Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've never found the watt rating for the Dewalt, but it feels like alot more than just 325 watts. Maybe it just has so much torque that it feels like more, but it is way more than the dual Titans.
    kershaw design 700 HO (MABUCHI A09) puts out 300 watts, while the titan 775 (same Mabuchi motor just a step down version, without the timing and 1 winding difference) puts out a little less power than that.

14.4 volt drill and motor geared for 1,800 rpm (approx max rpm ): 325 watts

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=20763

12 volt drill and motor geared for 1,800 rpm : 285 watts

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=20767

18 volt drill and motor gered for 2,000 rpm : 450 watts

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=23057

(I try to always debate with facts). Of course you could increase the voltage, change the gearing and get more power out of it (dewalt motors are known for there ability to be over volted) but these are the most reliable figures direct from Dewalt (well as reliable as a supply vendor can be) .

But I agree these Dewalt motors feel increadible torquey - I have had my dewalt powered summit loose control and blast off across my bed (I caught it just before it smacked the wall) though it was not as powerful as my erbe, it literally was tearing up my sheets and covers
    Last edited by noir 522; 01-29-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T-MAXXTER
    I never found that to work on mine but it will work in reverse... after your next run is over, disconnect your batteries one at a time and if the first one you unplug makes the light on the ESC go out immediately, then that is the BEC plug. If the light stays on for a second or 2, then the plug with the other battery connected is the BEC side. It is usually the harness that has the red tag wrapped around it.

As for 5s, the EVX-2 was not built for that so I wouldn't recommend trying it and I don't know why anyone would suggest it. The car was made to run at a peak of 16.8volts. Beyond that and your asking for smoke. And if you do try it with one 2S and one 3S pack, you have to hook up the 2S pack to the BEC connector or you risk overheating and burning it out with the added 3S voltage being applied to it. Don't try hooking any more then 2S to the built in BEC. Use an external one rated for what you plan to run. And while running the external one, your still powering the internal one so expect that to not work again if you ever go back to 2S.

fugetaboutit, just run the 5s. According to traxxas the evx2 isn't even supposed to be run with lipos . Just hook up your 2s battery to determine wich side is the bec, hook up your 3s to the other connection and enjoy the 5-7 mph increase in top speed. (but watch those temps). I have been running 5s for the last month and my evx2 has been fine. But I would suggest running similiar discharge batteries (ie 2s and 3s both with the same "C" rating) and two lva cuz on my first wide open run my 3s battery discharged faster than my 2s battery (it may have been low on power but I am not certain.)
    Last edited by noir 522; 01-29-2010 at 10:49 AM.

RC Qualifier
    EVX-2 is fine on 5s just make sure the 2s is hooked to the BEC side as noir522 said.

Yes it is rated for 16.8 volts which is 2 x 7 cell packs nominal voltage of 1.2v/cell. NIMH cells actually run about 1.5 - 1.6v/cell straight off the charger and fall to the 1.2v quickly during the run. Run the math and you will see that 1.5v/cell x 14 cells = 21 volts.
    Lipo's run 4.2v/cell fresh of charger and drop to 3.7v/cell after running a bit. 4.2v/cell x 5 cells = 21 volts. The voltage is the same as running two 7 cells packs to start.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, I've been reading all the posts on brushed + lipo's, and i think I'm gonna go that route with my truck. Problem is, most of the posts are out-dated, plus web sites & part numbers change. So my question is: What are the ideal lipos to use with the dewalt & evx2? Ones that won't burn things up or require drastic cutting. Part numbers please....for hobby king.

Is this a decent charger: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Cycler-6S-8A ?

And just to confirm - I will still be able to run the nimh's interchangeably with the lipo's wont i?

Also, the truck has a little bit of downtime while driveshafts are on order. Twisted a front one in half yesterday. Driving with RWD only sux.

RC Champion
    That charger sounds great to me. I have no experience with it but it sounds more than capable. As for LiPos, look for batteries with 30C ratings or more. Your not going to blow it up with more amps, just more voltage (the number of cells). Stick with the 2s and/or 3s battery, and keep the ratings the same. ********* has a size and weight listing for every battery they sell. Its up to you to figure out how much you want to spend. All of their batteries are recommendable. Measure your battery openings in mm's and use those numbers to see if the batts will fit. Almost all of the 2s's will fit. Its the 3s's that will need to be double checked. As for wire thickness, you will most likely need to dremel or file the battery box and lid openings a smidge to fit those beastly wires through but that is a piece of cake and you don't have to do much to make them fit. If we suggest a battery, it will most likely be out of stock so choose from the ones that are available if your not willing to wait for fresh stock. Batteries that are - stock take several weeks to replenish at *********.
    Phs 2 S-Maxx build- 24/54 gears. Can U say faster?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack Job
    And just to confirm - I will still be able to run the nimh's interchangeably with the lipo's wont i?
    If you mean run NiMh or Lipos not at the same time but without needing to change anything, then yes. But definitely no if you mean one of each run together. The Low Voltage Cutoffs that you should install will not affect your truck but will stop the truck from discharging the NiMh batts down the way they should be. You will have to discharge them manually with your charger to get them to charge properly.

RC Qualifier
    A 6 cell NIMH will not work with a LVC and it will cut out way to early. A 7 cell will do pretty good but you will probably only get about 80 - 90% runtime.

RC Champion
    True. I didn't even consider he might try a 6 cell. That would be a horrible tease to under power it that much

RC Enthusiast
    Good info so far. And no, I don't even have any 6 cells so thats not a problem. I've got 2 pair of 7 cell 5000's. I'd just like a little more power cause I don't think I'm giving the dewalt enough juice. As for the LVC, I usually run my batts down to about 80% anyway. My Onyx 220 usually puts about 4100mah each back after a normal bashing.

Like I said earlier, i don't want to cook my current setup, so would 2 2s lipo be sufficient, or would 1 2s and 1 3s be better?

Also, i'll be doing some rewiring for the motor with better wire and new connectors and also putting new brushes in. Current ones don't look like they have much life left.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack Job

Procedure
    1. Remove the brushes from the motor; solder on the power wires. I used solid brass bullets from my LHS. They plug right into the Traxxas ones. As for the wires, I used (2) 3” wires for each side. I used el cheapo bulk wire from Lowes, not very flexible but its sufficient.

how to remove the brush assembly as shown below?????

by the looks of it there is 2 plastic teeth that lock on to the can.do we just pop the assembly out with a screw driver?

also i have just cut the gear off the front of my 14.4v dewalt, to save the motor getting full of unwanted metal shavings, wrap the motor in duct tape and do the same on the front over the holes as well, saves time and you will know for sure no metal shavings are inside your motor to damage it

its cool, just answered my own question.

yes the 2 plastic lugs do clip on to the can
    to remove the brushes, place a small flat bade screw driver between can and brush assembly and twist and the assembly comes straight out

piece of cake!
    Last edited by stinger30; 09-23-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Racer
    Anyone know what are the capacitors for? What do they do?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They suppress RF ( radio frequency ) noise generated by the motor- if you run a 2.4ghz radio, you dont need to worry; if you run an AM radio... get with the times man!
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    will the dewalt 14v fits?
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 01-27-2011 at 02:07 PM.

RC Competitor
    Yes the Dewalt motors fit with motor mount modification mentioned here and elsewhere on the forums.