RC Champion

PE Racers What is your setup? Im STUMPED!

I am starting to REALLY not like this truck. To the point of thinking about selling it. I cannot get it to steer for anything. How can the 2wd have oversteer and the 3 diff 4wd have NO STEER!?! I know they are 2 different platforms, but am completely amazed on how different they are. The only thing the same is they share the Slash name.

What I have tried:
    Slipper/diffs
    Slipper in/out
    Center diff still at 100k
    swapped the front and rear diffs ("30k" in the rear and grease in the front) That worked A LITTLE
    Losi 10k in front 3/4 full and "30k" in rear

Shocks:
    70wt all the way around with stock oil and springs
    50wt Losi in front with green Losi Springs
    35wt in rear with green Losi springs
    35wt in rear with blue Losi springs
    (all 2 hole pistons)
    Layed them down, stood them up etc.
    Sees no matter what I do, the truck bottoms on every jump

Sways Bars:
    Stock setup
    none
    front thin only
    front thick only
    front and rear thick

Servo:
    Disabled saver and added my own on the servo (stock seems REALLY weak)
    Changed servo to HiTec HS 645MG

ESC:
    Changed to Mamba Max ESC and dialed in some drag brake to get me into the corners. Still have no on power steering

Im at a loss here guys, Im not racing on dirt, and I think thats the root of my problems. Im running indoor offroad carpet with LOTS of traction, and several jumps I am able to float over easily. Even though the truck slaps chassis like a 2wd buggy, it does jump decent. With the center diff installed, the front EASILY unloads as weight transfers to the rear tires ALL THE TIME while on power. Down the straight, I get ballooning of the fronts.

On a good note: I have broken or bent nothing despite fighting the truck around the track for 2 days now. Ill admit, Im not the best chassis setup guy, but I AM a good driver, and can generally adapt my driving style to make a truck fast, but I just cannot turn a fast lap with this thing to save my life!!
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]

RC Racer
    What are you running for tires?
    "It's not a problem until it's on fire"

RC Qualifier
    When all else fails, do what the pro's do -http://www.revo-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5996

...actually, it's generally best as a starting off point. I haven't run mine yet, but it's pretty much setup the same as Tim's.
    I approve of this message

RC poster
    I'm with ya Ken....I can't get my PE to handle on the carpet to save my life. I've tried quite a bit and no real help. I haven't tried that set up mentioned above, so if you do, let me know how it works.
    Go big or go home!
    Slash 2wd, Bandit VXL, 4x4 PE

RC Racer
    Try the stock 4x4 rear hubs, the new PE aluminum ones have 1.5 deg. toe over the stock truck, might help slide the rear end around some.

Is there another 4x4 slash there doing well? If so i would talk to him and try to use his set up.

Its a new truck and you must try new things. I made the jump to a new SC 2wd. truck (I still love my Slash and wont sell it) But this thing was turd out of the box. After about 5 total change set ups i found one that is working so well that i am getting pm's from all the guys that have them now and want my set up help.

Me i would try 5k 7k 2k in the diffs, before changing out the rear hubs. and go up from there.

RC Champion
    Have you tried standing up the rear shocks from the top and laying down the fronts, running a really soft front (40wt/orange), with the plastic hubs?
    The #1 Traxxas RC fan, 12 years & counting!

RC Champion
    havent tried the plastic hubs yet. And theres no other 4wd's turning good laps at the track either. We are all hunting for what has been a very elusive setup!
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by marksp
    When all else fails, do what the pro's do -http://www.revo-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5996

...actually, it's generally best as a starting off point. I haven't run mine yet, but it's pretty much setup the same as Tim's.

I am pretty much using this setup, 60wt front, 50 wt rear, #2 piston(helps alot when landing flat off jumps), you might want to go with lighter up front so the weight transfers to the front quicker off power, Stock PE grease rear diff and 30k front diff, black sway bars front and rear, S1 stock tires, 2.5 degrees blocks in back and it handles great on Clay. I have not run on carpet. For more steering you might try swaping the aluminum hubs to go to 1 degree toe in the back, run the black sway in the back, silver or none in the front, keep thicker oil in the front diff and grease or very light in the back, and possibly change roll center to add grip up front as decribed in the manual.