RC Racer

How Do I know If The Diffs Are Locked or Not?

Uhh...I hope this isn't a dumb question? Anyway, I recently swapped the stock radio with the TQ-4 2.4Ghz radio. It seems to be working fine, but I used to remember(I don't use the Summit that often) when I locked the front,rear, or both...I would hear a click and see the vehicle engage the drive. Now, I just hear the servos move, but it doesn't seem like anything happens. Right now, in the fully open positon all four wheels are turning with throttle, if I lock the front, rear, or both...I do not see any difference...all four wheels are still spinning. Does this sound normal? The servos are moving, but I have feeling it's not engaging? Any advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks!
    ERBE,EMBE,Emaxx,(3)Slash 4x4,Summit,Summit 1/16

RC Champion
    if u want to see if the diffs are locking. try to climb a wall with the diffs open.then lock the front if u lock the front the front wheels should spin a the same time same for the rear wheels..
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

RC Qualifier
    to test if the diffs are locked just ....lock them with the radio and hold one of the wheels left or right doesn't matter and try to spin the wheel on the opposite side with your hand if the wheel on the opposite side spins while your holding the other its unlocked ..if it doesn't spin unless you let go of the wheel your holding then its locked

thats the best way i can think of to test it hope this helps
    I know you wish you bought a tekin RX8

RC Racer
    I do this sometimes when going from locked to UNlocked.
    Lift up the truck by the battery tray leaving two wheels grounded
    Put one foot to a spinning wheel and give throttle; the wheel should be stopped by the foot

RC Racer
    Thanks for the advice...I'll give it a try.
    ERBE,EMBE,Emaxx,(3)Slash 4x4,Summit,Summit 1/16

Quote Originally Posted by egmuni
    Thanks for the advice...I'll give it a try.
    A quick way lift back of truck.Spin one wheel by hand if the other wheel is turnig the opposite way it's unlocked. if it's locked once the slack in the drive train is taken up both wheels turn together same direction
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann
    A quick way lift back of truck.Spin one wheel by hand if the other wheel is turnig the opposite way it's unlocked. if it's locked once the slack in the drive train is taken up both wheels turn together same direction
    this is correct and the best way, IMO. Same as with full sized real trucks too, BTW.
    50 characters and no BB code for sigs is useless!

RC Competitor
    Hi Guys,

I thought about mounting a small contact switch to the diff horns. If you assume that the differential is really locked at its end position you only have to adjust the switch carefully at that position. Then attach an LED and you always know about the state of your diffs from far and without touching the vehicle.

Cheers CAPITA

RC Racer
    If I was'nt worried about the warranty on my 2.4 I would connect a bright LED to the Tx Locker switch.

OR use the lock module somehow.

RC Competitor
    No, this wouldn't be the same. I think it is about what the real state of the diffs are, independed from the position of the switch.