RC Racer

Shock spring question

I am looking for new shock springs for my merv and all towerhobbies had were 1/16 slash springs. Is there a difference between these and 1/16 e revo springs? I was also thinking of adding heavier shock oil. Probably about 50 weight. I want the truck to be a little stiffer, but not overly sprung. Just wanted a clarification one that first question...
    'Brushless...RCs Magnacharger'

RC Qualifier
    get two sets of thesethey're better than the green/tan/black traxxas springs

RC Racer
    Have a lot of mini revo owners been buying these? And impressed with their improved performance?

RC Champion
    i use the gmp shocks they are sick and not to soft and not to firm
    RC RUNS IN MY BLOOD!

R
    E
    V
    O

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SubieFan
    Have a lot of mini revo owners been buying these? And impressed with their improved performance?
    there's thread upon thread about how the green one's are a joke and the blacks aren't firm enough, some people resorted to springs from ace hardware and those that use 'em seem to like 'em. other people ended up with aftermarket shocks and like the springs that go with them, other people still haven't found the ideal set (i'm a member of that group) but have found something that stleast works for now.

search the forum, you'll find everything you need.

RC poster
    I think that the suspension is set up fairly good on the MERV with ONE BATTERY. I added a second battery. The additional weight causes the suspension to sag more than I would like.

I bought the TRAXXAS black springs and installed them. I am not real impressed with them. My biggest complaint with them is... they are too short. The stock green springs are about a quarter of an inch longer when sitting next to the black (or tan) springs. I have to run the adjusting collars a third of the way down to just "make contact" with the black springs. To adjust the black springs so that the desired amount of sag is obtained, I have to adjust the collars down so that the springs almost bind (completely compress) at full suspension travel. I think a longer spring of this weight would be better.

Now, with the black springs cranked tight, the wheels dribble like basketballs over rough terrain. I need more damping. I will try a heavier oil, like 60 wt, first. Or, I might examine the holes in the piston to see if I could plug one with a set screw. I will post up the results.

I might look into the ACE springs because I would like a wider range of adjustment. If I cinch the shock collars down more to raise the ride height, the springs will bind before the suspension bottoms out, stopping the suspension travel short.

I used to race these cars years ago, before I ever heard of TRAXXAS, so I know a thing or two about setting these cars up. These MERVs are not bad, but they need to make a kit for adjusting the suspension for the additional weight of a second battery, or at least outline how to do it in the owner's manual. A better spring and shock valve selection would be beneficial as well.

I hope this helps my fellow MERV owners and gives you TRAXXAS folks some ideas.

Mike

RC Racer
    To adjust the black springs so that the desired amount of sag is obtained, I have to adjust the collars down so that the springs almost bind (completely compress) at full suspension travel. I think a longer spring of this weight would be better.
    I think the stock green springs pretty much do the same thing. A progressive spring might just be the way to go. Still has small bump absorbsion and the further it is compresses the more it resists bottoming out. I just want a little stiffer truck. Not super tight. I also just realized my shocks are leaking oil. So i dont know if a new traxxas set will do the same thing or not.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortec MAX
    I think that the suspension is set up fairly good on the MERV with ONE BATTERY. I added a second battery. The additional weight causes the suspension to sag more than I would like.

I bought the TRAXXAS black springs and installed them. I am not real impressed with them. My biggest complaint with them is... they are too short. The stock green springs are about a quarter of an inch longer when sitting next to the black (or tan) springs. I have to run the adjusting collars a third of the way down to just "make contact" with the black springs. To adjust the black springs so that the desired amount of sag is obtained, I have to adjust the collars down so that the springs almost bind (completely compress) at full suspension travel. I think a longer spring of this weight would be better.

Mike
    +1
    What's the deal with those black springs?
    Who thought making them shorter was a good plan and why?
    Somebody screwed up the blueprint.

It's my understanding that the double-stripe springs are for the Slash and the single stripe springs for the MERV. I expect to get my digital caliper in the mail soon, so I can take some precise measurements.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Now
    It's my understanding that the double-stripe springs are for the Slash and the single stripe springs for the MERV.
    I measured the stock green springs at about .87 inches long. The tan and black springs are about .82 inches long. So they are really only about .05 (1/16") shorter. That small amount makes a difference however.

They market these springs as fitting the GTR shocks, which I understand are used in both the MERV and Slash. The stock green springs did not have a "double" stripe. The marking looked just like the tan and black springs, except for color of course.

I measured the shock itself with the spring removed. With the shock collar all the way up to the cap, there is .92" between the shock collar and the groove that the spring sits on at the other end. In other words, a .92" long spring would fit in there exactly. Ideally, there would be a small amount of preload when the collar is all the way up. I think a spring that is close to 1" long would be ideal.

This also means that the collar must come down .05" to contact the stock green spring.

I hope this helps.

Mike