Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    95

    Balance charging lipo's in series

    Not sure why my last thread got deleted but just making sure I understand balance charging lipo's in series.



    Does this picture look correct. The battery connected to the negative lead from the charger is connected to the left side of the balance board and the batter connected to the positive lead of the charger is connected to the middle one on the balance board.
    http://rc.runryder.com/fastphoto/644...Charger-01.jpg Link added.
    Last edited by k2fast4u; 12-20-2009 at 02:01 PM.
    TMaxx,ERBE,WRX STI,300ZX TT,CBR600RR,TRX450R

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California, not all its cracked up to be
    Posts
    305
    The photo link seems to be broken.
    Got LiPo?
    X-Ray XB8R w/Novak HV Pro 5.5

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Land of the Leprechaun
    Posts
    2,187
    I'm not 100% how it works with that type of balance board. I just use a 2x 2S to 4S adapter to charge both my 2S batts at the same time. It's than charged as a single 4S. I see on your board you have a place for plugging in two seperate balance taps.
    infowars.com

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    193
    You picture link does not work.

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Land of the Leprechaun
    Posts
    2,187
    ...........
    Last edited by Tiernan85; 12-20-2009 at 06:06 PM.
    infowars.com

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    193
    Forbidden

    You don't have permission to access /fastphoto/64460/rcheli-iCharger-01.jpg on this server.

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Land of the Leprechaun
    Posts
    2,187
    hmm? It worked the first couple times i tried it and now it also does not work. anyway, here is his pic. I hosted it from my photobucket account instead.

    infowars.com

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California, not all its cracked up to be
    Posts
    305
    Yea, it looks about right.... the ichargers/chargery have balancing boards that support charging in series, just make sure your charging lipos of the same capacity.
    Got LiPo?
    X-Ray XB8R w/Novak HV Pro 5.5

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    539
    Ask Hughes500Bob he is really good at that stuff and will give you great advice.
    Last edited by Triton7; 12-20-2009 at 06:51 PM.
    OH WELL, YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A TEKIN RX8...

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    95
    I had another thread going about this same question but it got deleted and I was asking Hughes500Bob some questions but got deleted before he could respond. Also this isn't my picture just one i found to make sure I understand how this series charging works.
    TMaxx,ERBE,WRX STI,300ZX TT,CBR600RR,TRX450R

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California, not all its cracked up to be
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by k2fast4u
    I had another thread going about this same question but it got deleted and I was asking Hughes500Bob some questions but got deleted before he could respond. Also this isn't my picture just one i found to make sure I understand how this series charging works.
    I gotta stop you before you go and fry some lipos.

    Not all chargers support balance charging in series. The ICharger/Chargery have some that do as they have balancing boards that allow setups like 3-2s, 2-2s, 2-3s,2-4s, etc...

    I you decide to balance more than one pack on a charger that doesnt support it you will need to make a harness.

    Here is the link to the thread: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ipos+in+series

    This just adds more chance of error, so I suggest buying a charger that supports it from the factory.
    Last edited by Gasout; 12-20-2009 at 10:14 PM.
    Got LiPo?
    X-Ray XB8R w/Novak HV Pro 5.5

  12. #12
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,559
    Series charging is easy if you know what you are doing. It involves an adaptor of some kind and an understanding of what can go wrong. For people who don't want to deal with the headache, I would just get two seperate cheaper chargers and charge each indvidually, or get a dual output charger.

  13. #13
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG
    Series charging is easy if you know what you are doing. It involves an adaptor of some kind and an understanding of what can go wrong. For people who don't want to deal with the headache, I would just get two seperate cheaper chargers and charge each indvidually, or get a dual output charger.
    Well I do have a charger capable of charging multiple lipo's in series and an appropriate balance board capable also and I'm just making sure everything I have described and the picture I have shown is the correct way of balance charging lipo's in series.
    TMaxx,ERBE,WRX STI,300ZX TT,CBR600RR,TRX450R

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,559
    In the picture above, everything is hooked right. However, you can fry the balance board, balance wires, or balance connectors if you swap the packs around. For example: In the pic above, if you were to swap the balance plugs around on the balance board without swapping the main charging harness, you WILL damage something. This is why the adaptor wiring diagrams on my site say to disconnect the common balance wire.

    k2fast: BTW, I wasn't directing my last post specifically at you, more to the general audience.
    Last edited by BrianG; 12-22-2009 at 08:56 AM.

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oktoberfest, Munich
    Posts
    217
    just my 2cents...hook up with hughesbob and let him make all the connections for you...as a newbie to these advanced electronics (!?!^^) i also depend on his knowledge and let him make and send me the harnesses...
    just be patient-hes in his holidays till end of the year
    sry for advertising^^
    erevo mmm-need mip pins...
    slash pe

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG
    In the picture above, everything is hooked right. However, you can fry the balance board, balance wires, or balance connectors if you swap the packs around. For example: In the pic above, if you were to swap the balance plugs around on the balance board without swapping the main charging harness, you WILL damage something. This is why the adaptor wiring diagrams on my site say to disconnect the common balance wire.

    k2fast: BTW, I wasn't directing my last post specifically at you, more to the general audience.
    Thank you for the help. That makes since though. You want the battery thats hooked up to the negative lead of the charger to be hooked up to the negative side of the balance board and not the positive side of the balance board.
    TMaxx,ERBE,WRX STI,300ZX TT,CBR600RR,TRX450R

  17. #17
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by kzabak
    just my 2cents...hook up with hughesbob and let him make all the connections for you...as a newbie to these advanced electronics (!?!^^) i also depend on his knowledge and let him make and send me the harnesses...
    just be patient-hes in his holidays till end of the year
    sry for advertising^^
    I might have considered this but I have already made my own series charging harness and already have a balance board that does series charging. Thank you for your advise though and this forum is a great community. There is nothing you can't do yourself with just some help from people on here.
    TMaxx,ERBE,WRX STI,300ZX TT,CBR600RR,TRX450R

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •