Qualifier
    Hi,I'm sure if you're sold an old one traxxas would replace the dodgy drive shaft.You register the truck with traxxas ,on the date of purchase,providing a serial number of the new truck.This will tell them when you got the truck and if it's an old one.As for price,look on the net,some shops are doing free shipping(US only) and free batteries.Spend some time brousing the bay and US hobby shops,you'll save money.

RC Qualifier
    Mine is also one of the early ones, without the letters, and I haven't had any problems with it.

Nate.
    [QUOTE=Corrijo]Welcome to the crazed family of summit owners.[/QUOTE]

RC Qualifier
    A buddy of mine had the plain tires on his Summit (bought March of last year) that he's had zero issues with pt# 5678. I thought it was odd that his tires weren't imprinted at all.

So it seems even with the early ones, it's still only some small percentage had the defective part(s).