Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

jato HOW FAST???

i know i probably should'nt post this yet but... my friend and i have had a little on going rivalry for who has the fastest traxxas car. His car is vxl rustler( which is extremly powerfull!!!). i have a jato 3.3( or which used to be a 3.3). We live at a uncorrected altitude of 3-3100 ft above sea level, with a typical corrected factor of anywhere between 4200 and on some bad days almost 7000ft above sea leval (density altitude). Although this does not affect a brushless car, it really effects any type of internal combustion engine such as the jato. Anyhow, on with the story. The fastest i have truthfully been with any 3.3 is 66mph,, backed up numerous times. The fastest the vxl has been is 70 and 71mph numerous times. These speeds are calculated from a bushnell radar gun backed up with a garmin 101(mounted to the car simutaneously while radaring).These speeds are not something dreamed up by what someone thought they saw! Well, today i showed up with my jato with a little something extra. The something exrtra was a Picco P9R evo 2 .21 conversion! Now for starters i went out with a 19 cb and a 40t spur gears, which puts me at a 2.105 ratio before the trans calculation. First rattle out the box with a fairly decent tune i clocked 74mph. A little more tunning,,,, i clocked 76mph,, which i backed up once. I decided to change the pipe to one i had modded myself(ofna .28 pipe). Had to add a considerable amount of fuel on the high speed and ...... bam..... 80mph even!!! Started getting dark, not mention the fact that i accidentally hit my nephew just right after that pass(which i feel horrible about, but we think he is gonna be ok) so we loaded up and went home. I guess this post is for all of you nitro boys out there discouraged with what the brushless cars are capable of. WE GOT ONE ON THEM TODAY!!!!! This is my box stock version of this motor. I have another that is a brand new Ab Drag modded Picco P9R EVO 3 .21 sitting in the box. I look forward to trying it with a couple differnt gear ratios. Hoping i can swing 90mph some day. I will have a vid of these passes by next weekend. KEEP SNIFFIN NITRO !!!!!

RC Champion
    Not to rain on your parade, but if you can upgrage the engine in your rig, the other guy can get a more powerful brushless system. A VXL is far from the most powerful thing out there. He could run a Castle 2650 motor (or similar) with a MMM ESC on 4s and gear a lot higher. The problem will probably be a matter if the tranny holds up and if the front end will stay down.

RC Qualifier
    i realize their alot of factor to consider in this game. I cant tell u how many transmissions, etc, etc, etc, i have been through. Although i know any good brushless car can outrun a nitro fed car, i find it a fun challange to discover what a stock chassis jato is capable of!!! Yes a jet fighter can outrun a kia, but dam its fun tryin to hang with a brushless car with a jato(which btw, is old school tech for whats available today!). There still is something about nitro/tire smokin, swingin and swayin, wheelie poppin jato's!!!! Btw, i have the wheelie problem under control. These speeds were clocked with the front tires bout 1/8" off the ground. I will post later how to make a killer adjustable wheelie bar out of a stock jato bar and t-maxx bar married together... Its killer!!!

RC Champion
    Yopu wouldn't happen to have a video of any of these radar passes would you?

How about a picture of the P9R build? Thanks
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by revonitro
    Yopu wouldn't happen to have a video of any of these radar passes would you?

How about a picture of the P9R build? Thanks

yes i do have video of these passes. Its gonna be little bit before i can get them loaded and posted, back to work this week and very busy. I can shoot some pics of the car and engine swap and get them posted soon.

RC Champion
    Those are some pretty sweet speeds you are getting. Nicelly done especially if you can upload a video. But on the P9R drag modded, isn't that ported to be wat it says, a drag motor, not a speed motor? So wouldn't it be suited beter for a drag car?...
    R/C is expensive...

RC Qualifier
    haha very sweet !! i love my jato ! but i love my rustler too...lol cant wait to see some of these videos !!

Long Live the Nitros !!!!!
    Rustler VXL SPC Power
    4-tec 5700K MM SPC Power

RC Champion
    How does a Jato (or generically any nitro) do on grass for speed versus electric. I run my BL stampede on 3s on short grass at school yards a lot and with alum tranny, it soaks up the heat and is pretty fast. Are both just proportionally slower on grass as on pavement, or does one stand out ? Just curious.
    ------
    hmmm, I've never seen it spelled that way.

RC Champion
    Any system will be stressed more on grass. There is simply more rolling resistance and it takes more power (whether via fuel or electrons) to move a given vehicle.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG
    Any system will be stressed more on grass. There is simply more rolling resistance and it takes more power (whether via fuel or electrons) to move a given vehicle.
    Yes, I agree, I'm just curious if electric or nitro handles the extra drag of grass better.

Seems to me, the instantaneous torque of electric would handle grass at a variety of speeds better than nitro. Doesn't nitro (engines) have to be in a certain range of rpms to max out torque ?
    Last edited by vashon10; 12-28-2009 at 08:38 PM.
    ------
    hmmm, I've never seen it spelled that way.

RC Champion
    Depends on the electric setup. If a certain motor/ESC/battery combo is running on the edge of its comfort zone, additional drag may push it and get too hot. If it is a stronger setup, it can handle misgearing and less than ideal terrain more easily without overheating.

The power/torque curves are vastly different between the two, as well as how they deal with added strain.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    just hope he is using a cheep batery then you could win, it would probilly be close. it depends on what gearing and battery he is using
    No more money for rc trucks I got 1:1 truck

How is the race up to that speed? I had been hearing that the problem with jato speed testing is that the trans will just shred apart at about 75 or so mph. Plus the tires must be razorblades.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by streetdemon
    How is the race up to that speed? I had been hearing that the problem with jato speed testing is that the trans will just shred apart at about 75 or so mph. Plus the tires must be razorblades.
    Oh yea the stock plastic gears do shread quite often. I have a little technique I use to make them last for at least 5 -7 hits at these speeds. I also mod the stock high gear drum to keep from breaking the engagement pins off! Not sure yet how many of the hardened steel gears I will use that I bought from hot racing. Btw, I have many differnt sets of tire/wheel combos but this testing was done with new anacondas on all four corners. Yes they look like razor blades at 80!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by n3.3d_for_sp33d
    just hope he is using a cheep batery then you could win, it would probilly be close. it depends on what gearing and battery he is using
    Lipo 11.2 with taller gearing for sure. Not sure the tooth combo though. He can currently break 71 if he can keep it on the ground! Both of these cars r hard to drive past 75. Rustler is prone to flying past 70mph

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bswift
    yes i do have video of these passes. Its gonna be little bit before i can get them loaded and posted, back to work this week and very busy. I can shoot some pics of the car and engine swap and get them posted soon.
    Been a couple days now, and still no video of the passes or pictures of the build.

Most guys are eager to post pics of their rides, especially one that would hold the speed record, since the fastest two Jato's so far, Forbes and Over- Revo share the speed record at 71mph w/video proof.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Qualifier
    There coming.

RC Qualifier
    Been a couple days now, and still no video of the passes or pictures of the build.

Most guys are eager to post pics of their rides, especially one that would hold the speed record, since the fastest two Jato's so far, Forbes and Over- Revo share the speed record at 71mph w/video proof.
    forbes got 71, over got 76.
    sig edited for content

RC Enthusiast
    well i bet they got hours of footage and have to sift through it and make sure everything is right i have like 6 hours of video that im still sifting through of my jato running.. sure its not over 70 but i want to make it so i can show people highlights of it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by turborx7gen2
    forbes got 71, over got 76.
    They both got 71 mph on video with the modified 3.3. After matching the 3.3. record, Over stepped it up with the aftermarket modified P9R and got 74 mph on camera, and 76mph off camera, which I believe.

I have that same engine, and it has the power to break 80mph, but Over had that Jato screaming, and shredded a set of new bronze gears and put a hole in the tranny case hitting that 74 mph.

That's why i'm waiting to see this dudes 80mph pass. Not saying it ain't so, but Over set up that car perfectly and shredded just as many trannies as I did with my drag modified JLR .12.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Qualifier

Exclamation

They both got 71 mph on video with the modified 3.3. After matching the 3.3. record, Over stepped it up with the aftermarket modified P9R and got 74 mph on camera, and 76mph off camera, which I believe.

I have that same engine, and it has the power to break 80mph, but Over had that Jato screaming, and shredded a set of new bronze gears and put a hole in the tranny case hitting that 74 mph.

That's why i'm waiting to see this dudes 80mph pass. Not saying it ain't so, but Over set up that car perfectly and shredded just as many trannies as I did with my drag modified JLR .12.
    please be patient guys, i WILL get vid edited and uploaded as soon as i get back into town !
    Btw, as i have mentioned in another thread, i have been through all the differnt types of tranny gears. These passes were made with the stock (brand new set) traxxas plastic gears! I have found a way to do a few slight mods to the tranny to make them live a little better but i never thought they would stay together to make a 80mph pass! i was very shocked. Although it was still working just fine, i plan on tearing it down when i get home and checking for any crazy wear. This was with the two speed in it.

RC Champion
    Speaking of high speed running, I just got back in from running my e-jato (MM with UBEC, CC4600 motor) on 4s and it flies. Have no idea how fast it was, but the front kept wanting to lift and the tires were pizza cutters. Eventually, the tires flew apart, but was fun nonetheless. I had to set the punch control to 100% and add in exponential throttle curve to maintain control, and even then it was tough to keep it controllable. I can't imagine getting these vehicles to ~80mph with any kind of stability.

RC Enthusiast
    what you could do is add these deals called downforce increasers they are like 2 pieces of plastic running down on the wheel wells (in the front) that should keeep it down from what i have encountered in Real life racing.

Are you talking about a splitter?

And to the OP, if you want your claim to hold any water, don't edit anything from the time you show the GPS cleared until after you bring the car over and show it again.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    80mph is quite an achievement, but I've seen many claims like your own and when it comes time to show a video you never hear from them again. I’m anxious to see the video to give us Jato owners hope.
    Speed is the rate of change of distance with time.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jclay
    80mph is quite an achievement, but I've seen many claims like your own and when it comes time to show a video you never hear from them again. Iím anxious to see the video to give us Jato owners hope.

I am working on the video as i post this! I hope you guys wont be dissappointed with video since its not 80mph like i originally thought it was..........ITS FASTER THAN 80.0 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Well, i finally got the video uploaded after a whole week has passed. I know there are those of you out there that doubted my jato could run 80mph, but its true, it really can! In this video it still has my stock(ebay motor) p9r evo 2 in the car. I have no idea how much fuel has been ran through this motor whatsoever, although i have run approx. 1/3 of a gallon in it myself getting the chassis tuned for high speed runs. The power these motors make keeps the reality of a jato running 90mph someday within reach IMO! I hope to have my AB modded p9r evo 3 in the car soon. Rock n Roll NITRO JATO!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ8K4pe22YE

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Revonitro is right, i did 71mph like Forbes did with a 3.3 , then got 74mph on camera, i did a 76mph earlier not on camera, thats why i never claimed more than 74 mph... i finaly decided to end that quest with the jato after rebuilding the transmission several times...

Im surprised your truck did not flew in the air with the short distance you traveled in your video to get at WOT. Mine would just wheelie and take if i applied more than half throttle until about mid 60s lol and my wheelie bar was backward, may be 1/2 inch from the ground...

Make sure you reset the GPS in front of camera, and show the entire process and youll be alright to make the run legit

What gearing were you running?
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Qualifier
    that run was with a 21/40 gear, which btw, really calmed the wheelies down.

Not sure how many times i will have to run 80+ for people to understand thats its possible with the right setup, but i will for sure keep the camera on from the time i resest to time i pull the body! If the weather permits i will get it done today, which will be of mine and my brothers jato passing 80mph.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You will not need a lot of pass, one or 2 pass with the complete process will be enought, at least for me...

I was running 22t 36t on my Jato if i remember with the Jaco tires.
    ABmods

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Over_revO
    You will not need a lot of pass, one or 2 pass with the complete process will be enought, at least for me...

I was running 22t 36t on my Jato if i remember with the Jaco tires.
    i was considering making a pass with my jacos. were u running the white ones or the carbon ones? were u able to hook up ok with them? were u using traction compound of any sort?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I used the white one, without traction compound, traction was okay, it was a lot more stable than the anacondas though
    ABmods

RC poster
    All, I am the one shooting the video of bswift's 82.2 mph run. I completely understand everyone's doubt with this speed. In fact, I was one of the people doubting that we could ever attain 80 mph with a Jato, even with the healthy power of a P9R. But believe me, this is the real deal. As bswift mentioned, we both have Jato's with P9R power and we have been over 80 with both cars at least 4 times (3 with bswift's and once with mine). I only regret that I made the mistake of not thinking to video the gps being reset before the pass. That can be blamed on my inexperience in shooting video. We truly have no reason to fabricate a story about an 80 mph Jato. We are just avid hot rodders who love to go fast and thought we would share our achievement with the Jato community. We will get more video soon (weather permitting) with the gps reset to zero.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It doesnt matter who will take your place to type, dont worry i believe it is possible, but you have to show the proof, no matter the result will be, faster or slower...

Dont worry, if its a true 80, it will be legit with that vid.

ABmods

RC Champion
    wow lets think of all the things that has gone bad with this so far...
    first is his altitude...
    second is his 74 or whatever right outta the box... no shift point changes or nothing... the nitro gods must have been smiling on you that day...
    third it took 3 days to post a vid cause u were editing it.... (u said it not me) i know for a fact if u pull 80... u would throw it up right then in excitment and would not care about even having it look good... the run was bogus filmed... not even the complete thing... u need to over's video.. he will show what counts as legit...
    and fourth of all... the tranny won't hold up... not at that ratio... especially after a few passes...
    if im wrong... i will admit it.. but right now things don't look to favor your claim... the nitro gods are truly saddened

BTW hey over, revo, turbo, need... hope all of u are doing good, been awhile
    been there bought that

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by forbes
    wow lets think of all the things that has gone bad with this so far...
    first is his altitude...
    second is his 74 or whatever right outta the box... no shift point changes or nothing... the nitro gods must have been smiling on you that day...
    third it took 3 days to post a vid cause u were editing it.... (u said it not me) i know for a fact if u pull 80... u would throw it up right then in excitment and would not care about even having it look good... the run was bogus filmed... not even the complete thing... u need to over's video.. he will show what counts as legit...
    and fourth of all... the tranny won't hold up... not at that ratio... especially after a few passes...
    if im wrong... i will admit it.. but right now things don't look to favor your claim... the nitro gods are truly saddened

BTW hey over, revo, turbo, need... hope all of u are doing good, been awhile
    I always try to give the benefit of the doubt when it comes to claims. I did seek a few problems such as he stated that the bushnell radar and the Garmin was used at the same time which I didn't see the radar gun in the video. However he did say when the weather gets better he will make another video so letís at least be patient and wait. It has been cold for the most part of the U.S. I will still give him the benefit until he proves to me otherwise.
    Speed is the rate of change of distance with time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice to hear about you Forbes, im doing good, hope everything go well for you too
    ABmods

RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!
    I don't think we will see another video .

It look legit, but who knows.
    I got skills!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If it can help give an idea, heres a 82mph run i did with my top speed bashing buddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK5bD6gUNPg

The 82mph run is at 7 minutes 57 in the video...

In the first run at 77mph i was not full throttle , i was about to lose control at a little over 3/4 throttle(accelerated a little too fast..) , i had to slow down.

ABmods

RC Qualifier
    that thing is flat out moving !! lol
    Rustler VXL SPC Power
    4-tec 5700K MM SPC Power