RC Qualifier

Slash 4x4 Platinum vs. RTR

I need help guys, and sorry if this has been asked before but which edition should I get?

I don't have a decent radio besides the stock stampede one so that screams rtr, but I do want the big bores, racing diff, and sway bars. I really don't need or want aluminum but if I got the platinum it would just be a pluse. Somebody said those are good places for aluminum but I've used rpm in the past for fear of the metal bending, So is it worth it to get the plat. edition or could I get the parts (sway bars, optinal diff, and the big bores) that I wanted for less.

Finally I was wondering how much better are the big bores then stock? I've experienced no problems with the stock shocks in the past so would they be similar in proformence with the metal caps put on?

And are there any good radios not necasarily spektrem that you would suggest, that are cheaper then the stock one if I go Plat. or hopefully there is a trade up option soom. I'm really confused so any help is appreciated. Please share pros and cons of each and thanks for any help
    Last edited by stampedeman109; 12-24-2009 at 04:58 PM.

RC Competitor
    i went with the PE even though i dont have a good radio... the pe has about $200 in upgrades. im using the crappy fm radio in mine for now and will probably end up getting the new traxxas link of egay.

RC Champion
    Personally, I would do the RTR if I were you just for the radio. I just bought the towerhobbies 2.4 ghz radio a few months ago so I got ordered the PE. Having a radio with crazy distance and knowing interferance won't be a problem is awsome.
    But at the same time I know what you're saying about the big bores. I want those really bad too and I DO want the aluminum parts so the PE was the for sure way to go for me.
    If you have another $80 or so for a decent radio, go PE. If not, having a ghz radio is sooooo nice.
    ****** out Rustler
    Slash 4x4 gettin' close

RC Champion
    I ran ultra shocks for a long time on numerous trucks and they were fine. HOWEVER: They aren't made to withstand insane jumps or extremely rough use. A simple set of aluminum (Big Bore) shock caps help them 100% by keeping you from blowing the tops off.

If you have the budget for Big Bores, go for it. I love mine and highly recommend them. If you don't have the extra money, then get a set of aluminum caps and you'll be fine until you can upgrade to Big Bores.
    [_] |||||||| [_]

I'm not a fan of alum parts but I do order the PE cuz I love the center diff, big bores & sway bar. I'm going to sell all the alum up-grades to get RPMs(soon they're available).
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Qualifier
    I wish I would of gotten the Platinum now...If I had bought the platinum I would have no broken parts. I broke a castor and the input shaft on the front end. these parts are aluminum on the Platinum!

RC Racer
    Can't everyone trade in a crappy FM radio for a new 2.4 GHz from Traxxas for $62??

http://www.traxxas.com/v2/powerup/model/?id=5

Seems like the Platinum Edition is a no brainer for me...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by nu64man
    Can't everyone trade in a crappy FM radio for a new 2.4 GHz from Traxxas for $62??

http://www.traxxas.com/v2/powerup/model/?id=5

Seems like the Platinum Edition is a no brainer for me...
    no, it has to be the TQ-2 which is AM. Send it back, pay the $67 and its yours.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by outkast187
    no, it has to be the TQ-2 which is AM. Send it back, pay the $67 and its yours.
    Oops! I meant AM not FM.. The deal appears to be any Traxxas radio... Correct me if I am wrong.

RC Champion
    here is what you should do get the PE and a tower 2.4 ghz radio only $74
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    the traxxas radio is alot better than the tower radio...

RC Champion
    The 2.4 GHz radio you trade up for is the old one last I checked and not the new one with Tradxas link.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by outkast187
    the traxxas radio is alot better than the tower radio...

While that is true, the tower radio is about half the price if you are goign to be buying them. I would rather have the Airtronics 2.4 for 99 over the traxxas one.

Imo its PE all the way.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Champion
    I would have went with RTR if the Platinum didn't come with big bores. Those are a must and the best upgrade.
    We ride together..We die together..Bad Boys 4Life

RC poster
    I don't need a charger or battery, but i need the radio.

I think the radio is great, but think i get a cheaper one...

Platinum Edition 4 me!

RC Competitor
    Had the RTR preordered at Tower till the news of the Platinum came out so I canceled the RTR and now have the Platinum on order.
    Found the radio gear from a RTR on another board for $70 shipped.

Thats the route I took.
    Cant buy the upgrades found on the Platinum for $70.

Quote Originally Posted by transambill
    Had the RTR preordered at Tower till the news of the Platinum came out so I canceled the RTR and now have the Platinum on order.
    Found the radio gear from a RTR on another board for $70 shipped.

Thats the route I took.
    Cant buy the upgrades found on the Platinum for $70.
    +1! you got the point. the tq 2.4 radio will go cheaper & cheaper later.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

I understand the racers wanting the PE. But I would think that the center diff and sways, are all that I would consider race grade. Those BB shocks, are the same performance as stockers, they share all important parts, the aluminum parts are added weight, unsure if it's needed, and you get a unpainted body.

So I'm thinking the best bet is to get either, sell off what you don't want, and keep the rest.

IMO if you want good shocks, 1/8 scale buggy shocks are a must. The performance difference is worth every penny.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    I was going to go for the PE but when I found out that Traxxas was putting a new 2.4GHz controller with the RTR with a twenty model memory I change my mind to the RTR. I really want to give this radio a try.
    -----The iceage is over, embrace the voltage.-----

RC Racer
    Gees get one of each..

That said I did crack my rear hub carrier on my rtr already. Although a little carbon fiber strand and epoxy and I've continued to drive as hard as I was..

If I had the PE at the time of my accident I would have cracked an A arm or something else which would not have been so easy to repair (since I'm guessing the alum part would not have broken.

Some one should weigh the PE and RTR and see which one is lighter. I'd say hey would be with in an ounce or 2 (assuming the RTR tires are not filled with snow seeing they have been able to drive for a few days..hehe

Either way I'm sure we will be seeing both RTR and Plat's winning races.

I pulled my center shaft for a bit and the car also (as you would figure) makes a good 2wd.. Wondering if that would be an option to race one in the 2wd class doing that.. Course you would also want to pull the front diff out and ditch the shafts but that is a lot more work.

was fun 2wd though..

b.

RC Competitor
    The big bores and center diff on the PE is what made my mind up. Once I started to run on a 1/8th scale track I had nothing but problems with the stock shock. I upgraded to the big bore caps first but always got leaks, then broke down and bought the big bores. Much better and no more leaks. The softer tires will be nice as well, our track is dry hard packed and the stock 2wd tires were worthless on it.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the responses, but can anyone tell me what the center diff does for perforamance, I just read that you would want it for racing and high traction surfaces. I know I want the sway bars, and the big bores but they can wait. I really don't feel like painting a body, I got a stampede body for chrismas I have to paint yet. I guess I'll go rtr and get the radio. But about the platinum, we all know all the awsome upgrades that comes with it and when I first saw it I thought it would be much more expensive than the rtr but yesterday I saw it was about 10 bucks cheaper than the rtr on tower and I thought it was cool when traxxas said the prices would be about the same, but now its even cheaper than I originaly thought. cool man I'm really excited about this thing, but I'm only worried about the high temp's and the fact that my LHS won't run them inside because thier to fast

RC Qualifier
    i tried to add the cost of all the upgrades that PE has over RTR, i have to say it would be about the same that RTR has over PE (since you dont get the radio, painted body, battery from PE).

from the posts i have seen in the forum, people with PE have already broken parts on their spanking new trucks, so PE is not bullet-proof. it really depends on how you drive your truck...

the way i look at the PE is that, if you already have your favorite radio system, then get that. but if you wanna try out the new traxxas radio system, then get the RTR, then you can do your upgrades if you wish to at your own pace (e.g one at a time)

RC Champion
    Actually, I believe the hop-ups on the PE totaled about $210. The radio and receiver are about $100 on Tower after discounts and then a painted body is about another $50. You can buy any battery easily for less than the difference. Just like you said though, it all depends on if you have a radio you like already and batteries. If you're new into the hobby though, the RTR is a good buy.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by healthyfatboy
    Actually, I believe the hop-ups on the PE totaled about $210. The radio and receiver are about $100 on Tower after discounts and then a painted body is about another $50. You can buy any battery easily for less than the difference. Just like you said though, it all depends on if you have a radio you like already and batteries. If you're new into the hobby though, the RTR is a good buy.
    1. big bore shocks - $70 retail/ $50 ebay
    2. c-hubs/caster blocks - $24 retail/ $22 ebay
    3. steering blocks - $35 retail/ $28 ebay
    4. stub axle carriers - $35 retail/ $26 ebay
    5. sway bars - cannot find the part no. probably $20
    6. axle nuts - $7.50

thats about $191.50 retail and $153.50 street price, so the stuff you get from RTR is about the same as that!

RC Qualifier
    Ya and pluse most people don't add in the cost of the stock parts like c hubs and shocks, so if you look at it the big bores are only about 20 bucks more then the plastic ones. An also metal bends. My hobby store tells most people to stay away from aluminum and go RPM even though traxxas stuff is a lot more $. I look at it like this, you either bend aluminum parts, or if the aluminum survives you break the next weakest part. I'd rather replace a cheap plastic part than an metal one or an arm that breaks because of the metal. I'll just have to wait and see what RPM comes out with now.

RC Champion
    You found all the 4x4 aluminum parts on e-Bay already? I know some things like the big bores are available but several of the aluminum parts are brand new and not available yet. I am still tempted to the RTR instead but we'll see. I kind of like the thought of painting my own body but we'll see about that. Either way, it's a good deal for whichever one you go with.

RC Qualifier
    Anyone know how much the center diff is? I didn't see it in erevo09's post.
    Been there, broken that.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TrpleD
    Anyone know how much the center diff is? I didn't see it in erevo09's post.
    ooops, i forgot to include that. i honestly dont know about that one... sorry...

"Traxxas Power-Up"! you can trade-in your old tq radio for new 2.4GHz for only $62.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Crazy
    "Traxxas Power_Up"! you can trade-in your old tq radio for new 2.4GHz for only $62.
    yep, you sure can, but it wont be the NEW Traxxas LINK radio that comes with the 4x4.

RC Champion
    In addition to your costs, it doesn't include the softer S1 compound tire as well. You'll have to add that if that interests you as well.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by healthyfatboy
    In addition to your costs, it doesn't include the softer S1 compound tire as well. You'll have to add that if that interests you as well.
    yeah i know man, i was just listing out the major parts that PE has that RTR doesnt and vice versa. i honestly dont know which is better. at the moment, i have to say that i am leaning towards the RTR... but i could change my mind in the next second!

need to make up my mind before the 31st, so i can order it from tower with good discount!