RC poster

Stampede upgrades

Hello,

I recently bought a stampede xl-5 (Brushless ready version ..#3605) and have been having a lot of fun while I am here in florida before I head back home to windy, snowy chicago.

Anyhow, I immediately bought a rpm front bumper and got some 2s 5000mah lipos including a cheap charger from ********* (accucel 6) I have a cellpro 10s back home which I use for heli batteries so for now it will work. I also have the wheelie bar installed.

I broke the steering block so I got some aluminum ones from traxxas as well as caster blocks and replaced the king pins since they were bent.

Here are some ideas for more upgrades and I am looking for some feedback. Please note that I have done some research on the forum here.

1) BIG BORE SHOCK SET WITH PROGRESSIVE SPRINGS ..part # 5682 ...one of the shocks is busted so I need to upgrade...another reason is..i have been flipping my pede a lot and based on the research people have suggested a stiffer spring set...

2) VELINEON BRUSHLESS POWER SYSTEM ...part # 3350 ...I want to get this before I head back to chicago ..I noticed that since I am running Lipos my motor gets hot fairly quickly..however when I am running the stock included nimh battery, it doesn't get that hot..regardless something I want to do..

3) I noticed that some people here have suggested that the difference between xl-5 and vxl is more than the brushless system. Is it true? and if so, what else do I need to upgrade?

4) I am also planning on getting the suspension tie bar, traxxas turnbuckles.

5) What other upgrades should i add?

6) Other than the shocks what else can be done to avoid the stampede to flip so much?

Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I started like you did with an XL5. I can tell you right now... get the VXL before anything else. It makes the biggest difference. I was running stock Nimh batteries at first and I noticed a huge increase in performance, then i switched to Lipo and notice ANOTHER huge increase from there. Best upgrade I ever made. You dont need anything other than the motor and ESC to run the VXL system. But, to stop the truck from flipping over id suggest a wheelie bar. The stock traxxas one is cheap and plastic so it wont bend. Thats what I use and it works good. Its also adjustable so you can decide how much wheelie you want.
    I dont think stiffer springs are going to stop you from flipping. One thing that will help is if you take out some of the spring spacers from the shocks, let the suspension sag down a bit, then move the bottom shock further toward the tires (outward). This will lower the ride height of your truck, which in turn lowers the center of gravity and helps it stay on its wheels. The big bore shocks sure are a nice upgrade and make the suspension operate much more smoothly. But wont stop you from rolling over.
    I have my stampede set up as described above and I can slide it sideways on pavement without it flipping over. But it hasent sacrificed its bashing ability at all.
    Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    Dont get the progressive springs, they will make your car sag like crazy
    SLASH IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC poster
    on thing you can do from flipping over is add different arms and other setups for other cars too make your car wider but it is difficult to do it right i haven't tryed myself but i plan to because the way the stampede is set up it will roll over pretty easy if you take a sharp turn and let of the motor.

I dont understand why everyone has so much trouble with the stampede rolling. Like I said above, I can slide my stampede sideways power on, or off, and it rarely, if ever, rolls. I have it set up pretty low and I run the suspension with about %30 sag... which is something I learned from motocross and snowcross racing. I run stock shock oil and the stock white springs. My truck is stock width with stock tires and wheels too... I think when you jack the suspension up by stiffening the springs so the shock is topped out all the time makes the center of gravity too high and causes the roll overs. Instead of trying all kinds of option and custom parts, just try running some suspension sag and lower the ride height by moving the bottom of the shocks further toward the wheels one hole.
    Then again, maybe my pavement is different than everyone elses...

RC poster
    Well as noted, the springs has to either be stiffer than the stock ones or different oil in the suspensions. pavementsurfer, you suggested a wheelie bar which I already have and honestly it doesn't help prevent any flips side ways when drifting etc. Honestly I dont want to widen the body so I didn't look into that option. I am going to get the big bore suspensions and I will be changing the oil in the stock ones and see how that works out.

In the meantime, I am really trying to get the correct answer for: Difference between Stampede XL-5 vs Stampede VXL.

Thanks

RC Champion
    you will need to get 5x11x4 wheel bearings- you have bushings i xl5 and them wont last with vxl
    is there an 'AA' for RC addicts?

Sorry, I didnt see you already had the wheelie bar and I took "flipping" sortof as a general upside down problem, not just sideways. But yes, the wheelie bar wont do much if your rolling sideways hehe.
    Not sure what different oil will do to help with your issue though. But try it anyway, most people here run 50wt. I run whatever came stock with my big bores. Dont know what wt it is but it seems to work well.
    In terms of differences between XL5 and VXL, again, my bad. I thought you meant what did you need to CHANGE to run the VXL. But if your wondering what is different between the stock VXL and the stock XL5 trucks, the answer is motor and ESC, Bearings front and rear and adjustable camberlinks front and rear. Otherwise they are the same. The gearing may be different also... but I dont know that for sure. Stock gearing on an XL5 is 19/90. A VXL may be 18/86 but im not sure about that.
    Hope this helps

RC Enthusiast
    i went from xl5 to vxl with my pede. here is my list of upgrades i chose..
    rpm arms front and rear
    rpm castor blocks
    rpm bearing carriers
    rpm steering blocks
    rpm gear cover for a better seal from debris
    steel camber links to replace the stock xl5 plastic ones
    bearing on all 4 corners to replace the bushings
    REM 1/8 scale chassis along with front shock tower
    traxxas maxx progressive springs for the rear

i also haven't had any rollover issues with my pede. sliding sideways is very stable. however, i believe the pede is way too short and light up front for a bushless system hence the 2" stretched chassis. i am now more planted on the ground from first peg of the throttle. with the stock pede you won't hit full throttle until you are about 75% full throttle. the pede will just stand up and flip over.

RC Competitor
    I got the XL5 from the wife on xmas and I'm already looking at the power up option for the brushless motor and other VXL upgrades, so this thread had some very useful info.

As far as the rolling over, right now with the xl5 in a bone stock configuration I'm really not having an issue with that.

Any one run the VXL on nihm batteries? I'm not interested into getting into lipo's at this point but I don't want to bother upgrading if I'm not going to see a noticeable difference with out lipo's.

I upgraded from XL5 to VXL on the stock Nimh batteries and noticed a HUGE improvement in both torque and speed. Kept the gearing the same too.
    Do it. Thats all... you wont regret it.

RC Competitor
    Well just broke my left caster block this evening, now wondering if I should upgrade to the Traxxas red aluminum or the RPM blocks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JayB
    Well just broke my left caster block this evening, now wondering if I should upgrade to the Traxxas red aluminum or the RPM blocks.
    the traxxas blocks are way better than the rpm for the simple fact that they are alum. and wont let the pin bend as easy if at all!!!!

RC Qualifier
    As I just said in another thread get the e-clip type kingpins and you'll never bend a Traxxas aluminum front steering set up.
    Faster Than Gum Looses Flavor

RC Qualifier
    Spoofy, Some simple toe and camber adjustments will stop those rolls when drifting sideways.
    Get the vxl, Its the best thing you will ever do to your pede.
    Another difference between the xl-5 and the vxl is the vxl has metal gears in the tranny to handle the vxl's power. You might wanna consider upgrading those as well.
    Traxxas start making dirt bikes! :)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nitro
    Another difference between the xl-5 and the vxl is the vxl has metal gears in the tranny to handle the vxl's power. You might wanna consider upgrading those as well.
    the new xl5 comes VXL ready with all metal gears. So far the only differences I see are bearings, metal tie rods, the front fiber glass brace on the bulk head, a few places swap out for some stronger hex screws and replace the screw in pins with e clip pins. And the motor and esc.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JayB
    The aluminum blocks won't break near as easily but the reason why is that all it does is just move the impact force back. so say you replace the plastic caster blocks with aluminum blocks you ram into a wall the caster blocks won't break but something else will break in the area. so i would suggest if your going to get aluminum blocks replace as much as you can with the aluminum then the force will just dissipate.
    Stampede is da bomb