RC Qualifier

Cap't Shes breaking up!!!

OK went up to the LHS tonight to try out the indoor unheated off road carpet track. As I walk in I see LHS employee opening boxes of 4x4 PE's and breaking them down for parts one after another, woohoo parts!!! Bout 10 min in caught some respectable air and landed the rear tire on the track divider snapping the lft rear bearing carrier. So I got a set of STRC silver bearing carriers meant for 4x2 slash $20...

So then I get back on the track and crack hit the wall, broke 4 more parts!
    Chassis
    Front Bulk Head
    Center Drive Shaft
    Front Drive Hub

Thank God my LHS had the parts and sold me the rest for $35 totaling $55 in damages tonight! Would have been a little cheaper if I got plastic carriers.
    Now time to rebuild lol I love breaking stuff!

New Parts
    You're not too old if you're still having fun!

RC Qualifier
    With further inspection the Center drive shaft is operational just cosmetically damaged.

RC Racer
    Is the chassis really flexin' enough that the steering linkage hits? I read where someone else said the linkage hit on theirs. When I got mine and have looked at I said "nahh" but after seeing your pics it makes me wonder. I haven't run mine yet. Thinking about getting rid of the nut on the threaded steering rod to prevent any rubbing.

RC Qualifier
    How cold is it where you live? not to bad for hitting a wall.

kingsxjt, the servo horn does hit. But a radio that allows you set your end points takes care of it.

RC Qualifier
    it was 24 F outside track is is an unheated warehouse. I Love my 4x4 This would be a boring hobby if all you did was drive, hop up and repair is 70% of the fun!

RC Enthusiast
    Man i'm getting a bit worried about the 4x4's breaking this often, i don't think it sould break at -4celcius

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borntobewild
    i don't think it sould break at -4celcius
    What?? Really? Anything under 40*F makes plastic brittle...really probably less than 50*F will do it...under 30* it's like glass...
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Enthusiast
    really, there are a lot of plastics witch wont break onder 0 celcius.

RC Champion
    When I first saw the chassis design I was concerned with the way the front and rear ends attached to the main chassis. It seemed like an aweful weak design for something that gets bashed as hard an an SCT does. I've beaten the snot out of my 2WD slash and only broken one rear arm even in below zero temps here in Chicago.

With all of these reports of broken parts and now chassis's I'm starting to think the 4x4 is a little too weak for my driving style.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmmm very interesting! I do like reading about these failures and seeing how they happen.

I broke the t-maxx driving in the snow with a very soft hit. I know the plastic gets brittle.

We won't really know how durable the 4slash is until spring.

RC Qualifier
    Man that was quite a hit... COOL!!!!
    Slash 4X4 PLATINUM EDITION, Revo 3.3 Crawler

RC Qualifier
    The servo arm definitely has the potential to hit the shaft (my RTR did out of the box). Needs to be checked first time out of the box.

RC Qualifier
    i have run myne in about 10 degrees F and hit my house by accident, and it didnt do any damage. i just backed up and kept on running!
    Slayer, Slash 4x4 (MMM/2650kv), & a Summit

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Borntobewild
    really, there are a lot of plastics witch wont break onder 0 celcius.
    Really? What kind? Are they used on r/c where they get hit all the time or are you talking about a cell phone or something. If there were such a plastic that could take a beating under 0 C, wouldn't all the r/c companies be using them already?

RC Champion
    it more depends on the force of impact. just because it's really cold doesn't mean the parts magically break. i have run in weather where my duratrax temp gun says "lo" and i don't break an extensive amount of parts over normal temps

RC Qualifier

AS you can see on my chassis where the corner was cracked by the screw, that the plastic isn't very thick and with the cold weather its not gonna take a head on crash. Also if you see the bulk head arm that broke off under 4x4, where the arms attach to the chassis they used a very short screw going though a thin part if the chassis. I think I am going to use a longer bolt n nut to attach the arms.
    Last edited by Maxson11; 01-08-2010 at 12:21 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dude
    it more depends on the force of impact. just because it's really cold doesn't mean the parts magically break. i have run in weather where my duratrax temp gun says "lo" and i don't break an extensive amount of parts over normal temps
    Ya the car wouldn't have broke without the impact, I ran it all day in the snow with no issues but like said above we won't know till the spring how durrable it is. Maby RPM will design a bumper that can absorb more impact.
    My 4x4 is back together and screaming around the yard woot woot!