Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    105

    First Lipo purchases, Good deal?

    I'm a newbie here so if battery questions start crazy debates or anything please don't yell at me lol. I now how it is on the Evo forums when a new guy buys an Evo and starts asking which blow off valve he should get lol.....the whole site goes nuts! lol.

    Anyway I'm looking for a couple lipos that I could run in both my Rustler VXL and Slash 4X4. I've found some deals that seem "too good to be true" compared to some of the lipo prices I've seen. I am not looking for insane speed so much as I am good constant power with a really long run time. Here's a few that I've found. Good deal?

    http://www.rcplanet.com/Venom_LiPo_3...p/vnr15009.htm

    http://www.rcslot.com/pc-radio-contr...xxas-connector

    http://www.rcplanet.com/Venom_3S_500...p/vnr1582t.htm

    I've read several threads about zipy and ******* LiPo's but the pics I saw on ********* did not show the Traxxas connectors. I'm going for simplicity here lol.

    Thanks for your advice!

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    105
    Oh, and if it helps I just replaced my charger with a Pro-Peak SIGMA II charger.

    http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/158400.asp

    It has built-in lipo balancing and everything. So it will handle my NiMH no problem and any lipos that I purchase.

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    35
    looks to be an okay deal. I havent ran that brand but 3s2p is a nice setup. *********/********* lipos typically do not have connectors, they used to come with deans, but not anymore. I head it was some copright issue as they were knock-off deans.

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Greenwood Bashplex
    Posts
    12,919
    I have not used these, but they are getting good reviews on this forum. The first one you linked to seem to be a good deal. Check tower hobbies site. You may get them at a better price with coupons.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    1,861

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Greenwood Bashplex
    Posts
    12,919
    Ok, you can save with tower:

    2s 49.99 w/free ship

    and:

    3s 57.99 w/free ship.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6
    I have not used these, but they are getting good reviews on this forum. The first one you linked to seem to be a good deal. Check tower hobbies site. You may get them at a better price with coupons.

    I know right? A LiPo 3S 2P 11.1V 6400mAh 20C with Traxxas Plug for $69 sounds like a bargain. And If I understand the way it works, the 6400mAh means that it should have a really long run time right? The voltage rating is like the horsepower your engine puts out, the mAh rating is like the size of your gas tank. I read that somewhere lol.

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Greenwood Bashplex
    Posts
    12,919
    The higher mah can also give you a little more torque also.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    105
    ^yea that's what I need lol....it's all I can do to keep the front wheels on the Rustler VXL on the ground running 8-Cell 9.6V 4200mAh. LOL

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. asheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    7,361
    If I were you I'd check out the SPC packs. http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?categoryID=13
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

  11. #11
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    35
    For a really good understanding of how voltage, amps, and C rating of lipos work, do some google searches and read anything you can find at rcgroups. The electric airplane guys over there really understand things well and explain it well. I grasp most of it, but can explain it as well as those guys can.

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rockhill Furnace,PA
    Posts
    35
    I found venom 8000mah on tower for $69.99. I prefer spc packs over the venom's only because I can charge them at 2C. but if your not in a hurry to charge you can get 3 venoms on tower for 200.52 depending on your coupon I can save 35 so that's 165.52= 55.17 each vs 72.95 each from spc. thats a bargin
    let'er rip

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Jamul, CA
    Posts
    484
    stay away from venom
    SLASH IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

  14. #14
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    35
    and your reason is? I am running venom packs in my mini and they are fine...

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    290
    I use Venom Lipo's and have never had a problem! Venom NIMH batteries suck, but their Lipo's are great! I have 3-5000 hardcase 40c and a 20c 3s 6400 for bashing. I also own a 5000 Maxamps and could tell no difference between the 2, except price!!!!! Venom rocks!

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,378
    Venom LiPo's are great! And they don't swell like *****s... The NiMh batteries were the problem...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

  17. #17
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by oggydog
    I found venom 8000mah on tower for $69.99. I prefer spc packs over the venom's only because I can charge them at 2C. but if your not in a hurry to charge you can get 3 venoms on tower for 200.52 depending on your coupon I can save 35 so that's 165.52= 55.17 each vs 72.95 each from spc. thats a bargin
    What does the 1C and 2C charge rate refer to? Is that the sane as the charge Amp setting for NiMh? So if I went with a venom 3C 11.1V 30C 5000mha-8000mha what am I looking at for charging times? Would I not charge at the mha rating? For example 5000mha would be a 5.0A charge rate?

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by CICreations
    What does the 1C and 2C charge rate refer to? Is that the sane as the charge Amp setting for NiMh? So if I went with a venom 3C 11.1V 30C 5000mha-8000mha what am I looking at for charging times? Would I not charge at the mha rating? For example 5000mha would be a 5.0A charge rate?


    Your example would be correct. 5000mah battery means 1c is 5 amps, 2c is 10 amps, etc. A 1c charge rate will take a bit over an hour to charge.
    Been there, broken that.

  19. #19
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by CICreations
    What does the 1C and 2C charge rate refer to? Is that the sane as the charge Amp setting for NiMh? So if I went with a venom 3C 11.1V 30C 5000mha-8000mha what am I looking at for charging times? Would I not charge at the mha rating? For example 5000mha would be a 5.0A charge rate?
    You should also look @ value hobby lipos. They are cheap and in the us with 3.95 flat rate shipping. I think its like 30 or 40 bucks for a 7.4 5000mah pack
    Slash- 7.4v Lipo sidewinder 4600kV)

  20. #20
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by CICreations
    I'm a newbie here so if battery questions start crazy debates or anything please don't yell at me lol. I now how it is on the Evo forums when a new guy buys an Evo and starts asking which blow off valve he should get lol.....the whole site goes nuts! lol.

    Anyway I'm looking for a couple lipos that I could run in both my Rustler VXL and Slash 4X4. I've found some deals that seem "too good to be true" compared to some of the lipo prices I've seen. I am not looking for insane speed so much as I am good constant power with a really long run time. Here's a few that I've found. Good deal?

    http://www.rcplanet.com/Venom_LiPo_3...p/vnr15009.htm

    http://www.rcslot.com/pc-radio-contr...xxas-connector

    http://www.rcplanet.com/Venom_3S_500...p/vnr1582t.htm

    I've read several threads about zipy and ******* LiPo's but the pics I saw on ********* did not show the Traxxas connectors. I'm going for simplicity here lol.

    Thanks for your advice!

    Blitz DD on my 240!
    Slash- 7.4v Lipo sidewinder 4600kV)

  21. #21
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rc Room
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by slash_racer
    I use Venom Lipo's and have never had a problem! Venom NIMH batteries suck, but their Lipo's are great! I have 3-5000 hardcase 40c and a 20c 3s 6400 for bashing. I also own a 5000 Maxamps and could tell no difference between the 2, except price!!!!! Venom rocks!
    Thank you, thats the point you should of been able to feel a difference with that much better rated LIPO.

    I'm not sure if this statement is good for Venom and bad for Maxamps or good for Maxamps and bad for Venom.

    $300 sounds about right for a MA waterproofed 3s 5000?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •