Thread: Lipos and cold

RC Champion

Lipos and cold

how cold can lipos be run in winter
    thanks
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Qualifier
    I ran mine trucks all last winter ... avg temps here in md in the high 20's ... didn't have any problems. I'm sure if you email Tom at SPC he'll give you his thoughts as well.
    E-Maxx-Dual KD700HOs, 5s
    (Rustler & SLASH too!)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by scotthw
    how cold can lipos be run in winter
    thanks
    Why not ask the place you bought them from?
    It's never too late to play with toys.

RC Enthusiast
    I have been told and abide by the information I got from the boating community: not to use lipos below 70deg F or you will damage them.

I use NIMHs in the snow, don't want to risk ruining my lipos. Possibly, with the lower draw in cars than in boats, you can get away with it... Need more info from manufacturers.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J
    I have been told and abide by the information I got from the boating community: not to use lipos below 70deg F or you will damage them.
    wow, only 70degrees? I've run them around 40 degrees here in Illinois and have had no problems. I don't think I would be able to run much lipo except in the summer if 70 degrees were the case. However, I would like to know from the company what the exact temperature is to not run lipos.
    From my personal use, I probably will not run them once the temperature gets down to freezing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

I use NIMHs in the snow, don't want to risk ruining my lipos. Possibly, with the lower draw in cars than in boats, you can get away with it... Need more info from manufacturers.
    If I only used LiPo packs in temps above 70dF, well let's just say I wouldn't run my RC gear very much. Maybe 2 to 3 months during the summer would be all. I just got in from running my Stampede and it is only 44dF outside right now and that's kind of balmy for this time of year.

RC Enthusiast
    I will see if I can dig up some manufacturer sources for this info. Keep in mind in FE boating, we are dumping 5000mah in under 5 minutes!!

what kind of run times are you guys getting and what mah capacity are you using? I am just now getting my Summit (have a slash) and first winter with cars after a summer of boating/bashing with lipos. Now we have a foot of snow and are not getting above freezing for more than half an hour if lucky.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I will see if I can dig up some manufacturer sources for this info. Keep in mind in FE boating, we are dumping 5000mah in under 5 minutes!!
    That's a 60-Amp average, definitely respectful, but well within the limits of any good 5000mAh pack. 4WD mod touring car competition will do that as well.

RC Champion
    ok all ask max amps then

RC Enthusiast
    any word yet? I can't get anybody to give me hard numbers from the makers

RC Qualifier
    Operating Temperature:

* Charge:
    o 32 to 113 degrees F
    o Let battery cool down to an ambient temperature before charging.
    * Discharge:
    o 32 to 140 degrees F
    o During discharge and handling of batteries, do not exceed 160 degrees F.
    * Battery Life
    o Batteries that lose 20% of their capacity must be removed from service and disposed of properly.
    o Discharge the battery to 3V/Cell, making sure output wires are insulated, then wrap battery in a bag for disposal.

Storage & Transportation:

1. Store battery at room temperature between 40 and 80 degrees F for best results.
    2. Do not expose battery pack to direct sunlight (heat) for extended periods.
    3. When transporting or temporarily storing in a vehicle, temperature range should be greater than 20 degrees F but no more than 150 degrees F.
    4. Storing battery at temperatures greater than 170 degrees F for extended periods of time (more than 2 hours) may cause damage to battery and possible fire.

http://www.rctoys.com/pr/2006/10/20/...mer-batteries/
    50 characters and no BB code for sigs is useless!

RC Enthusiast
    thanks for that, ain't nuttin like data to support/reject hypotheses!

RC Champion
    ok thanks that was helpful

RC Champion
    * Discharge:
    o 32 to 140 degrees F
    so does that mean discharging in an atmosphere that is that temperature, or when the actual battery is that temperature?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dude
    so does that mean discharging in an atmosphere that is that temperature, or when the actual battery is that temperature?
    That would be ambient temp.
    50 characters and no BB code for sigs is useless!

RC Enthusiast
    I would assume it is operating temp of the battery; I don't think ambient temps ever reach 140 deg on earth.

RC Qualifier
    I would assume it is operating temp of the battery; I don't think ambient temps ever reach 140 deg on earth.
    you would be suprised....
    Are you an RC addict?