RC Competitor

Is runtime the same with Brushless

If I go to brushless motor, what kind of runtime should I expect? Will it be the same as brushed motors and do you use same batteries as brushed or do you have to use lipo

RC Qualifier
    brushless motor's are a lot more efficient and you should see about double the run time .you need lipo if you want a high power brushless system like a MMM or tekin RX8 but a smaller brushless system like a Novak HV you could get away with nimh's
    Last edited by Notin_but_aRevo; 12-03-2009 at 09:47 PM.
    I know you wish you bought a tekin RX8

RC Competitor
    cool that helps a lot, are there any set ups that are waterproof. I really want to switch to lipo and brushless, just don't know what to get or where to even start...I'm a newbie what can I say but the summit has really started something.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not aware of any setups suitable for the Summit that are waterPROOF, but the Castle MMM/2200Kv is said to be water resistant (meaning you can splash through shallow puddles, play in the snow, etc., but you just can't submerge it).
    Not sure what the water resistance claims (if any) are on the Texin RX8.

Agreed, brushless with LiPo should give close to double the runtime as brushed on similar mAh NiMH batts.

RC Qualifier
    the tekin rx8 say's in the manual
    Do not operate speed control in or around water.
    so thats not water proof ..the only water proof system would be to do a dual traxxas Velineon setup..heres a thread with one installed in a e-revohttp://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...=423998&page=3
    I know you wish you bought a tekin RX8

RC Racer
    Everything can be splash proofed!!!
    It all depends on how much work you are willing to put down.
    Run time is about the same or less because I'm using the power.....but it's twice the fun
    It's not meant for weak batteries IMO

Cool pix but what the heck is it? What did you use on the wires going to the motor and going into the green box? How are temps? - Very innovative.

RC Qualifier
    It could be self-sealing tape or "magic" tape. I believe we called it F4 tape in the Air Force. You can usually pick some up at hardware stores or the big box stores.
    END_OF_LINE

RC Racer
    I'm an electrician and that box is what we put inside walls and run wires through.
    The tape is very thick, rubber-like which attach to itself. See pic.
    The temps then: The RX8 puts out LED indication of temps and so far I've only seen three leds (translates to "stock motor") the scale goes to seven; this is where it is approaching thermal shutdown.I have another lid made of filter material made for warmer seasons (see pic).
    I could probably use the filter lid even in wet conditions, with the help of a showercap around the chassi.(Thanks Powerslider)

The Summit is so versatile so some time I spend going slower allowing cooling time.

I never use the on/off switch on the RX8. This was one of my worries; but luckily it powers up when hooking up the batteries.