RC Enthusiast

Red face Have this ever happen to you ???

This is what happened to my front diff while doing a great snow run.

At first I heard like my front diff was skipping a gear on the pinion ring gear assembly. I thought it needed a shimming on the side of the diff like someone said on this forum so I took it apart and here is what I found.

The carrier for the side gear and planetary gear was partially off the ring gear. 2 of the screws holding the gear to the carrier were broken. The little shinny spot on the carrier. The other 2 screws were torn off the carrier too. So to fix this it is going to be a new case and new screws.

Iíve seen this before on real 1:1 truck but a first on my Summit.

What do you think?

RC Champion
    wow, good thing parts are a whole lot cheaper than a 1:1 truck, that would be a $2500.00 fix, lol
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Champion
    WOW Now that's what we call a "grenaded differential".
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC Qualifier
    Hi ,I did that to my T MAXX diff,I think the screws came undone,the ones inside the diff,gutting,I'm sure I've seen an alu diff case somewhere on the net.If I see it I'll post it.

RC Qualifier
    YIKES! That's going to hurt.
    END_OF_LINE

RC Enthusiast
    Well guys it will not be that bad.

The only part I need is #5681 and it is only $5.79 on Tower Hobbies. Strangely it is not on the BuyTraxxas site.

And 4 new bolts.

Anyway it is already fix because I had a spare laying around.

Next time I will try not to forget the camera on my outing.

They are forecasting a snowstorm for Wednesday. If I have sometime off I will test the Summit in it.

RC Enthusiast
    NOFX

I would really like to see that link to the aluminum case. :-)

I've snapped a couple of teeth off both rear spider gears.But that's" blowed up reel good"I've wondered what a gernaded summit diff would look like.But hey if it was a good run it was worth it.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    A few questions for pinpinz....

What exactly were you doing when this happened? Was the diff locked when it blew up?

I ask because I'm eagerly awaiting our first snow to run the Summit. I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to avoid trashing the differentials.

I don't know how necessary locking the diffs is going to be in snow, but so far, I've made a point to lock them only when I need to, and only in low gear while crawling. I never lock them in high gear and full throttle. Not sure if I'm being overly cautious by doing that, or if that's even going to do anything to actually prolong their life.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 313
    A few questions for pinpinz....

What exactly were you doing when this happened? Was the diff locked when it blew up?

I ask because I'm eagerly awaiting our first snow to run the Summit. I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to avoid trashing the differentials.

I don't know how necessary locking the diffs is going to be in snow, but so far, I've made a point to lock them only when I need to, and only in low gear while crawling. I never lock them in high gear and full throttle. Not sure if I'm being overly cautious by doing that, or if that's even going to do anything to actually prolong their life.
    I think he's runnin high power tekin.I don't think stock has the power to do that kinda damage
    Last edited by jamann; 12-12-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Well it happened at the landing of a jump, I think the wheels were still spinning to fast when I hit the ground.

I’m done with breaking the spider and side gears inside the diff since I stop using the lockout when in high gear. This broken diff is the first one in a long time and that diff was on the truck since I had it.

The diff I broke was on my Summit with a twin 775 motor in it. I had to use that one in the snow because my other Summit with the Tekin RX8 was not all ready for snow yet.

Now I have the Tekin running and ready for snow. Like always I go out playing and I forget the camera but I took these when I came back.

The box for the ESC and Motor are working great.

You should hear the RX8 howling in the snow at full speed.
    And with the Mud Slinger it is like a snowstorm coming.

Oh, by the way nothing broke this time.
    Last edited by pinpinz; 12-13-2009 at 07:31 AM.

RC Champion
    VIDEOS ..... WE NEED VIDEOS!!! PLEASE!!!!!

Excellent job on the containment box.
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pinpinz
    The box for the ESC and Motor are working great.
    I'd like to know more about that box. Did you buy it or make it yourself?
    Any links to a thread here or place to buy this would be much appreciated!
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Qualifier
    X2 on the box!!

Let us know what it is, or a link or something!

DONT HOLD BACK!!!!!Before I pull the MMM!!! I was going to get shower caps but I am leary..

I picked up my Novak 2s Smart stop and I am going to be putting Titan/Traxxas ESC back in for winter... I am just worried I am going to be displeased with the performance although some are saying the 775 on 2S lipo is pretty enjoyable...
    Three Summits

RC Enthusiast
    Well guys thank you for the good word on my ESC motor box.

I made it from an old plastic box that had the Pro-Line roof lights in.

I just cut the box in 2 and slide one side inside the other to get the right width and I glued it together. After that I trim the bottom to fit around the transmission and some at the back to let some room for the wires. In front it is held in place by the screw for the spur gear cover and at the back I just used some zip-ties.

Easy to make and since there is no bottom to the box, the air can flow around and does not make the motor or the ESC to over heat although it is hot enough to melt the snow that goes on top of the box. Yesterday when I came back inside there was ice on the battery box where the melted snow leaked down.

Here are some close up pictures. Hope it help you guys to have as much fun as I do in the great winter.

Pinpinz.

RC Champion
    Hey Pinpinz how do you like thoses MudSlingers for crawling and driving in snow
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Qualifier
    Can you post actual measurements of that box...I am going to go the store and buy something to match!!
    I will just wonder through wally world until I find something!!

I like it.. not permanent...effective.. clean looking... I like it.. You can make some exact cuts with a hobby knife..

I have a novak smart stop for sale!!

edit:: I just thought of something...Glad or Rubbermaid disposable food storage containers.... Mmmm.. I am going to look!!
    Last edited by milkman; 12-13-2009 at 02:36 PM.
    Three Summits

RC Enthusiast
    Scoothw

I really like them, make sure to cut your foam and tape the inside and you're going to like them too.

Milkman

The box is:

4 1/4'' wide
    5'' long
    2 1/8'' high

The idea of rubermaid and those stuff is real good too.

RC Racer
    Nice work for some crazy fun!!!
    I just got my RX8 boxed in and I run a showercap for snow/wet.
    Also the 2.4 antenna makes the showercap a nice "tent"
    I got different lids depending on the weather.

pinpinz I am not trying to look better than you IMO you have a very good solution, so we all should contribute to inspire brushless crazyness