Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slash
    yay lets see some pics!!!!!!!!!!!
    X2....... Some action pics would be cool too!!
    Slash 4X4 PLATINUM EDITION, Revo 3.3 Crawler

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6

I think these are gonna be perfect. These are the biggest 2.8's I could find at 3 shops. Closest thing to a monster tire for a 4x4. Right between talons and 3.2 mt's. When I bought them, we mocked up a set with a 2wd slash and an Hpi rubicon. Sweet!
    What tires are these?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6

I think these are gonna be perfect. These are the biggest 2.8's I could find at 3 shops. Closest thing to a monster tire for a 4x4. Right between talons and 3.2 mt's. When I bought them, we mocked up a set with a 2wd slash and an Hpi rubicon. Sweet!
    I had those tires on my pede with the 2.2 setup and they hooked up great.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Champion
    OK, pics first. Sorry no action shots but you can get that from the video I am getting ready to edit. Truck, so far, makes a perfect MT. I ran for about 10 min and then shot radar and it was 34mph in with 2s lipo. In MT trim it ran for 25 min on a ******* 5000mah 20c 2s lipo before hitting LVC. Motor was only 134 degrees! I then threw in a 3s lipo and couldn't hold it straight over 41mph with the tires ballooning soooo bad, but that is ok cause I don't pland on running 3s.

GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by round; 12-29-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Champion
    Here it is..........
    [yt]48EInfd-MLw[/yt]
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Champion
    wow looks grate will you remove the nef bars? and if no is the body pressing down on them?
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by round
    Here it is..........
    [yt]48EInfd-MLw[/yt]

dose not work
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

Looks good. I'd say those speeds and temps seem pretty reasonable. Wnat was your ambient temp? Any plan on losing those side bumpers and slamming that body down?
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    Sorry try this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48EInfd-MLw
    Body is just touching the side bars. Kinda looks like nerf bars. If I lower the body I might have a tire rub problem, but we shall see.
    Abient temp was about 55
    The platinum truck comes with the aluminum upgrades and the stock rear axle carriers. I will swap back to stock on the MT to reduce some of the rear toe in.
    Last edited by round; 12-29-2009 at 06:53 PM.
    HARDCORR RACING

Nice man, I like it. Accelerates good, and nice wheelies. Thats how mine is gonna be setup. Well kinda
    _
    _

RC Racer
    Round, what size pinion are you running with those big tires? Nice truck!

RDYTORUN- Those look like Baja Wide tires, I have them on order as well, they look nice and the track I sometimes frequent typically runs V tread tires in their monster classes. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWFX2

Anybody have a how to for taping tires?

RC Champion
    ^^^^^^^^^^I hope tower is wrong on their description because they say those tires are only 4.09 in. tall

Stock gearing and as I stated 134 degrees after 25 min runtime 55 degrees ambient temp. Awesome. I will not even consider the castle/neu 2650 if the motor temps remain this cool.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Racer
    ^^^^^^^^^^I hope tower is wrong on their description because they say those tires are only 4.09 in. tall

Stock gearing and as I stated 134 degrees after 25 min runtime 55 degrees ambient temp. Awesome. I will not even consider the castle/neu 2650 if the motor temps remain this cool.
    That is good news on the motor/gearing. I'm glad I didn't spend $150-$200+ just yet on some monster motor when the little VXL does it again! I think I'll just use the VXL and my Sidewinder esc at this point.

I found conflicting info on the tire size, one site said 5". I sure hope they are more like 4.9"+ and its a typo at Tower. If Tower is wrong I'll let them know. They'll sell a heck of a lot more of them if people know they are 5" tall.

I stated 134 degrees after 25 min runtime 55 degrees ambient temp. Awesome. I will not even consider the castle/neu 2650 if the motor temps remain this cool.
    Well from my experience with this motor, you can expect it to gain atleast temp for temp with ambient, if not more. So if it was at 95, you'd be at atleast 174.

However, I have to wonder why you wouldn't want to gear it down and run 3s? IMO this is this motors sweet spot. 3s geared for 50 or so and my motors have always ran cooler then 150. These smaller 2 pole Fiegaos run more effeciently higher in their rpm range then their bigger brother the XL, and are totally different then their distant cousin the 4pole CC-Neu. Which IMO even the 2650 is way to much motor.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    Was the above video on 2s? I was thinking yes but to be able to pull wheelies that long would be impressive on only 2s, although I guess with the added traction of larger tires and the higher COG it would def help.

I am hoping someone can mod this truck up with some 1/8 buggy/truggy shocks and maybe modify the a-arms a bit to get some more suspension travel. Ideally though it is best to keep the COG as low as possible so the stock setup + taller tires should be good.

I still want to run the 5.9 badlands tires to see how they run on j concepts rulux half ups half offsets with 17mm adapters. I think these would be the absolute IDEAL setup for this truck as long as it does not shred the drivetrain (which...it very well might lol).
    Last edited by needapeed; 12-29-2009 at 11:13 PM.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    5.25" Tall. Have them right here. They are 2.8's and will work with 30 series tires.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    I'm SO making mine an MT!!! That vid is sweet! Nice wheelie!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    round, you may have just made the perfect basher.

The simplicity and durability of a slash, with added offroad ability, AND 4x4? Holy smokes what a combo.

That just about convinces me to get the 4x4, yet again.... jeeze what a great looking truck you got.

Edit:
    Round, you basically made a 4xstampede, a truck many people have been asking for, for a long time!
    Last edited by ducati777; 12-30-2009 at 08:42 AM.

RC Champion
    2s lipo

Edit:
    Round, you basically made a 4xstampede, a truck many people have been asking for, for a long time!

Just what I was thinking. I was into rc for many years before owning a Stampede. I had just about everything but a stampede. People usually consider the stampede a "beginner truck". Well let me tell you that one day I got a wild hair and went and bought a stampede and I was shocked. Maybe it is a beginner truck because it is soooo simple and back to the basics of a rc vehicle. I loved the stampede but wanted a longer wheel base so I installed a slash chassis and kept the MT wheels and installed my ERBE truck body. This WAS the perfect truck, only if it was 4x4. It was fast, high flyin, and durable. Then Traxxas announces the slash 4x4, and that is when I sold my ERBE!
    I can't wait for you guys to get started and post up some pics and tire options. This truck is going to be sooooo much fun. Imex makes some awesome looking tires, I just find their descriptions on Tower are usually way off. My next mission is to find some more 2.8 wheels. I am soooo over the tork ones. I currently have 2 sets and am tired of looking at them. I did find that IMEX makes some different ones.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXWFY1&P=K
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXWFX9&P=K
    I like both of these and would love to see them in person.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Well from my experience with this motor, you can expect it to gain atleast temp for temp with ambient, if not more. So if it was at 95, you'd be at atleast 174.

However, I have to wonder why you wouldn't want to gear it down and run 3s? IMO this is this motors sweet spot. 3s geared for 50 or so and my motors have always ran cooler then 150. These smaller 2 pole Fiegaos run more effeciently higher in their rpm range then their bigger brother the XL, and are totally different then their distant cousin the 4pole CC-Neu. Which IMO even the 2650 is way to much motor.
    All motors run cooler with more voltage to get them in their peak rpm range. 3s is surely an option for me, just havent had time to experiment yet. Can't wait, sounds like fun.
    HARDCORR RACING

All motors run cooler with more voltage to get them in their peak rpm range
    Right, but for most bigger Fiegao motors, that is under 30000 rpm's. So many would try to say that 38k is to high for a VXL. I just wanted to make sure you weren't one of those people
    _
    _

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Right, but for most bigger Fiegao motors, that is under 30000 rpm's. So many would try to say that 38k is to high for a VXL. I just wanted to make sure you weren't one of those people
    HA HA 30,000rpm. That's for the nitro guys!
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Competitor
    hey... which ***** Lipo is he running in that picture? Any mod to the chassis to get the wires to fit?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bbecker
    hey... which ***** Lipo is he running in that picture? Any mod to the chassis to get the wires to fit?

Wires??? LOL... Tires...

I think they bolt right up.

RC Competitor
    Yeah... I am talking about the pic on page 1

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...5/SSPX0340.jpg

The ***** Lipo installed. I wonder if he had to notch the chassis for the lipo to fit flush.

RC Champion
    That is a ******* 2s 5000mah 20c and yes the chassis has to be dremeled. FYI I also tried my ******* 3s 5000mah 30c and it fits under the battery strap like it was meant to be. No expander necessary.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Champion
    Sorry try this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48EInfd-MLw
    Body is just touching the side bars. Kinda looks like nerf bars. If I lower the body I might have a tire rub problem, but we shall see.
    Abient temp was about 55
    The platinum truck comes with the aluminum upgrades and the stock rear axle carriers. I will swap back to stock on the MT to reduce some of the rear toe in.
    so you keep the side bumpers on just for more durability?
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    What kind of truck is that MT body actually made for?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysls1
    What kind of truck is that MT body actually made for?
    The Slash. http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=336

It's a Illuzion - Slash - Gladiator body
    Part # - 0084
    (Fits Traxxas Slash)

RC Competitor
    Round,

Thanks for the reply on the batts... Its good to know that the 3S will fit. Did you really have to dremel? Or could you have bend it toward the front of the truck?

RC Champion
    I would really like the tires that rag6 posted up too. Those keep the real monster truck look and they are pretty big.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWFX2&P=7

But finding the rims is what is confusing me. The info on the tires say they fit the jato, and I have looked at the jato rims. Doesn't the jato have the pin drive things? Like, they aren't hexes and you have to have some funny wheel nuts right? I'm shopping at tower now, I need the extended battery hold down for my 3s. Gettin' some progressive springs for the big bores too. They are from Integy but for springs, surely they won't fall apart.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXBY4&P=7
    I assume blue and black are the harder ones. I HATE red.

EDIT: Hum. After rereading you say those tires are 5 inches tall, that almost seems too big! I'll have to see some pics and temps first.
    Last edited by fisheydude; 12-30-2009 at 03:39 PM.
    ****** out Rustler
    Slash 4x4 gettin' close

RC Champion
    Round,

Thanks for the reply on the batts... Its good to know that the 3S will fit. Did you really have to dremel? Or could you have bend it toward the front of the truck?
    Definately dremel. No way around it.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fisheydude
    I would really like the tires that rag6 posted up too. Those keep the real monster truck look and they are pretty big.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWFX2&P=7

But finding the rims is what is confusing me. The info on the tires say they fit the jato, and I have looked at the jato rims. Doesn't the jato have the pin drive things? Like, they aren't hexes and you have to have some funny wheel nuts right? I'm shopping at tower now, I need the extended battery hold down for my 3s. Gettin' some progressive springs for the big bores too. They are from Integy but for springs, surely they won't fall apart.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXBY4&P=7
    I assume blue and black are the harder ones. I HATE red.

EDIT: Hum. After rereading you say those tires are 5 inches tall, that almost seems too big! I'll have to see some pics and temps first.
    The swamp dawgs I have are 5in. tall too.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Champion
    Well, that doesn't seem so bad then. I was looking at a ruler, seems bigger on a ruler I guess.
    ****** out Rustler
    Slash 4x4 gettin' close

RC Champion
    I should have just reread this earlier. After rereading, I placed an order for those baja wide tires and the torque rims. I was really hoping to find some dark rims because I don't like the shinny chrome on a monster truck. Also some sling shot paddles and some other goodies.
    ****** out Rustler
    Slash 4x4 gettin' close

RC Champion
    So you were able to wheelie down that street on stock gearing and only 2s ? Man I can hardly imagine a MMM +2200 NeuCastle , gotta be totally uncontrollable unless you put on street tires like the Jato has.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Competitor
    Btw... Love your Youtibe video...

you going to launch that thing off an ramp to see how the truck holds up?

Anyone getting the E-Rustler RPM rear arms just in case?

RC Champion
    Btw... Love your Youtibe video...

you going to launch that thing off an ramp to see how the truck holds up?

Anyone getting the E-Rustler RPM rear arms just in case?
    Before I get harassed to shoot video. I am not ready to launch it quite yet being as there are no parts. I do however have a ramp and do plan on launching it soon! For those of you that havent seen my build thread in the erbe forum, here is a pic of my ramp.

I don't care for the shiny wheels either. If i can't find anything else I will sand all the chrome form the tork wheels and dye them black.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Competitor
    NICE ramp....That thing looks like it can launch ur slash at least 15 ft in the air...

RC Champion
    OK round 2! I ran the truck much harder today 22min runtime 56deg. ambient, 162deg. motor 128deg. esc. I ran it hard through tall wet grass. It went through it great but as you can see the temps went up. Gonna have to gear down and try 3s next. Truck is very durable, my son hit me 2 or 3 times at full speed and it went tumbling. I also pulled up to my neighbors tree and gunned it to backflip off the tree. Awesome! What should I gear it at to keep the same speed but on 3s?
    Gotta go get some fireworks, I'll check back later.
    Alvin
    HARDCORR RACING