RC Competitor

Traxxas Link TQ4 End Points

I have a few questions about the new Traxxas Link (specifically the upcomming TQ4 version). These questions are based only on information I saw in the Addendum Menu Tree and I may be missing information available elsewhere.

I was hoping to get a Traxxas Link TQ4 and a few extra receivers to use in my Revo, Summit, and a crawler which has 3-position dig capability.

1) Is there really no other adjustment on channels 3-5 other than servo reversing? I had assumed that it would have at least end point and trim controls but these are not on this menu tree.

That is correct, reversing only on 3, 4 and 5 --Pete

2) Channel 4 is labeled Front T-Lock and channel 5 is labeled Rear T-Lock. Does this mean that the Traxxas Link system will take over the operation of the T-Lock module (and therefore eliminating the need for the T-Lock module)? (You are correct --Pete) This would be nice for my Summit, but would channel 4 be able to operate the same as it has in the past if I want to use it for my 3 position dig? This answer to this probably relates to the answer for question 1.

"Channel 4," meaning the 3-position switch, is actually two channels (4 and 5). Flipping the 3-position switch from the Up position to the Middle position will move the Ch-4 servo from full left throw to full right throw (or vice-versa, if you reverse it).

Flipping the 3-position switch from the Middle position to the Down position will move the Ch-5 servo from full left throw to full right throw (or vice-versa).

The 3-position switch does not select three positions from one servo, so you are correct, it would not operate your 3-position dig unit properly. --Pete (Traxxas Employee)
    Last edited by PeterV; 03-03-2010 at 01:48 PM.

RC Competitor
    OK, thanks. I guess I will get an alternate radio for all my other needs.

RC poster
    ya, funny how a simple enough question like this, on their own forum leads to no replies...

I've heard that you might be able to rewire the controller so that channels 1 and 2 are moved to the red thumb switch and silver switch next to the wheel, therefore moving channels 3 and 4 to the wheel and trigger. This way you can have end point adjustment on the auxiliary channels, but you would also have to re-wire the steering trim along with it.

I would like someone from the company to confirm or deny that this is possible (or even necessary, if there are end point adjustment capabilities on channels 3 and 4) I'd love to know that before buying this radio.

Anyone?

If there's ever a time you need Official Traxxas Guy Action, shoot me a message at pvieira@traxxas.com. Sorry I missed this one. --Pete
    Last edited by PeterV; 03-03-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Your best bet would be to contact Traxxas Customer Support. The TQ4 is relatively new and the 1st Traxxas radio system to be 2.4 ghz...

But opening up the radio and making any mods will void the warranty.

How many channels do you need to set end points on?
    If your using multiple RC's you might just want to get a nice aftermarket radio system. But I do not know of ANY ground radio systems that support more than 3 channels with end point adjustments.....
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 01-21-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    Your best bet would be to contact Traxxas Customer Support. The TQ4 is relatively new and the 1st Traxxas radio system to be 2.4 ghz...

But opening up the radio and making any mods will void the warranty.

If your using multiple RC's you might just want to get a nice aftermarket radio system. But I do not know of ANY ground radio systems that support more than 3 channels with end point adjustments.....
    I want 4 channels with end points on channels 3 and 4. I don't need epas on steering or throttle. I'm awaiting a reply from PeterV about whether it's possible to re-wire channels 1 and 2 with 3 and 4...

I believe it is not; the new 2,4GHz radios don't have that "cut and splice" modability of our simpler systems (and I don't officially condone those mods anyway, since they void warranties etc. I'm talking to knowledgeable hobbyists as a fellow modeler here, so I'm not going to hammer on that point--you guys know what's up). --Pete

I run Scale Trail rigs, so I've got:

Steering
    Throttle
    Winch control (need at least 3 position with end points)
    2wd/4wd transfer case (need at least 2 position with end points)

Also in a crawler, being able to set the EPA for a dig is necessary to prevent the dig servo from burning out.

Ground systems with 4 channels and epas... hmm... there's at least the:

Futaba 4pk
    KO Propo EX-1UR (new version is 4ch)
    Modded TQ4 1st gen 2.4ghz (but no model memory)
    and, well, I can't think of any more right now, but both the futaba and KO sytems are a lot more expensive than a 2.4 TQ4-HO system would be.

If it's not possible to rewire the channels, I was going to transplant the guts of a 6ch air radio into a custom TQ2 to do what I need. It would be nice to have something that worked out of the box for less than $300.
    Last edited by PeterV; 03-03-2010 at 01:52 PM.

RC Competitor
    I need 3 to 4 channels with end point adjustment depending on the RC I am running at the time.

If your using multiple RC's you might just want to get a nice aftermarket radio system.
    I believe that Traxxas is marketing this as a nice aftermarket radio for multiple RC's. In fact, they claim to have thought of everything...

Thanks for your help though. It would seem the safe route is to purchase another brand which I know is capable of doing what I want it to do. This would be a shame since I still don't know for sure that the TQ4 Link can't do what I want it to do.