RC Enthusiast

******* 3S LiFePo4 - 4500mAh Wooo Wooo

These 3S LiFePo4s are 9.9V and with everything else stock, just scream in my RTR (stock gearing).

Anyhow, I bought 3 of these batteries from HK and a ******* Accucel-6 w/power supply (ordered Traxxas connectors and soldered them in place).

HIGHLY recommend HK, these ******* LiFePo4s, and the Accucel-6!

I had to get the battery extender to make these batteries fit.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Does the added weight of those batts help settle down the rear end?
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Enthusiast
    Now that you mention it, yes. I was having so much fun, I didn't recognize it till you suggested it - I do remember the Slash not feeling as light weight and the back-end didn't want to swing around as much, so I could juice the corners a bit more.

RC Competitor
    How fast is the accucel charging the batteries. I looked at those lifepo's for my revo but they would not fit. The only down side to them that I can see is the weight, but the added lbs may be a positive for handling.

RC Enthusiast
    I can charge them at 5.0 amps - and the accucel gives the option of Fast balance charging and you can also dial in the exact rate, if you want, balanced or unbalanced.

Being that I wont deplete them during runs, the accucel-6 should charge them in 45 minutes or so. HK sent them nearly fully charged, so the initial charge/balance took less than 15 minutes.

The weight is a plus for the Slash 4x4 - I'm happy with them (glad the slash doesn't need two at a time...)

RC Competitor
    always balance them when charging it really help them . I still have my old self build LifePo4 packs but the square packs from ********* are fantastic . and cheaper than Maxamps ones. they weight more than lipo but the same as 7 or 8 cell Nimh packs . around 460 grams per pack I only run on lifePo4 never had a problem with them and the ********* ones are living to the expectation of my A123 packs

RC poster
    Hi I do have a question did you run the cut off on the esc. how was the run times?
    Dave

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    can't these batteries be ran almost dead?
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Champion
    Lithium Iron Phosphate? LiFePo4

How do you charge these? Like a Lipo?
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]

RC Racer
    You need a LiFePo compatable charger I think. My Hyperion has LiPo and LiFe settings!!
    Ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 02ram4by4
    Hi I do have a question did you run the cut off on the esc. how was the run times?
    Dave
    I would also like to know this... plus would you happen to have a pic of how it fit into the truck? That would be awesome!

RC Enthusiast
    I'll try to get a pick (have to charge my camera).

I ran the ESC like it was a NiMH - so no cut off and it worked great.

The LiFe can be run much lower than liPo can without the threat of damage/premature wear.

My ******* Accucel-6 charges any of the Lithium batteries and allows you to select per-cell-voltage (liFe is 3.3v), so my 3S LiFe batteries are 9.9V total, which was plenty fast for the 4x4. These can be charged at 5C and the Accucel-6 is 50W/5A, so charging, even balanced charging, is pretty quick for these 4500 mAh batts.

pics to follow...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Steadyhand
    I can charge them at 5.0 amps - and the accucel gives the option of Fast balance charging and you can also dial in the exact rate, if you want, balanced or unbalanced.

Being that I wont deplete them during runs, the accucel-6 should charge them in 45 minutes or so. HK sent them nearly fully charged, so the initial charge/balance took less than 15 minutes.

The weight is a plus for the Slash 4x4 - I'm happy with them (glad the slash doesn't need two at a time...)
    Regular lipos charge at 5 amps though 3s 5000s. So does life put out more amperage or something?
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RcPocketRocket
    Regular lipos charge at 5 amps though 3s 5000s. So does life put out more amperage or something?
    You're correct LiPo can charge just as fast, and 3S LiFe has only 9.9V compared to LiPo at 11.1V - so you can get more juice (and charge just as fast) with LiPo.

The advantage of LiFe is it's safer to charge/discharge and you can run it down a bit more in use - and, according to Maxamps, you can get up to 4 times the number of charge/discharge cycles with LiFe compared to LiPo, which is somewhere around 1000 cycles for LiFe.

I bought the LiFe because of how safe they are to charge/discharge and that they last quite a bit longer is a bonus. Understandably, at 3S, the 9.9V for LiFe vs. 11.1V for LiPo is a slight disadvantage. I will say, at 9.9V, the Slash 4x4 is a screamer!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    can't these batteries be ran almost dead?

I'm running them exactly as I run my old wedge A123 packs ...
    till the truck stop. drop into the charger and back to the truck no rest period or coling down time ... and still getting close to 35 min runtimes of pure bashing
    Last edited by lapiaz; 01-17-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steadyhand
    You're correct LiPo can charge just as fast...
    Are you kidding? No way a 5000 mah lipo can charge at 15 amps!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6
    Are you kidding? No way a 5000 mah lipo can charge at 15 amps!
    Some can and safely.

Woh, When did that happen lol! Where do you buy them?

RC Champion
    The Hyperion lipo packs claim 5C charging rate. Chargers aren't keeping up. LOL
    ------
    hmmm, I've never seen it spelled that way.

RC poster
    MaxAmps site looks like they are claiming 15c charging for their LiFe batteries, good luck finding a charger that can pump out the 75 amps needed to max it out. That is also with a 60c burst. I remember a recent magazine article where they abused a LiFe battery and even compared it with a Lipo by hitting each with a sledge hammer. The Life smoldered while the Lipo looked like molotov-cocktail.