RC Enthusiast

I broke my chassis!

I had just finished putting this thing back together after dying the chassis black. I go out to play in the snow and end up slamming into a high curb straight on. So disappointed right now.

Some pics

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...s/IMG_3041.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...IMG_3040-1.jpg
    E-Revo 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    I feel your pain of not getting to drive without something always tearing up.
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Mini Revo VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Micro-T

RC Racer
    Your experience just highlights the need to have a combination (1pc) aluminum center and front skid. This would add the needed strength to keep the front section from snapping.

I've been blattin' about this for some time now. I suggested such a part to both Integy and RPM. Hopefully they'll appreciate the need.

BTW: Are your toe-links adjustable?
    Last edited by RC-Now; 12-28-2009 at 01:05 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Now
    Your experience just highlights the need to have a combination (1pc) aluminum center and front skid. This would add the needed strength to keep the front section from snapping.

I've been blattin' about this for some time now. I suggested such a part to both Integy and RPM. Hopefully they'll appreciate the need.

BTW: Are your toe-links adjustable?

Yeah that would be nice! No they're not adjustable. Actually, I bet i can get my dad to fabricate one for me. I'll have to ask him!

On closer inspection I bent one of them! I hit that curb hard lol. This car is getting close to $1000
    E-Revo 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    very good looking truck, just like mine

RC Racer
    Yeah, the same happened to me yesterday

Broke one of the arms connected to the servo arm, f bulkhead, 2 shock bodies (lost a spring) and not to mention the chassis where the two shock mount screws go in. It just snapped.

i have totally re-built the front end using spares i had laying around and am just awaiting a new chassis to arrive. So yeah, as another user said, i feel your pain man!

RC Champion
    Looks like it's the aluminums fault... You should get the rpm arms and then they might have soaked up a lot of the hit and might not have broken anything wheras the aluminum just transfered the hit into the weakest point and broke the chassis.. I think that you should go to rpm now.. More flexible to soak up hit, probably cheaper, very durable either way, and lifetime warranty if they do snap...
    Just my opinion tho..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by revo_maniack
    Looks like it's the aluminums fault... You should get the rpm arms and then they might have soaked up a lot of the hit and might not have broken anything wheras the aluminum just transfered the hit into the weakest point and broke the chassis.. I think that you should go to rpm now.. More flexible to soak up hit, probably cheaper, very durable either way, and lifetime warranty if they do snap...
    Just my opinion tho..
    One up on this advice. It is completely right. I thought the same thing.
    'Brushless...RCs Magnacharger'

RC Qualifier
    I have the same opinion , Aliminium is good for certain parts but not all because it add weight AND do not absorb the impacts like plastic does. Instead it just transfer all the energy to the nearest and weakest point.
    Merv on LiPo 2s and 3s !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Just my opinion tho..

Yeah you're right but it just looks really cool lol.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...s/IMG_3042.jpg
    E-Revo 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Yeah , It sure looks really nice but its not practical to have those because you will constantly be buying replacements parts.
    Merv on LiPo 2s and 3s !!!

RC Racer
    Looks like it's the aluminums fault...
    I don't agree. Don't get me wrong, your thoughts are 100% correct in theory. However, using the stock plastic parts or the RPM parts would not have prevented this. I had a similar hit with all of the stock parts (except traxxas toe links) ...

Really hard front-end hits will break the chassis - especially on a slight angle. All of that said, I would never use as much aluminum as shown in the pictures above. Plastic flexes and absolutely will prevent some breakage. Plus, plastic springs back to it's normal position when it does not break. A-arms, in my opinion, should remain as plastic (or RPM). In many cases you will bend your aluminum and never know it. Only only only use aluminum where it makes sense.

t

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrmarines
    No they're not adjustable.
    Incorrect. Those blue toe links are definitely adjustable. That's why there is a tiny hole in the center of the link. If I am not mistaken, they are the GPM links:

http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...201/16%20REVO#

Yes, they are fully adjustable.

t

RC Racer
    Thanks WolfPlayer.

I'm gonna keep an eye on getting some of those in the future then. This should simplify setup by allowing you to adjust the toe without affecting camber.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfPlayer
    Incorrect. Those blue toe links are definitely adjustable. That's why there is a tiny hole in the center of the link. If I am not mistaken, they are the GPM links:

http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...201/16%20REVO#

Yes, they are fully adjustable.

t

Good to know lol

That pic u posted is actually exactly what happened to me after i took it apart.

Kinda a newb to RC but im def going to take out a lot of the alum parts. I would actually like to drive it instead of looking at it waiting for parts lol.
    E-Revo 1/16 VXL