Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    166

    Help me pick a motor for my Slash 4x4 monster

    Hey guys, would you choose the new XERUN (EZRun) 4168 or a Kershaw Designs "9L" for a Slash 4x4 running on 2s and 3s lipo? thanks

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NewYork
    Posts
    575
    prob. the kershaw 9L , i have a feiago 9l if youd like just shoot me a pm.

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottStaypuff
    Hey guys, would you choose the new XERUN (EZRun) 4168 or a Kershaw Designs "9L" for a Slash 4x4 running on 2s and 3s lipo? thanks
    for one you can get that motor cheaper elsewhere..
    second that motor is only rated at 2731kv and less amps so its slower and has less power than the stock VXL motor.. IMO the VXL motor is a much better built motor
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    166
    FWIW,ordered an "11L" for indoor racing from Hobby King a week ago or so, I have a lipo on the order that's backordered. Anyhow tonight I went ahead and got the Kershaw "9L" combo with 80a esc. By my calcs on 3s it should be around 640 watts. That's quite a bit for a 5lb truck!

    Where are you seeing watt ratings for the VXL motor? I've looked and haven't found any.

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottStaypuff
    FWIW,ordered an "11L" for indoor racing from Hobby King a week ago or so, I have a lipo on the order that's backordered. Anyhow tonight I went ahead and got the Kershaw "9L" combo with 80a esc. By my calcs on 3s it should be around 640 watts. That's quite a bit for a 5lb truck!

    Where are you seeing watt ratings for the VXL motor? I've looked and haven't found any.
    one the 9L motor has a much lower kv than the VXL so it will be slower and if you gear up to get the speed back it will cause the motor to pull its max amp and heat up faster..
    and Traxxas rates the max amp draw of the VXL at 100-105amps
    The VXL will kill the 9L
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sunny CA
    Posts
    20
    It's not all about the rpms. Remember the kv gives you the rotations per volt in IDEAL conditions. In reality there is friction in th drivetrain that puts resistance on the motor and keeps it from running at full efficiency. A larger more powerful motor will overcome the resistance more efficiently. If it was all about kv, you could put a 7700 kv 1/18 scale motor into an 1/8 scale monster and it would be faster than 2200 kv 1/8 scale motor. I think we can all agree that the motor would fry before that happened.

    Hope this cleared things up!!
    Thunderís Truck:mini revo E-Pain mob33l:mini slash

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    166
    I thought the VXL was good for about 500 watts max, I have one it is a heck of a little motor. However since I'm putting big tires on I wanted something with even more torque. Then stick the VXL in a yet to be bought RC (its a sickness).

    Anyhow, I would love to see dynos of all these motors including true kv, wattage and efficiency. One of the mags should do that!

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. asheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    7,361
    The VXL is a Fiegao S motor. The 9l will produce better power, and run cooler. It will have to be geared higher, but it will be the better motor. However the HC motors are junk, that motor is not appropriate for racing, and you can expect it to grenade if placed under any real load.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    166
    Thanks for the insight. You think the HK 11L will live at 2s?

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    The VXL is a Fiegao S motor. The 9l will produce better power, and run cooler. It will have to be geared higher, but it will be the better motor. However the HC motors are junk, that motor is not appropriate for racing, and you can expect it to grenade if placed under any real load.

    Not it is not... the can is bigger
    and any time you have to gear up to get the same wheel speed, you cause the motor to pull more amps, more amps = more heat
    the 9L motor is of less quality than the VXL motor and is not a efficient as the VXL
    FWI, my HC motor gets me 60mph+ in my ERevo on 4s 20/68 gearing, with over 100+ runs on it and no sings of slowing down!
    Last edited by filmmaker; 01-13-2010 at 12:39 PM.
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazercow
    It's not all about the rpms. Remember the kv gives you the rotations per volt in IDEAL conditions. In reality there is friction in th drivetrain that puts resistance on the motor and keeps it from running at full efficiency. A larger more powerful motor will overcome the resistance more efficiently. If it was all about kv, you could put a 7700 kv 1/18 scale motor into an 1/8 scale monster and it would be faster than 2200 kv 1/8 scale motor. I think we can all agree that the motor would fry before that happened.

    Hope this cleared things up!!
    The 9L is not as efficient as the VXL motor...
    were only talking 3500kv for the VXL.
    going down in rpm with almost the same size motor then having to gear that motor back up to get similar speeds will cause the motor to pull its max amps rating and cause excess heat, wasted mah power..
    IMO the 9L will work but not as well as the stock VXL..
    I have a 6L lying around that could be fun to try out in this truck
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. asheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    7,361
    Not it is not... the can is bigger
    and any time you have to gear up to get the same wheel speed, you cause the motor to pull more amps, more amps = more heat
    the 9L motor is of less quality than the VXL motor and is not a efficient as the VXL
    FWI, my HC motor gets me 60mph+ in my ERevo on 4s 20/68 gearing, with over 100+ runs on it and no sings of slowing down!
    The VXL is a Fiegao s motor. This was established many moons ago. The difference in length comes from the wire covers. The rotors are the same size, and that's what's important. The VXL does use a little higher quality bearings, but that only has do to with bearing life, not the power.

    Gearing up will draw more amps. However a lower KV motor will draw less amps, so they will offset. The only difference will lay in the efficiency. Which both will have a similar efficiency at those rpm's. To get to a certain speed your watts are what's important. Since amps x volts = watts , if on the same voltage the 2 motors will be drawing the same amps, at the same speeds, only difference being efficiency. However the bigger motor will have a higher amp burst on the way. That combined with the bigger rotor will give you more torque.

    BTW there is no way I believe that a HC motor runs 60mph on 4s, in an E-revo. I know what that takes, and it's more then even the KB45 motors can take efficiently. Perhaps your geared for 60, but unless you have gps confirmation, I don't believe it. But there is no way that motor will go 60 mph bashing day in and day out. All the xl motors I've had start to run hot at 40mph on 4s. There have been some reports of people getting lucky with the HC motors, but generally they blow rather quickly. Remember they are a low budget clone of a Fiegao, which is already considered a lower quality motor.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    The VXL is a Fiegao s motor. This was established many moons ago. The difference in length comes from the wire covers. The rotors are the same size, and that's what's important. The VXL does use a little higher quality bearings, but that only has do to with bearing life, not the power.

    Gearing up will draw more amps. However a lower KV motor will draw less amps, so they will offset. The only difference will lay in the efficiency. Which both will have a similar efficiency at those rpm's. To get to a certain speed your watts are what's important. Since amps x volts = watts , if on the same voltage the 2 motors will be drawing the same amps, at the same speeds, only difference being efficiency. However the bigger motor will have a higher amp burst on the way. That combined with the bigger rotor will give you more torque.

    BTW there is no way I believe that a HC motor runs 60mph on 4s, in an E-revo. I know what that takes, and it's more then even the KB45 motors can take efficiently. Perhaps your geared for 60, but unless you have gps confirmation, I don't believe it. But there is no way that motor will go 60 mph bashing day in and day out. All the xl motors I've had start to run hot at 40mph on 4s. There have been some reports of people getting lucky with the HC motors, but generally they blow rather quickly. Remember they are a low budget clone of a Fiegao, which is already considered a lower quality motor.
    The VXL is a Fiegao motor you are correct and not in the same run with the with the S cans!
    it is built differently
    Its like going backwards to get a lower kv motor of almost the same size then to have to gear up to match speed on the same battery!..
    getting a much bigger can that is more efficient with lower kv and gearing up is one thing like the MMM 2650 on 4s would be ballistic with the right gearing...
    or better yet take the 9L and run it 4s!
    that is what needs to done... lower KV on higher Volts gets you a better running car or truck.. lower temps and longer runtimes!
    not lower KV on the same battery and having to gear up to match speeds, that will cause excess heat and wear on the motor

    and the 60mph HC, look at my sig!
    sounds like you don't know what it takes, cuz I did it and run it every week, and my friends dig it..
    Last edited by filmmaker; 01-13-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Greenwood Bashplex
    Posts
    12,916
    So you are saying that if I go 4s, the motor will run cooler then with 3s at higher gearing?
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    124
    This motor moves the revo around really quick with a MMM on 4s... http://*********.com/*********/store...idProduct=6676 So that combo on a slash would be pretty sick.

  16. #16
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by RCA_Braden
    This motor moves the revo around really quick with a MMM on 4s... http://*********.com/*********/store...idProduct=6676 So that combo on a slash would be pretty sick.
    I actually have that motor on order! Hoping its pretty tame on 2s for an indoor track...

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6
    So you are saying that if I go 4s, the motor will run cooler then with 3s at higher gearing?
    bingo!
    using a motor with lower kv on higher volts geared the same, is a great way to get longer runtimes and cooler running gear..

    like this motor that is a great one by the way, is a good choice to run on 4s..
    it will have great power and consume less amps when geared the same vs a 3s or 2s setup
    http://*********.com/*********/store...idProduct=6676
    good find Braden
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Rotten Apple
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottStaypuff
    Hey guys, would you choose the new XERUN (EZRun) 4168 or a Kershaw Designs "9L" for a Slash 4x4 running on 2s and 3s lipo? thanks
    Why not a NEU. Or just keep it stock. My experience with EZrun is not good.
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    305
    the stock motor with 3s is more than enough, if you need to go faster than that then you need something bigger cause with 3s it is uncontrollable. Here is a video to show you how uncontrollable it is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9dAnUFumlM

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by RcPocketRocket
    Why not a NEU. Or just keep it stock..
    better yet Medusa!
    but they no longer build motors...
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. asheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    7,361
    The VXL is a Fiegao motor you are correct and not in the same run with the with the S cans!
    it is built differently
    The only main difference is that the Fiegao has wires that exit, and the VXL has solder tabs. As I noted the rotors are the same. That is what is important.
    Its like going backwards to get a lower kv motor of almost the same size then to have to gear up to match speed on the same battery!..
    The 9l motor was used quite succesfully with the E-maxx before most anything else was available, thinking that it is a step backwards from a VXL shows that you do not have longevity with your experience.
    getting a much bigger can that is more efficient with lower kv and gearing up is one thing like the MMM 2650 on 4s would be ballistic with the right gearing...
    or better yet take the 9L and run it 4s!
    Now your throwing in 4 pole motors. You can not compare the setups of 2-pole to 4-pole. They like different rpm's and amp draws.
    and the 60mph HC, look at my sig!
    sounds like you don't know what it takes, cuz I did it and run it every week, and my friends dig it..
    As I said, perhaps geared for, not running. It will not, if you say it will, then show me. Because It's not something I am willing to believe without proof. I have to much experience to believe it. You can just as easy put 70mph, doesn't make it any more true. Let me guess, your doing it on 80 amp *****'s


    The fact is that even on 2s, the 9l will be capable of higher speeds, and run cooler then the VXL.

    lower KV on higher Volts gets you a better running car or truck.. lower temps and longer runtimes!
    But the 5000kv Novak would be even better on 4s, then either, so throw that into your equation. Because this is irrelevant. Higher efficiency coming from a higher quality motor is what really makes the difference, and that is what all the Fiegao/ HC / cheap motors do not have.
    Last edited by asheck; 01-13-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

  22. #22
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    166
    I wish Castle (Neu) made 36mm x 60mm x 5mm shaft motors. I'm sure I'll be happy with the 9L in the Slash with the 5"+ tall tires.. I think the VXL will find its way into a 4wd buggy...

  23. #23
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. asheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    7,361
    Neu does make motors like that. They are the 1414 series. But since Neu bought the rights to Medusa, I wouldn't be surprised to see a more budget oriented motor coming. But I think the 9l will be a good choice, on a budget.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chino, CA
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Neu does make motors like that. They are the 1414 series. But since Neu bought the rights to Medusa, I wouldn't be surprised to see a more budget oriented motor coming. But I think the 9l will be a good choice, on a budget.
    You beat me to it. Invest your money in a 1400 series Neu motor instead. Buying a "feigao like" motor is just wasting your money. Your lucky to get maybe, 60% efficiency which means that what could be usable power gets turned to heat instead. 2 pole motors just plain suck!

  25. #25
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    166
    Looks like my next one may be the 2400kv 1409. I wish Tower sold more Neu stuff. What about the new XERun motors, they claim 90% efficiency.

  26. #26
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    1)The 9l motor was used quite succesfully with the E-maxx before most anything else was available, thinking that it is a step backwards from a VXL shows that you do not have longevity with your experience.
    2)Now your throwing in 4 pole motors. You can not compare the setups of 2-pole to 4-pole. They like different rpm's and amp draws.
    3)As I said, perhaps geared for, not running. It will not, if you say it will, then show me. Because It's not something I am willing to believe without proof. I have to much experience to believe it. You can just as easy put 70mph, doesn't make it any more true. Let me guess, your doing it on 80 amp *****'s

    4)But the 5000kv Novak would be even better on 4s, then either, so throw that into your equation. Because this is irrelevant. Higher efficiency coming from a higher quality motor is what really makes the difference, and that is what all the Fiegao/ HC / cheap motors do not have.

    Say what!
    1) going lower KV on the same battery and having to gear up is going backwards to a point.. the motor has to work harder to get to the same speeds as the VXL
    Longevity?????
    2) it was the example of going with a bigger and lower kv motor ran on higher volts..
    lower KV using Higher volts = more effective system!
    Is school in?
    3) If you cannot build it, don't bash on anyone here who can..
    20/68 gearing MMM esc on 4s gets me 60mph on the street... I bash using 3s.. 5000mah 30c packs
    and I did not build it for your whatever and no one on here owes you anything
    4) why put that in your whatever point your not making... 74,000rpm?
    I'm not talking about high kv motors on 4s
    Last edited by filmmaker; 01-15-2010 at 12:27 AM.
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. asheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    7,361
    the motor has to work harder to get to the same speeds as the VXL
    The motor is not working harder. They are doing the exact same work to get to the same speed. The only difference would lie in efficiency.
    it was the example of going with a bigger and lower kv motor ran on higher volts..
    lower KV using Higher volts = more effective system!
    Is school in?
    But going from a 2-pole to 4-pole motors are very different. Beyond just kv and voltage ran. The impotant thing is to have your motor in it's efficiency range. If you need to produce 2000 watts, then you need to worry about running a higher voltage, to lower your amp draw, when your in the 500 watt range, even on 3s, that's less then a 50amp draw. But generally running on higher voltages, to get to a determined speed, will decrease amp draw and run cooler. But it's the motors efficiency range that determines that.
    If you cannot build it, don't bash on anyone here who can..
    20/68 gearing MMM esc on 4s gets me 60mph on the street
    I know what it takes to run 60mph, day in and day out, and it's all that a MMM motor will do. Your on here saying that your HC 6xl will do that, which it will not. I have GPsed my E-revo at up to 62mph on 4s. It takes batteries capable of atleast 200amps, anything less will not do it. I have serious doubts that you really know how fast your going. You shouldn't make outrageous claims, if your not prepared to back them up Here's the calc sheet on your setup,

    Differential Ratio: 2.8461538461538462
    Transmission Ratio: 1.8333333333333332
    Other Ratio: 1
    Spur Tooth Count: 68
    Pinion Tooth Count: 20
    Total Voltage: 14.8
    Motor KV: 2779
    Tire Diameter (inches): 5.9
    Tire Ballooning (inches): 0.7
    Motor Current Draw: 0
    Motor Coil Resistance: 0.0041
    Spur/Pinion Ratio: 3.4 : 1
    Total Ratio: 17.74103 : 1
    Tire Circumference (inches): 22.93 inches (582.51 mm)
    Rollout: 1.29:1
    Total Motor Speed: 41129.2 RPM
    Vehicle Speed: 50.35 mph (80.88 km/h)
    Effective KV Value: 2779
    KT constant: 0.49 oz-in/A

    So I'm not sure who your trying to fool that this is a 60mph setup, unless your running 8in tires, it's not even close to geared for that speed. Then you can normally drop another 20% off that, so at best you might be running 45 or so.
    why put that in your whatever point your not making... 74,000rpm?
    I'm not talking about high kv motors on 4s
    Why put this in, because you obviously need to learn about efficientcy. You keep bringing up KV and Voltage, but ignore efficiently.
    lower KV on higher Volts gets you a better running car or truck.. lower temps and longer runtimes!
    I was giving you an example of where higher kv's on the same voltage will perform better. By having higher efficiency.

    You obviously need to learn alot more about the functionallity of brushless motors. Worry first about efficiency, and motor size, then figure the speed you want to run, and apply your voltage to determine the appropriate kv. The kv you want will vary between all different sizes of motors, poles, and brands. With the Fiegao's, the point of this thread, XL motors ,you generally want to keep your rpm's under 30000, the L's are good for around 35000, and the S can's, like the VXL are good for around 40000. Above that and the efficiency is so low, that the heat will build to fast. So the OP would want to drop his KV when stepping up in motor size.
    I would go over all the motors that I have experience with, but that would take more typing then I have time for.

    BTW the reason the lower KV motors, are rated for lower amps is because they give the max amp ratings, on the Max voltage rating, to achieve a max wattage rating . Not because an L motor will handle less amps then the S motors.

    If you need more schooling, just let me know, or make more wrong comments, I'll get you learned good
    Last edited by asheck; 01-15-2010 at 08:08 AM.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

  28. #28
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    98
    I'm NO expert, I'm a nobody period. BUT, if something (in this case; an rc motor) has to work harder than it's counterpart in order to produce the same speed as it's counterpart then I believe that "that something" is less efficient than it's counterpart...???

    man A = 170lbs. man B = 170lbs man A = skinny with average muscle mass and never "works out" man B = is NOT skinny, has ABOVE average muscle mass and "works out" 4 times per week man B can bench press 170lbs for 10 repetitions without stopping (20-30 seconds) man A can bench press 170lbs for 10 repetitions BUT it takes him probably 20 minutes because he is not in as good as shape as man B

    I believe man B is MORE efficient than man A

    Maybe I'm waaaay off base ???

    either way, if this thread keeps going the way it's going then perhaps some people will lose some chatting privileges.

  29. #29
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. asheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    7,361
    You have the right idea. But your analogy is wrong for this situation. It would be correct if you were comparing 2 identical sized motors, with different efficiencies, in this case we are comparing 2 similarly efficient motors, of different sizes.

    Think about it like this. 2 guys are lifting the same amount of weight, or in this case the same speed, both guys have the same type of metabolism, or in this case efficiency, but 1 guy is 140lbs of ripped muscle, or an S motor, the other is 170lbs of ripped muscle, or an L motor. Who would you expect to perform better when benchpressing 170 lbs ?

    In the case for both, The work does not change. The efficiency does not change. However the % of work to it's max available work does change. Which will make the smaller motor, or guy heat up quicker, as it is working closer to it's max.
    Last edited by asheck; 01-15-2010 at 08:48 AM.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

  30. #30
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    98
    you 2 guyz figure it out
    i was gonna say thats my 2 cents
    but
    i'm 1/2 as smart as you guyz (rc'ers with experience; i have none yet, as i haven't received my RTR 4x4 yet))
    so
    thats my 1 cent

    Jamie

  31. #31
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. asheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    7,361
    It's not a matter of figuring it out, it has all been figured long ago. Some people just don't get it, and make comments like this

    second that motor is only rated at 2731kv and less amps so its slower and has less power than the stock VXL motor
    The L motors are good for around 700 watts, the VXL, or S motor is good for around 450. These are commonly used specs that can be verified. So the L motor can produce more power.

    filmmaker is saying that his XL motor is great in a E-revo on 3s, yet a motor that is almost identical to his, only a little shorter, is less powerful then a motor that is , also identical, only half the size of his, because it has a higher KV. Then says how he runs his as a lower rpm 3s setup, because it's better, where he told the op that 3s was not going to be as good on the L motor compared to the VXL. Going by what he says, the VXL motor would be a better choice in the E-revo on 3s, because it's faster, with the higher KV But in reality the size of the motor must also be used to determine what will work best. When going up in motor size, you should go down in kv, and gear higher.
    using a motor with lower kv on higher volts geared the same, is a great way to get longer runtimes and cooler running gear..
    filmmaker needs to follow his own advice and get a 9xl to run on 4s The 6xl on 3s is an amp hog.

    Then says
    HC 6XL Revo 20/68 4s (60mph+)
    When the figures, once again , just don't back it up

    Differential Ratio: 2.8461538461538462
    Transmission Ratio: 1.8333333333333332
    Other Ratio: 1
    Spur Tooth Count: 68
    Pinion Tooth Count: 20
    Total Voltage: 14.8
    Motor KV: 2779
    Tire Diameter (inches): 5.9
    Tire Ballooning (inches): 0.7
    Motor Current Draw: 0
    Motor Coil Resistance: 0.0041
    Spur/Pinion Ratio: 3.4 : 1
    Total Ratio: 17.74103 : 1
    Tire Circumference (inches): 22.93 inches (582.51 mm)
    Rollout: 1.29:1
    Total Motor Speed: 41129.2 RPM
    Vehicle Speed: 50.35 mph (80.88 km/h)
    Effective KV Value: 2779
    KT constant: 0.49 oz-in/A
    BTW filmmaker, I hope you know this is all in fun , to make sure that people have the right info.
    Last edited by asheck; 01-15-2010 at 09:55 AM.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

  32. #32
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    166
    If it makes any difference, when I run the HC 11L, I only plan on 2s and definitely am not gearing up for max speed, maybe 25-30mph or so. If I want to go faster I'll throw the 9L in and possibly 3s geared for 40mph-45mph or so. I have another truck running 2S and a Castle 5700kv and I'm guessing it goes about 40mph and I'm very happy. Any faster (3s) gets pretty uncontrollable!

  33. #33
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    It's not a matter of figuring it out, it has all been figured long ago. Some people just don't get it, and make comments like this

    The L motors are good for around 700 watts, the VXL, or S motor is good for around 450. These are commonly used specs that can be verified. So the L motor can produce more power.

    filmmaker is saying that his XL motor is great in a E-revo on 3s, yet a motor that is almost identical to his, only a little shorter, is less powerful then a motor that is , also identical, only half the size of his, because it has a higher KV. Then says how he runs his as a lower rpm 3s setup, because it's better, where he told the op that 3s was not going to be as good on the L motor compared to the VXL. Going by what he says, the VXL motor would be a better choice in the E-revo on 3s, because it's faster, with the higher KV But in reality the size of the motor must also be used to determine what will work best. When going up in motor size, you should go down in kv, and gear higher.

    filmmaker needs to follow his own advice and get a 9xl to run on 4s The 6xl on 3s is an amp hog.
    Then says When the figures, once again , just don't back it up
    BTW filmmaker, I hope you know this is all in fun , to make sure that people have the right info.
    1) I was told by traxxas the VXL motor can pull 100amps (65a cont. and 100peak) and with a 3s that's over 1100watts peak! the can size between the two is very close and the VXL is a better built motor, it is more efficient, it delivers more power effectively
    2) and dang right my XL motor is a monster in my revo, when letting others drive it they hand me back the controls because it flat out ripps and they don't want to break my truck! It came with a VXL motor from ebay, that setup worked good on 3s but I wanted more for 3s bashing!
    and that's when the 6XL was bought (bigger can an lower kvs).. going from a L motor to the XL from the same manufacture is a big difference they are not the same...
    yep it is better for me to bash on 3s than 4s because of the high rpms on 4s and I don't want all the heat.. I have since put in a Medusa 3680 1600kv and I am looking for some great gearing to see about getting to 70mph in this truck.
    I've never said going up in kv with less volts is better!
    gong lower KV on higher volts is the best way to go, and you know what that's just what I did when I got my VXL powered ERevo from ebay, 3500rpm traded for a 2800kv motor.. So I am following my own advice!
    and for your speed calc. not sure what the the figure for tire growth is?
    and also the kv is higher on the HC motor than the Feigao motors
    Hmm and also you used the average 4s volts not the topped of charged packs of 16.8 volts!
    my gps was right at 60mph on 4s with the HC 6XL motor with 30c packs on the first pass, second pass was a bit slower and 3rd was just a little slower yet

    and the "this is all fun part", I do not see when someone wants to call out someone, specially when that person has done what they said they have
    Last edited by filmmaker; 01-17-2010 at 12:19 PM.
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

  34. #34
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,437
    Discussion is what these forums are about. Please don't make it a "me vs. the other guy" contest. It gets threads deleted or CLOSED.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •