Parts are going to be here today.
Here's what I got:
Aluminum Big Bore Shocks
Part #6830 - Front Bulkhead
Part #6881 - Front Differential Housing
I made a long post about this last week after this happened: Read here.
So this is my first RC Repair job and first RC car. So I am looking for tips. ( I would eventually like to assemble an FAQ for all new RC owners based on all this information I am learning in these forums. )
- This is my first RC car. I am not mechanically experienced, but am a geek and am enjoying the hobby of repairing and tuning just as much as running the vehicle.
- For now I am just learning, so a lot of bashing on dirt and asphalt.
- I would like to be "racing" by this spring.
- I read a lot and like to soak up information, so any links, videos, FAQ's or any helpful information is highly desirable.
Issue #1: Front Differential Housing
1) From what I understand I am supposed to fill this with grease? If so how much and what weight?
2) There is a part (sorry don't have the exploded view with me), that had a big gear and is surrounded by small arms on bearings. This part seems to have some "rings" with a blue rubber material in the middle on each side of the gear. Does anything special need to happen with these, grease or anything of that nature?
3) What should or shouldn't receive grease in this process. It all seems pretty straight forward, just reassemble and fill the differential house with grease, make sure I get good seals and lock it down tight?
Issue #2: I need to loctite all screws that are metal to metal, right?
1) What loctite do you use, brand, type, weight?
2) Is it possible to use too much loctite, how much should be used?
Issue #3: New big bore shocks
1) Shock oil: What weight should I use? Sounds like 50 front and 60 rear I will have to pick up some from the LHS, what brand is recommended. I know they have Traxxas Brand and Losi, not sure what else they have.
Issue #4: General Maintenance
1) How do I adjust the slipper clutch? From the top or bottom?
2) Is there anything else I should adjust, fix or be cognizant of while performing these repairs?
Thank you for taking the time to read this thread all input and guidance is welcome.