RC Qualifier

Yet another MMM powered 4X4..

I love this truck. I just got back from running at the local 1/8 scale track, Revelation Raceway, and I can believe how well it handles for my driving style. This truck is definitely more at home on a bigger track with the buggies and truggies, as long as the Pros don't show up and run me over.

I burned my VXL motor and sent it back today. i installed the MMM 2200KV system out of my 8E and trimmed the throttle down to just under 60%. This thing is handles the power like a buggy or truggie. It runs on ******* 5000mah 4S LiPo. I got 40 minutes of run time with this setup. I would say its about as fast as it would be on 3S. The motor was warm to the touch geared 18/54.

I filled the rear diff with Losi 7K diff lube.

Excuse the beat up body. The material is actually very thin and doesnt last long.

Got some new "shoes". M3 compound.

The MMM Installed

Here are some pictures of some mods that I did while I was in to it.

I modded the motor plate since I was installing such a big motor. I drilled out the plate so that the motor was held on by 4 screws, instead of 2.

Then I got to thinking...How can I protect the shaft from the rocks that come through that big hole in the chassis...here is what I came up with.

Wrapped the shaft with electrical tape.

Then I heat shrinked over it.

An then installed it. No more gaping hole for rocks to come in and damage my pretty blue shaft. It works awesome and doesn't bind. There is only about 1mm of gap around the shaft now.

Thanks for looking!!
    Last edited by rlopez; 01-13-2010 at 01:59 AM.

RC Racer
    Thats really cool man. Wish I had an MMM. When you burned up the VXl what were you running? What battery and what type of driving?

How do those tires do? I know at the track mine seemed to slide out still with the stock PE BF Goodrich tires. If anything I was looking toward a knobbier tire.

Anyways man, thanks for reporting. Looks like a lot of fun. If your considering racing buggies you should check out one of the other guys posts, he turned his into a buggy.

RC Enthusiast
    The shaft mod Looks like the best mod out there

RC Competitor
    Sweet mod on the shaft! Very sano (clean!)

RC Qualifier
    You know I have to wonder,

The MMM/ESC combo is heavy. I wonder if the extra weight makes it a little more sure footed.. plus the bigger lipo
    Three Summits

RC Champion
    Such a SIMPLE idea on the shaft! NICE MOD!!!
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]

RC Qualifier
    I like the shaft mod... that might have just solved the dirt problem. Good work!
    MBX6T CC 1520
    CF Sav Flux CC 1520
    MERV Neu 1112

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys. I had to come up with something. Traxxas sent me a new one after the screw that holds the cover if the front almost cut through the shaft. It was over tightened. I couldn't bare to have the new shaft ruined by rocks.

The added weight of the motor, esc, lipo make it handle more like my nitro SC8 that I used to have. I could not get it roll over, even at higher speed through the turns. It just dug the rear in and roosted around the corners. I enjoyed driving it so much last night at the track!! The only down side is that it makes the rear end a little bouncy right now in some parts of the track. I'm waiting on a set of 4, front Losi shocks to play with. Once I get the suspension from sagging a bit in the rear I think it will be dialed.

Those tires work awesome on most all tracks and conditions. The 1/8 scale track is loose dirt with hard pack underneath and compared to a stock RTR that was out there mine looked closer to the PE that was running the same tires as me. The PE had less push through the corners though, but with the MMM it wasn't even a race It was all for fun though. Just rubbing fenders and trading scuff marks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Shaft mod is awesome, also very clean drilling job on the motor plate.

RC Qualifier
    Sweet Mod lets us know how it holds up!
    Velineon owners should have a couple of TRA3352 kits in their tool box $10.
    The motors a very easy to repair just a center core magnet with shaft and 2 bearings and a spacer. It's nice to have you motor fixed in 10 min, I've blown the bearings twice in my 4x2 velineon. One time the center ring on the bearing ceased to the shaft and I had to put it in a vice and tap the end of the shaft with a hammer. Also make sure to get all the little BBs out be for reassembling. After a day of dirt racing I take my motor apart and blow out the sand couple drops of 3in1 make sure the bearings still spin free and replace when needed.

I'm not sure if there is a kit for MMM but you can take then apart same way to clean.

You're not too old if you're still having fun!

RC Qualifier
    that driveshaft cover is a grat idea
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    What offset wheels are you running in the front? Looks to be a wider stance up front vs. stock. Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by frdvschvy
    What offset wheels are you running in the front? Looks to be a wider stance up front vs. stock. Thanks.
    The 4x4 uses slash rear wheels all the way around.

RC Racer
    Did the shaftmod on my truck. Thank you for a good idea!

RC Qualifier
    Awesome. Glad it worked out for you.

RC Racer
    That driveshaft protector is a good idea, nice =)
    http://www.strikingvisions.com/bash.mp4

RC Qualifier
    Got a new shell for it. Did it up like Rodrigo Ampudias's truck. I want to get the decals done in vinyl though.

RC Champion
    very nice truck, has the shaft mod held up?
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Qualifier
    Yes, its actually holding very well. Better than I expected!

RC Champion
    i wonder if regular rubber hose would give the same affect as long as the outier diameter is big enough to "plug" the hole.?
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Qualifier
    The rubber hose would have to sleeve over the shaft and touch nothing else. IMO, mods that touch ether the shaft or the chassis will generate heat and drag on the motor....but you never know until you try.

RC Qualifier
    Finished off the new lid. It ended up not being 100% Ampudia's truck but I still like the resemblance.

RC Champion
    ya i figured i would have to be careful and make sure the hose fit snug over the shaft and there was very litlle space between it and the chassis.
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Qualifier
    I also did this driveshaft mod to the specs listed here and it works and fits great! I did a little tape cover on the back over the slipper but if that doesn't work (which i don't think it will hold) i'll fab something up. Here are some pics...

Thunder SM, Predator SM, Slash 4x4, ERBE

RC Qualifier
    Looks awesome!!

I haven't noticed any thing coming in through the rear yet. But I'll keep and eye on it.

RC Racer
    Add me to the list of rlopez copy cats. The shaft mad looked like the best solution to me.

RC Racer
    I made a shaft cover using a bicycle tub. Glued to the transparent cover.
    Check out my thread, scroll down to see it: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=504492

There's also a template if you want to copy my mod.

RC Qualifier
    Panic, its not being a copy cat. I posted it to share with every one, so who ever liked the idea could "follow" it

Mark, that cover looks sweet!! If I ever get to bashing mine I'll have to make one of those

RC Enthusiast
    I've got a little question on the center driveshaft mod.
    how many turns of thje electrical tape did you use
    I don't have any fancy measuering tool

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Borntobewild
    I've got a little question on the center driveshaft mod.
    how many turns of thje electrical tape did you use
    I don't have any fancy measuering tool
    You know what, I didn't count them. What I would do if I didn't have a caliper, I would use a ruler or tape measure to roughly measure the opening and then wrap it, and place the shaft in there to see if I needed to add or take out some tape.

Hope that helps

Where do you get the heat shrink. Where do you have it done?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob
    Where do you get the heat shrink. Where do you have it done?
    just go to an automotive store and buy some with a diameter slightly larger than you need

then to shrink it, either use a heat gun (hair dryer might work) or carefully use a lighter, but be sure not to burn it
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    Its 1/2" heat shrink. You can get it at any electronic store, home repair shop, and most automotive stores.