Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    59

    Post My Lipo/LVA setup

    First off, I want to thank all of you that have posted tons of helpful info in the past. It has helped me tremendously over the past couple months. I just recently got back into the electric rc scene and you all have helped me decide that the Summit was the best choice for me. I am sure that as I run/break it, that I will continue to call on you for more great advice and info.

    I just wanted to share with everyone my setup for my summit with lipo batteries. I decided that after reading the constant debate on which LVC to use (2s vs. 4s), that I would go the cheaper route and opt for the LVAs. This way each battery is monitored and it is easier to setup. Here are a few pictures of what I have done.

    I just used zip ties to attach the LVAs to the battery compartment vents. They probably could have fit inside the battery tray, but because I have added some foam rubber to protect the batteries from shock damage since they are soft case lipos, I opted to mount them outside. This also secures them so they are not being tossed around inside the battery tray.


    One concern I had is that the LVA is contantly drawing power when they are plugged in. I didn't want to have to open the battery tray everytime to unplug them during idle times. By mounting them this way I can unplug them without opening the battery cover.


    I like the way it looks better than a LVC. It is a lot cleaner look. I have a LVC on another truck and it is alot of wires all over.


    I used a balance lead extention to run inside the battery compartment so I dont have thread the wires through the vent every time I change the batteries.


    I hope this is helpful to anyone that is thinking of using lipo batteries for their Summit. Just trying to give back to the site that has helped me out in so many ways. Please feel free to comment, and add your thoughts and suggestions.

    Disclaimer:
    This setup is not waterproof. Which neither are my batteries.
    This is my first attempt at posting pictures, hope this works.

    Caveman
    Hole in Rock, USA

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South-Eastern, Pennsylvanian
    Posts
    470
    Very cool, if I ever go lipo, this is how I will do it. Problem is, I love running in the water/mud/snow way too much!!
    [QUOTE=Corrijo]Welcome to the crazed family of summit owners.[/QUOTE]

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitCrazed!
    Very cool, if I ever go lipo, this is how I will do it. Problem is, I love running in the water/mud/snow way too much!!
    Thanks,
    One of the benifits of this setup is that it is completely reversible. Just cut the zip ties, remove the LVAs and you are right back to waterproof with other batteries. Most of the time LVCs are soldered to the esc, not easy to remove when the puddles call. Plus, I have less than $15.00 in this setup.

    Caveman
    Hole in Rock, USA

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    305
    my smartstop is mounted in the waterproof receiver box and i have the wires soldered onto a male/female pigtail traxxas wire/connector if i run my maxamp waterproof lipo's i am set and i do not have to unhook anything. It may be cheaper but it is not waterproof. Still a good alternative but not for waterproof detection if you have to remove every time.
    Last edited by egoneski; 01-03-2010 at 10:17 PM.

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20
    hi were did you get the lvas and how much thanks ken

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by egoneski
    my smartstop is mounted in the waterproof receiver box and i have the wires soldered onto a male/female pigtail traxxas wire/connector if i run my maxamp waterproof lipo's i am set and i do not have to unhook anything. It may be cheaper but it is not waterproof. Still a good alternative but not for waterproof detection if you have to remove every time.
    I saw a post on installing the smart stop in the reciever box. Was that your post?

    Almost decided to go that way but couldn't decide which LVC was better (2s or 4s). According to Novak tech support, they recommended the 4s. But from what I understand is that the 4s monitors the average of the two batteries. One could be fully charged and the other could be dangerously low and the average would still be in the middle. In that case the LVC wouldn't protect the low voltage battery from being overly discharged.

    However, I would choose the 4s LVC in the reciever box method, if I get brave enough to try and waterproof my lipo packs. My truck and batteries are only a month old and I am not ready to get everything wet/dirty yet. So far I am having fun with it just rock crawling and a little bashing on the motocross track next door.

    Caveman
    Hole in Rock, USA

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by kga943
    hi were did you get the lvas and how much thanks ken
    I got them off ebay, about $4.00 each shipped from Hong Kong. It took about 2 1/2 weeks to get them. There are tons of them on there. I decided on these because they have a warning light that comes on to let you know the batteries are getting close, before the alarm goes off. Plus has double buzzers, no way you will miss the alarm, no matter how far away the truck is. Very loud, like 90 dcbls.

    Caveman
    Hole in Rock, USA

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. noir 522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,127
    I have lva also but if you are determined to run lipos I would suggest lvc, just the other day I had to "save" my 3s lipo because either the alarm did not go off / the car was too far away / or the motor noise drowned out the buzzer (dewalt). I also have $4 lvc from hong kong *********. But since I exsclusively run lipo I am now considering a lvc. $4 lva vs $45 lipo reallly got me thinking.

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,040
    I run the 2S smart stop also and it is in my receiver box as well. I would post pics but my trucks put up and I don't feel like getting it out. But here is why you go with only the one 2s cutoff....The outer battery wires from the esc are what power the BEC. So only that battery is powering your lights, servos, radio, etc... So the other battery is only powering your motor basically, it doesn't really give power to the receiver. This being the case if your batteries are "matched" or almost identical in mah's then the one on the BEC side will always drain faster no matter what meaning that you only need a LVC on this battery since the other battery will never drain as much. From my experience the past few weeks the battery on the BEC side comes off at exactly 6.3volts or 3.15volts a cell and the other battery is usually right around 3.4-.6 a cell or about 6.8volts**.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by RByers8252
    I run the 2S smart stop also and it is in my receiver box as well. I would post pics but my trucks put up and I don't feel like getting it out. But here is why you go with only the one 2s cutoff....The outer battery wires from the esc are what power the BEC. So only that battery is powering your lights, servos, radio, etc... So the other battery is only powering your motor basically, it doesn't really give power to the receiver. This being the case if your batteries are "matched" or almost identical in mah's then the one on the BEC side will always drain faster no matter what meaning that you only need a LVC on this battery since the other battery will never drain as much. From my experience the past few weeks the battery on the BEC side comes off at exactly 6.3volts or 3.15volts a cell and the other battery is usually right around 3.4-.6 a cell or about 6.8volts**.
    Thanks for the info. The concerns that I have with the 2s LVC setup is, I read somewhere that someone was running that setup and for some reason the none BEC side battery was over discharged due to snow or water something. With out anything monitoring it, there was no way to know there was an issue until it was to late. I understand that such issues are rare, but I felt that something to monitor both batteries was a little more safe. That being said though, I did run it without any type of LVC or LVA for about 3 weeks. Mostly crawling, I just stoped and checked the voltage every 10-15 minutes. Never got below 3.7 volts per cell before I had to put it away.
    Anyway the debate continues on which is better. 2s vs. 4s vs. LVA. Hopefully someday I will have a ESC that takes care of that for me.

    Caveman
    Hole in Rock, USA

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. noir 522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,127
    I was going to mention that as well only one lvc is really needed. But RByers8252 isnt 3.15volts kinda low?

  12. #12
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,502
    When the alarm sounds, I'm assuming you're supposed to stop immediately.
    But do you have to? What I mean is, does the alarm go off at the last second before the batteries die, or is there some leeway?
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

  13. #13
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,040
    No. A lipo cell can safely be discharged to 2.9volts a cell but 3 volts is my threshold. As long as you get it charged within a few hours I have never had one problem. Now, the debate for 2s or 4s smartstop. I don't think there is one because of this....if you ran 1 4s smartstop it would be monitoring both batteries as one. Here's the issue, because the one battery is losing more power it would very easily go under 2.9volts a cell before the other battery was low enough to trigger the stop. The 4s also cuts off at 3.15 volts a cell but it the cutoffs don't know the voltage of each cell, only the battery as a whole. So the 2s cuts off at 6.3 volts, the 4s would cut off at 12.6. The only way to actually run lipos and monitor each is either 2 alarms, one on each, or a 2s smart stop and a 2s alarm on the other battery. This would simply be to give you a safe feeling. And 2 2s smart stops couldn't be used at once since I wouldn't see it being able to function correctly by have the esc go through two different circuits before reaching the recieved so I think something wouldn't work there.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,040
    An alarm would go off at a preset voltage, usually right around 3 volts a cell or 6 volts as a whole. Being this low, yes you want to stop running immediately to not cause damage which is why I prefer a cutoff since once the batteries ha enough you can't screw it up by still driving. It stops for you.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    59
    The alarms I have are set to go off at 3.3 volts per cell, this should give you plenty of time to retrieve the truck and change batteries. If you decide to run it after the alarm goes off, then you are asking for trouble IMO.

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    852
    I too have the Novak Smart Stop 2S.

    here is a true story from a guy at the LHS running a 4S in a brushed E-Revo.

    He was running the 4S and nuked one of his MAXAMP lipos because the BEC one went lower than it should have...

    I have my 2S SS mounted in the Rx box, waterproofed. I then have a little harness that comes out of the box, and has a female balance tap plug zip tied right at the antenna mount. I plug right into the lipo, it is real clean. Looks all factory unless you know what you are looking for.

    I agree with the previous poster. Connect into the BEC battery and you will be good. I alternate which battery gets connected too. So real science to that but I figured that they get their turns going a little lower!
    Three Summits

  17. #17
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by milkman
    I too have the Novak Smart Stop 2S.

    here is a true story from a guy at the LHS running a 4S in a brushed E-Revo.

    He was running the 4S and nuked one of his MAXAMP lipos because the BEC one went lower than it should have...

    I have my 2S SS mounted in the Rx box, waterproofed. I then have a little harness that comes out of the box, and has a female balance tap plug zip tied right at the antenna mount. I plug right into the lipo, it is real clean. Looks all factory unless you know what you are looking for.

    I agree with the previous poster. Connect into the BEC battery and you will be good. I alternate which battery gets connected too. So real science to that but I figured that they get their turns going a little lower!
    Thanks for the input. Everything that I have read in the past leans towards the 2s being the way to go. However when I personally sent Novak tech support a e-mail, they told me the 4s was the way to go. After that I wasn't sure which way was even up. So that is why I decided to go with the LVAs. I already have a 2s smart stop installed in a vintage rustler with an adapter, so if I decide that the LVAs are not reliable or if I want to go play in the water, I can rob that one fairly easy and use it in my summit. I actaully bought it before I had the summit thinking that I could use it for either truck. Then Novak recomended the 4s, so I thought I shouldn't use it for the summit. I didn't want to have to spend another $30.00 for the 4s so I got the LVAs. Time will tell which one I prefer.
    Can you set the cutoff voltage on the 2s smart stops or are they preset? I only used it once in the rustler and never had a chance for it to do its thing. It seems that a 15 year old rustler tranny wasn't up for the challenge of lipo power.

    Caveman
    Hole in Rock, USA

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    268
    Reading this thread convinced me that I should get a Novak Smart Stop but ended up just getting 2 of the cheapie ones for now until I can fine tune my setup.
    Last edited by Jersey Crewmax; 03-14-2012 at 01:04 PM.

  19. #19
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    30
    Just to let you know, it took 5 days for a LVA to run down a 2s 5000 mah lipo from fully charged down to 3.8v per cell. I had to do that when I had fully charged my batteries, but then my ESC died and I had no other way to run them down (that I knew of at the time). I have the venom LVAs.

    So I wouldn't worry too much about LVAs running down your batteries.

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    852
    I recently upgraded to a new EVX2 with LVD in my truck. My Novak was giving me trouble.
    Three Summits

  21. #21
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    16,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Crewmax View Post
    Reading this thread convinced me that I should get a Novak Smart Stop but ended up just getting 2 of the cheapie ones for now until I can fine tune my setup.
    You'd be one of the few. There's a bit of misinformation above (safe minimum voltage for LiPo cells), or at least missing information (what the soft cutoff, or throttle-blipping voltage is set at). Given the history of Novak products and some Traxxas ESCs not playing nice as well as recent issues reported by respected members, I'd steer well clear of the Novak Smart-Stop. In contrast the LVAs have proven to be very reliable and trouble-free so long as they are kept reasonably dry.

    Quote Originally Posted by CornUponCob View Post
    Just to let you know, it took 5 days for a LVA to run down a 2s 5000 mah lipo from fully charged down to 3.8v per cell. I had to do that when I had fully charged my batteries, but then my ESC died and I had no other way to run them down (that I knew of at the time). I have the venom LVAs.

    So I wouldn't worry too much about LVAs running down your batteries.
    It's great that you tested that!
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  22. #22
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,145
    This is a 2 year old thread. Ha... its been established many times since then that the LVA is the best way to go and you only need ONE on the BEC side... they are not waterproof but can be fairly well sealed in a balloon and still work just fine.

    The Novak Smart Stop has had intermittent issues with the EVX2 ESC. Some people get them working fine, they have caused other peoples ESCs to go up in smoke immediately... even when absolutely correctly installed.

    Heres a pic of my simple LVA install... I don't submerge my truck ever. I bought 2 LVAs for $10 shipped just in case one ever gets wet enough to hurt it.

    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chehalis, Wa
    Posts
    436
    Hey. I was womderjng if it just would be smarter and easier to buy the new EVX2 with the lvd built in.
    Thinking about it it its cleaner will basically still will be all stock. And fully h20 proof.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. This will help me in my decision.

  24. #24
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3
    i bought 2 of these cheap alarms too and ran my summit with 2 x 2S lipo for the first time last week-end and the alarms started beeping almost every time i accelerated hard... with the truck stopped they were showing over 4v per cell.

    when the LVA beeps, it shows the voltage for a moment and i managed to take a look and it was showing 3.16v (LVA set at 3.2v)
    i changed it to 3.1v and it stopped beeping meaning the voltage wasn't droping bellow 3.1v but i did make it beep again while trying to do a wheelie.

    my lipos are 5000mah 40C from the Z brand...
    i used to run them on my brushless revo and the never cut-off kicked in under hard acceleration. only when the packs were almost empty...

    is the evx-2 capable of drawing more amps than the mamba monster?

  25. #25
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth, Milky Way.
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by AFerreira View Post
    i bought 2 of these cheap alarms too and ran my summit with 2 x 2S lipo for the first time last week-end and the alarms started beeping almost every time i accelerated hard... with the truck stopped they were showing over 4v per cell.

    when the LVA beeps, it shows the voltage for a moment and i managed to take a look and it was showing 3.16v (LVA set at 3.2v)
    i changed it to 3.1v and it stopped beeping meaning the voltage wasn't droping bellow 3.1v but i did make it beep again while trying to do a wheelie.

    my lipos are 5000mah 40C from the Z brand...
    i used to run them on my brushless revo and the never cut-off kicked in under hard acceleration. only when the packs were almost empty...

    is the evx-2 capable of drawing more amps than the mamba monster?
    I also got two LVAs. (I thought I lost one of them, so I bought another one, only to find out I had placed it in the battery compartment!) Anyway, the new one I bought also beeps under acceleration. The old one doesn't. It's very strange.
    This is a signature.

  26. #26
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    16,000
    Quote Originally Posted by AFerreira View Post
    i bought 2 of these cheap alarms too and ran my summit with 2 x 2S lipo for the first time last week-end and the alarms started beeping almost every time i accelerated hard... with the truck stopped they were showing over 4v per cell.

    when the LVA beeps, it shows the voltage for a moment and i managed to take a look and it was showing 3.16v (LVA set at 3.2v)
    i changed it to 3.1v and it stopped beeping meaning the voltage wasn't droping bellow 3.1v but i did make it beep again while trying to do a wheelie.

    my lipos are 5000mah 40C from the Z brand...
    i used to run them on my brushless revo and the never cut-off kicked in under hard acceleration. only when the packs were almost empty...

    is the evx-2 capable of drawing more amps than the mamba monster?
    I set my low voltage alarms (I have started running two also, just because I have them) at 3.5V per cell and at rest they are somewhere close 3.7V per cell.
    If your packs are dropping voltage all the way down under 3.2V per cell from 4.0V per cell, then you are experiencing an inordinate amount of amp draw due to some unknown problem or your packs are substandard/unreliably rated. Or both.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,145
    My LVA's only beep on acceleration at the very start of the run. Maybe 2 or 3 pulls of the throttle. Im not really sure what thats about but it goes away almost immediately and they don't beep again until 3.4 volts per cell. I have an EVX2 with LVD and find it to be LESS accurate than the LVA's. I have my LVA's set to 3.5 like KSB and after a run the cells return to a resting voltage of almost exactly 3.7 each. Which is perfect. Ive actually started running an LVA on my LVD equipped truck as well, just because I don't trust the LVD.

    There are numerous different styles of Low Voltage alarm out there. I bought the sames ones KSB has and even in my boat (HUGE amp draw for LONG periods) they don't cut in until the packs hit a proper 3.5 VPC. If your LVA's are cutting in too early it could be that they are lower quality/accuracy or maybe just broken or something.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

  28. #28
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ILLINOIS
    Posts
    50
    I have a brushed e revo and have also purchased the cheap ebay LVAs from china.

    I am planning on buying the spc batts (2s 5000 mah) as soon as they get in stock.

    So my main concern is that I really want to use my truck in the water/mud/snow etc with my new lipos.

    I plan to latex wrap my lipos but then what about the LVA???

    I was thinking just condom wrap the lva and the battery together before each run??


    any better ideas, please help.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-06-2012 at 08:08 PM.
    Traxxas ERevo 5603 - 14.4 Dewalt -

  29. #29
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. jamann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria B.C Canada
    Posts
    5,229
    I used a balloon and a zip tie


    Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

  30. #30
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ILLINOIS
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    I used a balloon and a zip tie
    Is there any chance you could send a pic of your setup?

    I'd really like to see the location of the lva in the balloon on the truck....


    So then i would need a balance plug extension right? and zip tie the balloon at the base of the extension?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •