Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

V-Twin (dual VXL-3s) E-Revo

First I made a plate out of some ABS plastic. I used a clear piece of plastic as a template so I could see the old EVX-2 mounting holes. Then traced that on to the ABS plastic. The plate mounts to the chassis using the EVX-2s mounting holes.

Then I placed the VXL-3s ESCs side by side. They had to be offset to fit.They actually screw down.

I made my unslow (parallel) harness a bit different. Notice the ESC wiring for reversing the rotation of the front motor. I used a servo Y harness for the ESCs.

Right now I'm running 18T pinions. I have not had much time to adjust gearing. Program the transmitter to the ESCs first thing.
    Why do this? A twin VXL set up? Its waterproof! Also if you have the motors or part out a couple of Slash 4x4s the motors become very cheap. This almost cost me almost nothing. Ebay fees if that. If you have enought to buy a Slash 4x4 then you can part it buy another and then youre done. Its cheaper than buying 2 VXL combos for $260.

RC Racer
    Nice! I can hear the forum erupting....

RC Qualifier
    Looks good but what is the mini servo for?
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

RC Qualifier
    looks like its for a 2-speed. just a guess..
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

RC Qualifier
    I guess this post could go in the brushless forum now :>)
    Lot of guys there would appriciate it. I am wondering if it would be worth it to convert my 3.3 over and run 2 VXLs I already have.

RC Qualifier
    Right now you are my god! I have been thinking of this for so long! I would like to know how you'r temps are, how the runtimes are, what batteries you are using and how the performance is VS a 4cell single motor setup? And, does anyone know if there is any difference betwen the motors that came with the old "non waterproof" esc's and the new ones? I'm asking because I have a vxl lying on my desk with a broken shaft, maybe I will buy a new magnet/shaft and buy two vxl esc's and another vxl motor if my waterproof mambamax/feigao combo quits on me. The vxl combo is so amazingly cool. i'm sitting here and wishes that I had never bought the mamba last week. I hope you will have a LOT of fun with it!
    Last edited by Manne; 01-11-2010 at 09:27 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Manne
    Right now you are my god! I have been thinking of this for so long! I would like to know how you'r temps are, how the runtimes are, what batteries you are using and how the performance is VS a 4cell single motor setup? And, does anyone know if there is any difference betwen the motors that came with the old "non waterproof" esc's and the new ones? I'm asking because I have a vxl lying on my desk with a broken shaft, maybe I will buy a new magnet/shaft and buy two vxl esc's and another vxl motor if my waterproof mambamax/feigao combo quits on me. The vxl combo is so **** cool. i'm sitting here and wishes that I had never bought the mamba last week. I hope you will have a LOT of fun with it!
    don't get so excited do a search for dual VXL and you will find ton's of people that have done this and hate it due to many reason's like weight and lot's more like being front heavy ...i doubt it is as fast as a single motor 4s setup but i could be wrong on this ...its really not such a great setup it might be water proof but it will cost you more than a MMM combo unless you happen to have everything already ...sorry to rain on your parade
    I know you wish you bought a tekin RX8

RC Qualifier
    hahaha i have done my reading, but i have only seen posts and threads about dual maxx trucks, no revos, just one on youtube, or? maybe there were one around here? but he did just stop answering questions after a while and i have never found the thread since that.... i have been using a single vxl setup in my revo and i liked it, traxxas velineon project were 50mph plus.... but i think that one had heat issues and were overgeared. if you gear for 40 or 35, you might have a good working setup? tell us Mr it8ezbngrn how it works for you

RC Champion
    If it was done on a Maxx truck and wasn't all that it was cracked up to be, what makes you think it will be different on the revo?

I always find the V-Twin setup to have a "cool" factor to it, but I wouldn't go that route personally. More to go wrong, way more complicated, truck doesn't look tidy at all. Even if I already had the motor/esc's I'd rather sell them in favor of a single motor setup.

RC Qualifier
    Well for those of us who live in wet climates, cover the zip-tied wiring up with a lid, and are not speed demons; this could work well.

I for one am looking forward to seeing how this fairs out.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS
    If it was done on a Maxx truck and wasn't all that it was cracked up to be, what makes you think it will be different on the revo?

I always find the V-Twin setup to have a "cool" factor to it, but I wouldn't go that route personally. More to go wrong, way more complicated, truck doesn't look tidy at all. Even if I already had the motor/esc's I'd rather sell them in favor of a single motor setup.
    Yeah but the waterproof is awsome. I might go this route as waterfroofing the MMM was turining into a major project. This might have a little less punch but I like the fact its set up for snow ETC

RC Qualifier
    its 2010 the future! why can't we have waterproof BL setups ..we have sent robots to mars we have a laboratory in outter space. and one offshore 70 feet below the sea. we can transplant hearts livers reattach severed limbs clone animals. but not waterproof a circuit board? there is a mini sub that can reach the bottom of the marianas trench! a depth of over 30,000ft.
    E REVO 3.3 t maxx wheels/tires 80a 2330kiv ezrun

RC Enthusiast
    Dear Haters,
    I did this for one reason. Waterproof. I am well aware of the Mamba Monster and other ESCs and motors. I do not live in a cave.
    I also bought a 2 new Slash 4x4's for $329ea from Tower. Pulled the motor and ESC. Sold the chassis radio batts and tires seperate for a combined total of $345 ea. I could of got more on the chassis too. So The $15 from each left over went to ebay fees and the rest is the cost of the ESC and motor combo. So I got two VXLs for $30 or less versus paying $240 for a MMM. I may not beat you on land but I will beat you under water.

Now for the folks intersted in doing this....
    I'm sticking with 7 cell 4600mah nimhs cuase I had them and they are more water friendly. I had to purchase a servo Y cable and some 12ga wire. I had the plastic plate laying around. Last night I ran on batteries that I had laying around for a month and did not know what thier condition was. Using 18Ts the speed was about the same as a brushed with fresh batts and the motors were barely warm. I also had a pinion back off teh shaft. Gear mesh was noisy. So I am going to start fresh tonight and continue testing the gearing.
    What is probably the most important part is to program the ESCs to the radio first thing. Also remeber to do teh unslow harness which is just paralleling the batts together so the ESCs see teh same voltage. Helps keep them "even". This was all a piece of cake it. It took longer to make the plate and mount the ESCs. I never really drive this, its my snow toy and family loaner and to spend $240 on it was not sensible. But I could front some money to part out some slashes in order to do this for almost nothing. It was this or buy a another Slash 4x4. I didn't want to and this is a unique R/C and is fun in different ways and can handle deep snow and plow through tall grass and weeds. So I will post updates with gears and motor temps till I get the right combo for me.
    Last edited by it8ezbngrn; 01-11-2010 at 06:43 PM.

RC Qualifier
    definitely keep us posted!

RC Enthusiast
    Batts are low I can see it get slower. 18T seems like too low of a gear. Wheelies for 50+ feet. pulls the front wheel off the ground comming out of a corner. Top end could be better. Running around and doing a lot of long WOT passes the motor and ESC temps are the high 80's. Body is off and its 50 degrees outside. Going Try fresh batts later and then go up to the stock E-Revo 19T pinion. To go higher I will need to buy some pinions.
    Seems like its way torquer and faster in 2nd than first. I thought it would be stupid torqy in first. Hmmm.

RC Qualifier
    Wish i had my 21T pinions.

If you are low 80s then yeah time to gear up.

In first i bet the slipper is kicking in from the low end torque...

RC Racer
    in know this isnt as fast as the mmm but is it sort of close cause i might want to try it

RC Qualifier
    Sounds nice but i would like to see some 3s Lipo running and temps. As stated before, the waterproofnes is the main thing. A lot more power then a brushed setup, maintence free and waterproof. Keep up the good work!

RC Champion
    First off, I think it does look Tidy. My twin Titans look no worse. Actually, aside from performance and feasability, this truck looks trick. Sharp looking Vileneons, dual ESC's, fat wires tied up nicely... I think he did a great job and invested enough time to do things the right way. And yea, its now waterproof! That was the goal. Sure he could go with one motor and gear it down a ton but this should do the trick for him.

Its too elaborate for me to bother with, I would rather waterproof a MMM an d go that route, but that is only me. If I had the parts in front of me though, I would try this too.

Someone mentioned front heavy... If you can overcome that in the air, then its perfect. Wheelies are cool but staying planted is always nice when trying to run hard. I doubt its any more front heavy then my brushed stocker.

I say KUDOS!!!
    Phs 2 S-Maxx build- 24/54 gears. Can U say faster?

RC Champion
    i have read around and seen a lot of these done!! e revo and maxx trucks. i think it is very cool and well he still has his warrenty on them vs if he did this with a mmm he would kill his warrenty buy waterproofing the esc. i plan to do this between now and this time next year to a maxx truck.

plus it hardly cost him anything other then some time and effort, as far as it being front heavy, i dont see the vxl motor being any heavier then the titan as stated above!!
    Last edited by rustler09; 01-12-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Racer
    i would love to see 2 3s lipos in there

RC Champion
    How well does the shift system work? Is it a "shift on the fly" deal or is it more like reverse on a nitro where you have to stop completely before you activate it? I want to install it on mine but looking for some feedback before I drop the dough on it.

RC Racer
    Couldnt you of just sold the 2 vxl combos and bought a mamba monster? I paid $200 for my mamba monster. You could easily get $100 for each vxl combo.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by it8ezbngrn
    Seems like its way torquer and faster in 2nd than first. I thought it would be stupid torqy in first. Hmmm.
    Mine with Dewalt and 2 speed is the same. It will wheely better in 2nd. I think it's because it runs out of rpm's too fast in 1st. If you try to crawl or play around on some very rough terrain or steep hills then 1st becomes invaluable. Very controlled speed and the higher torque will become evident. 1st gear is great in heavy snow as well when the wheels get packed with snow.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAXXTER
    How well does the shift system work? Is it a "shift on the fly" deal or is it more like reverse on a nitro where you have to stop completely before you activate it? I want to install it on mine but looking for some feedback before I drop the dough on it.
    When my Titans were still alive I was not that impressed by the 2 speed. Was too slow in 1st. Now with the Dewalt I have it geared higher and gained about 3 mph in 1st and 6 mph in second. Much more usable and I run 90% of the time in 1st in the snow. During warmer weather then I only used 1st about 10% of the time.

Yes it is shift on the fly. You get the choice of a wide(50:1) or close(30:1) ratio 1st, and 2nd is the same as stock gearing. You can shift from 1st to 2nd anytime if you run the close ratio gearing, but it will only shift when there is no load on the driveline. A simple ease of the throttle will allow it to shift at speed. 2nd to 1st shifts require you to slow way down, but there is no need to stop.

RC Champion
    Awesome! It would be a no go if I had to stop everytime. I can see many occasions where I would like to shift on the fly.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RCA_Braden
    Couldnt you of just sold the 2 vxl combos and bought a mamba monster? I paid $200 for my mamba monster. You could easily get $100 for each vxl combo.
    Allow me to reiterate... As he mentioned before, this is his back up truck that he keeps going for his family to use and his goal was WATERPROOF! Lets not argue the fact that the Mamba can or cannot be waterproofed. That is personal preference and risk. The fact remains, VXL is waterproof with a warranty, Mamba is not.
    Why beat him up over his set up. He didn't post his efforts to be bashed and ridiculed. Whether its an original or practical idea or not, he posted to give others a little help and to offer his findings and experience. I enjoy threads like these a lot and I find it sad when others choose to bring negativity to the plate.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAXXTER
    Allow me to reiterate... As he mentioned before, this is his back up truck that he keeps going for his family to use and his goal was WATERPROOF! Lets not argue the fact that the Mamba can or cannot be waterproofed. That is personal preference and risk. The fact remains, VXL is waterproof with a warranty, Mamba is not.
    Why beat him up over his set up. He didn't post his efforts to be bashed and ridiculed. Whether its an original or practical idea or not, he posted to give others a little help and to offer his findings and experience. I enjoy threads like these a lot and I find it sad when others choose to bring negativity to the plate.
    You need to chill out. No one is beating him up over this, so stop taking it personally. People are simply asking "why" which is not an unreasonable question. This is a public forum, not everyone is going to give you praise for doing something different and that's never going to change. Take a deep breath and calm down.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks T-Maxxter.

Also another point I had was I still have the "1/2 power" option for kids, family, GF etc. Even if this was only as fast as the stock setup, I would still be happy. I have almost nothing into it. I have alot less maint. The run time used to be 20 min at best. The other motors always needed to be cleaned and re-oiled and I ran Outerwears covers. I was having issues with it just running cruddy and hot last summer. It was seriously getting on my nerves. It had to go BL or just GO! When I got my Slash 4x4 I put them side by side and said to myself, "I have to keep it" So I looked on ebay and saw Slash 4x4 Rollers going for $$$ and said nows my chance.

Definatley Better on the stock E-Revo 19T pinions. Temp outside is 50 degrees. Running with no lid, in the wet and using 4600 mah 8.4 7 cells I got temps of 90ish. ESCs were high 80s or something batts were staying cool. This is after 5 or so minutes of just WOT passes and some short course type driving. SO I need to try again with the lid on. Its about all I can do for now. Out of pinions. So off to the LHS for so 20 maybe 21Ts. I think I may stop there. Its pretty quick and still rides a wheelie for a ways. Torque is still good and plenty for a course and I want to keep it that way. Also I have to take account that I usually run this in the summer in a dry 80 degree to 90 degree climate.

I got the 2nd speed option kit as a safety. My 5 yr old nephew drives this also. It was more effective when I had the brushed motors. That way I had 4 levels of speed. 1/2 power & 1st gear, 1st gear & full, 1/2 & 2nd, 2nd& full. In other words- nephew, niece, brother & me. Also it would allow for more run time and that would keep him "busy" longer. A downside is that the micro servo is not digital. So I can't use HRS on my Futaba.

The dual Futaba S9351s have been working flawlessly. They are Water Resistant. But they use the 2 letter designater WP on the Futaba site. So I'm guessing that they same "resistant" to avaoid any claims.

The servo Y harness has liquid electrical take at the wire ends and the Shrink wrapped and the ends zipped tied. The Y harnes for the servos I just used electrical bulb grease in teh plugs then shrink wrapped and zip tied. It could be cleaner if I just shortened the wires, soldiered all the connections and got rid of the plugs. I didn't want to void the ESC warranty.

RC Enthusiast
    Oh Its doing better over speed bumps at full speed now. But I have not tried it at the BMX track or my brothers MX track. Well see if suspesion changes will have to be made. If it nose dives. It just to do fine on the jumps and bad over the speed bumps so yes weight must have changed. The two 7c nimhs don't help with the over all weight but may be a benefit balancing it out in the air. And being able to ballon a tire probably helps too.

RC Champion
    You need to chill out. No one is beating him up over this, so stop taking it personally. People are simply asking "why" which is not an unreasonable question. This is a public forum, not everyone is going to give you praise for doing something different and that's never going to change. Take a deep breath and calm down.
    I wasn't taking it personally until you chimed in so thank you for that. I'm a grown adult reading thread after thread of people bashing other people's work. Maybe this isn't the best example of "bashing" but the point remains. I'll chill out if you re-read this whole thread. There is more than just "why" posted here. If I knew how to quote more than one, I would, but he was the last to ask a question that was already answered on page one. It started sounding "picky" which is just not necessary here.

I see your side and I respect your opinion. Just understand that despite this is public, common courtesy applies everywhere. If you can't say anything nice, don't say it. If you have constructive advice, give it that way. I don't care if some won't give "praise". Just don't be a jerk about how its not worthy of praise. There is no need to blab about everything he should have done different or how it was money poorly spent. He obviously has a strong mechanical sense so I'm sure he planned it all quite well. That's all I will say on that subject as this is not the place as you said as well.

RC Champion
    No one was being disrespectful or bashing, thats the whole point. Sure people were asking questions and giving their opinions but no one was out of line or insulting by doing so... So really, your point most certainly does not remain, since the things you just said you have a problem with aren't happening in this thread.

RC Champion
    imo everyone who is saying "why not the mmm" is being disrespectful!!
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Champion
    No one was being disrespectful or bashing, thats the whole point. Sure people were asking questions and giving their opinions but no one was out of line or insulting by doing so... So really, your point most certainly does not remain, since the things you just said you have a problem with aren't happening in this thread.
    Now I realize why your so mad at me... Your the one with the negative remarks I was thinking of. Your upset because I called you out on page one with the whole "truck doesn't look tidy at all" thing. It turns out that the only person you were sticking up for was... you! Ok. Maybe the guy asking "why not the MMM for the same price" was just not reading thoroughly but you clearly did. What's your excuse? I said I wouldn't say anymore and here I go again. I'm done, again. Sorry it8ezbngrn. Didn't mean to contribute to ruining your informative thread. Keep the updates coming.

I wonder if the 50 degree temps are enough to keep everything so much cooler then they would be in your typical summer temp range? I find with Nitro that temps aren't effected too much until the air temp drops near the freezing range. I know its apples and oranges but the load is what causes most of the heat and my nitros can overheat in cool or hot weather from running hard. Then let them sit and idle and the temps actually drop even in summer. My point is that I bet the summer isn't going to raise those temps you have now all that much, maybe 20-30 over outside temp? Just a guess but I think you'll be fine.

RC Enthusiast
    I have a dual VXL Maxx. A lot have told me not to do so but it has been running great for around two years now. I run 3s Lipos and it is stupid fast. I break alot more now. I like the idea of this for waterproofness. I do not have a Revo but I do have a Summit. I wonder if there is enough room on the Summit to do this?

RC Champion
    If I was mad at you for your reply, I would have replied to you sooner, but I didn't. I responded when I saw you lash out at ANYONE who didn't share your opinion.

My excuse? Excuse for what? I said it has a cool factor but I don't think it looks tidy, my opinion hasn't changed and I certainly don't need to make excuses for it nor was I disrespectful in saying what I said. You said you think think it does look tidy, which is fine.

I unlike you, I realize people are entitled to their opinions. That's why when you gave your opinion I kept my mouth shut. But when I and others gave their opinions, that didn't happen to agree with yours, you had to respond. People are going to disagree with you, get over it.

I am thoroughly impressed by how much you care about this thread. Lets see if you care enough to control your emotional outbursts and stick to your word (this time) and not respond to this.

RC Qualifier
    2is I think you are right. So let's not speak like that anymore. That was some very nice temps, wonder how much they will increase with lipos? New2maxx, what batteries are you running? And have you used it alot or just a little under those two years?. Have you had any issues with the setup under there two years? Esc failur or motor failur? How,s the heat for you and what gearing are you running?

RC Champion
    ...( )...
    Last edited by T-MAXXTER; 01-13-2010 at 08:01 AM.

RC Racer
    Why are you guys trying to get this thread closed?
    T-maxxter how did I bash his setup?
    I just simply asked wouldnt a single setup be easier? No need to get your panties in a bunch. This build is cool and unique and I have not seen it before in a revo, although I would have went (and did) go a different route thats cool, i respect that (and maybe you should too).
    Rustler09, how is saying that I (yes ME!) would of went a different route or asking his reasons for not choosing a single setup rude?

People really need to chill out over the internet... Im sure enough of us deal with stupid stuff in real life.

OP that very unique and cool, good job on keeping it clean and +1 for trying something different.
    Last edited by RCA_Braden; 01-13-2010 at 05:38 PM.

RC Champion
    Mods, its time for a clean up including ALL of my posts. Obviously its all my fault so clear me out of it. I wanted to let it be and its not working that way. Sorry to all for ruffling feathers. I had no point and never did, and never do. Despite who agreed with me, its not worth ruining what could still be a fun thread to follow. Again, sorry. I'll stick up for my own threads from now on, if I even bother to ever start one again.