RC Champion

??? About Lipo Charging

I am new so exuse me if I seem dumb.

When you set your charger up to the right cell count and charge rate and she starts pumping the juice in, Are you in reality charging untill you hit the required Voltage of 4.2 per cell... Or, are you charging untill your batttery hits its required mAh value of 5000mAh for example ?

I only ask because when Im done charging from a the "Storage" voltage, my charger dispalys the total mAh put into the battery and it isn't reading 5000mAh.

thank you in advance.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Enthusiast
    Since it was in storage mode its sitting at about 50% capacity so it should charge up only about 2-3k mah. Your charger will only show how much mah it has placed into the battery. It cannot measure mah. So if it said that the battery took 2500 mah then that is 2500 on top of what was already in there.
    Last edited by JKmike07; 01-13-2010 at 09:08 AM.

It will charge to the 4.2V/cell. Cell voltages above 4.2V can become unstable and dangerous. A pack at storage voltage retains much of its capacity so that is why you will not see the rated capacity delivered during a peak charge.

RC Champion
    Thanks, You guys are awesome.

I was just a bit confused because I have a mode where I can set the "Cut off mAh" which I had set to 5000mAh.

Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650
    Thanks, You guys are awesome.

I was just a bit confused because I have a mode where I can set the "Cut off mAh" which I had set to 5000mAh.
    That's more so a safety setting. A time it bites you is when charging packs parallel and have that set too low. I did that on my Protek once and took me 20 minutes to figure out why I only got 10 minutes of runtime. That's what you get when in a hurry. LOL

RC Champion
    So that setting means "It won't ADD anymore than 5000mAH" to whats already in the battery, not " It won't go above 5000mAh" total

RC Enthusiast
    Correct its kind of like a charging over ride. It will stop the charger @ 5000 mah instead of waiting until it reaches 8.40 volts.

RC Champion
    Again, I say,, " you guys are awesome"

Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If I remember right, my ******* 5ah are taking about 3000 mah to come up from storage.

also the vxl tends to end the party early, so you won't really run the battery down all the way to 9 volts either, meaning you probably won't ever see a full 5000 mah going into your battery.

But thats normal.

RC Champion
    Treating your lipos nicely you should not be putting back more than 80 - 85% of the total pack capacity at any time.
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughes500Bob
    Treating your lipos nicely you should not be putting back more than 80 - 85% of the total pack capacity at any time.

are you saying I should stop charging when the voltage gets to about 4 volts, or that I should set the mAh cut off way lower ?