Thread: Lights?

RC Qualifier

Lights?

Has anyone tried to fit a RPM light bar on the slash 4x4 to give it a baja truck look? Or mounted LED lights on the front bumper? I'd love to see some pics if anyone has any. I'm thinking about getting the light bar but wanted to see it first if anyone had one.

Thanks
    Thunder SM, Predator SM, Slash 4x4, ERBE

RC Qualifier
    I have, and it looks great!

Break it, so you can upgrade it!

RC Qualifier
    what lights are you running in them and how bright are they? Like how much visibility do the lights you're running provide?

RC Racer
    I run lights on almost all my rigs, and wifey's too. We have not been able to rely on them to "light our way" except for on our crawlers, but in fact at distance it helps you tell which car is yours and which way it is traveling. We run alot at night with friends at a small backyard track. The track lighting is getting better, but the lights on the car itself helps ALOT, especially with my old eyes, lol. I use led lights with resistors and hook them up to the + and - on the 3rd channel of the recievers.
    Hope that helps?
    Have fun.
    CasGar Bashers UnInc.
    Est. '02
    a.k.a garcol

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the input casgar bashers. I was trying to think of a way to hook up the lights so that they would come on when the ESC was turned on. Any ideas?

RC Racer
    I use christmas led lights that run on 3 AA batteries. I get them at a costume display place for $10ish for a string of about 20 lights. Then I cut and hack,lol. Na, they have built in resistors on each light so I can use them as I like. Just hook them up + to + and - to - in your configuration you wish, then get a plug for your reciever and again be sure + to + and - to - and plug them in. As you turn on your car the lights come on and off with your reciever, same as ESC.
    You can check polarity by applying power from the battery pack that comes with the set of lights and mark leads correctly. It doesnt hurt the LED's if you hook them up wrong, they just dont light up. But be sure voltage is correct. I have run them on voltages from 4.8 volts to 6 volts and everything seems fine.

Edit:
    http://www.christmas-treasures.com/A...FBLEDbatOp.htm
    I get mine from the local costume and display store.
    Last edited by CasGar bashers; 01-13-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    CasGar Bashers UnInc.
    Est. '02
    a.k.a garcol

RC Qualifier
    i bought 50 white, 25 red, 25 green, 25 yellow led's from ebay about $15 shipped and they include resistors tailored to your input voltage (around 6v for a reciever right?)

i drilled the inside of the front bumper for rpm light assembly, but cannot for the life of me find a safe place on the rear for the rpm canisters. they're gonna have to go on my 2wd, and i'll just strap red led's to the rear bumper supports.

if you come off the reciever, it will only be on when the ESC is on, and if you come off the fan plug, that'll probably work too.

also, you're going to need to put plugs in line to remove the bumpers after it's wired. jst plugs on ebay are 20 for 5 bucks. i also bought servo extensions too... they'd work fine just use 2 of the 3 wires...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by maxx919
    what lights are you running in them and how bright are they? Like how much visibility do the lights you're running provide?

I used the light set from RC4WD, it comes with an on/off switch, plug into the receiver, and have individual inline plugs for 19.95. Here's the link!

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=870

They look really good at night, but the truck is really to fast to use these to light your way. More like useable to see where the trucks at, and they look super cool...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by slash_racer
    I used the light set from RC4WD, it comes with an on/off switch, plug into the receiver, and have individual inline plugs for 19.95. Here's the link!

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=870

They look really good at night, but the truck is really to fast to use these to light your way. More like useable to see where the trucks at, and they look super cool...
    Yeah those look good! I think I might go with those. Then maybe RPM light pods for the front bumper and roof. I saw there were two styles available for the roof. A 4 pod setup and a 6 pod setup. Anyone know if they are designed any differently or if one is stronger than the other?

I just saw these. It would be $60 for a full set of lights w/ lifetime warranty. Does anyone have experience with these lights and the quality of them?
    http://www.rc-lights.com/Merchant/me...Category_Code=
    &
    http://www.rc-lights.com/Merchant/me...Category_Code=
    Last edited by maxx919; 01-14-2010 at 01:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    look around for rclights coupon, i think rpm may have had a $30 off?

i've invested about $30, including rpm canister, and now have enough led's and connectors to make a few dozen of these things. $65 is a bit steep... especially considering these will get busted up along with your truck...

with all that said i havn't put mine together yet, and some folks don't have the time to sit down and wire it up. but the cost to benefit is well in my favor i figure

RC Qualifier
    http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...4.htm#taillite

mention rpm during checkout, get $30 off anything made for rpm cans

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmorehouse
    http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...4.htm#taillite

mention rpm during checkout, get $30 off anything made for rpm cans

Yeah I saw that code. I'm just not sure how bright the cheaper LED's are going to be. Such as the kit sold by RC4WD. I may give the cheaper ones a try first though.

For those who mounted the RPM 4-canister light bar, how did you mount it to the front bumper? They're designed for the slash but do they fit the 4x4 as well?

Will the RPM slash front bumper fit the 4x4? I see you can mount the front 4 lights using their bumper design.
    Last edited by maxx919; 01-14-2010 at 04:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The RPM doesn't fit the front bumper, you could modify it though?

The RPM roof mounted light bar is extremely strong! I have landed on it several times and its still good to go!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by slash_racer
    The RPM doesn't fit the front bumper, you could modify it though?

The RPM roof mounted light bar is extremely strong! I have landed on it several times and its still good to go!!!
    Guess I'll have to wait for RPM to make a slash 4x4 front bumper then...

RC Qualifier
    It does not fit the 4x4. it could probably be modded to work though. It is to wide and the mounting holes do not line up.

RC Qualifier
    mine is mounted. lined it up on the inside of the bumper bar, drilled holes, then used a few screws i had laying around (coarse thread, like what the older traxxas models used, clipped to length)

came out great, the canisters fit right inbetween the bumper bar, and the raised part of the bumper. i'll take pics once everything's complete...

RC Qualifier
    http://cgi.ebay.com/105-X-3mm-7-Colo...#ht_2520wt_960

above not extremely bright at 5000mcd. i ordered white only at 18000mcd. they will be very bright. as the price goes up, the optics go up. output can be had cheaply though...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmorehouse
    http://cgi.ebay.com/105-X-3mm-7-Colo...#ht_2520wt_960

above not extremely bright at 5000mcd. i ordered white only at 18000mcd. they will be very bright. as the price goes up, the optics go up. output can be had cheaply though...
    Thanks. I don't think I want to mess with assembly though. I think I'm going to try out the RC4WD kit though and see how they are.

If you could please post a pic of your setup once it's completed! I'd love to see it

RC Qualifier
    certainly will. a much easier method is snagging a 3xAA battery holder, and running it in parallel to as many led's as you like, no resistors needed. really all it is- all positives go to positive, all negatives go to negative. i used to take out the middle battery as a switch. 2xAA would work if you're using nicd or lithium, i used nimh, 3.6v. again, cheap, easy, quick. running off the reciever requires resistors, which is easy too but more of a hastle if you don't have access to resistors or are unfamiliar with a soldering iron...

for the $$, the rc4wd kit looks pretty good, and i was considering it before ordering what i ordered

RC Qualifier
    i used these and thay work grate OH !! and the price at your lhs should only be 8 to 10 bucks .. no mod needed thay fit like glove very very bright

http://www.imexrc.com/servlet/the-16...GHT-SET/Detail
    IF YOU CANT FIX IT DONT BUY IT !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysd200
    i used these and thay work grate OH !! and the price at your lhs should only be 8 to 10 bucks .. no mod needed thay fit like glove very very bright

http://www.imexrc.com/servlet/the-16...GHT-SET/Detail
    Thanks. I don't have a LHS though...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by maxx919
    Thanks. I don't have a LHS though...
    You do sort of. Toy Town Hobbies is in Fuquay. Probably 46min drive from Chapel Hill. Still probably cheaper buying light kits on ebay.