RC Enthusiast

Aluminum Diff Case and batteries

Does any manufacturer make an Aluminum diff cup for the Summit? Would it help durability when using a brushless set up?If one is or becomes available
    I've been torn between a Summit and E-revo. I dont need to do 60 but 35 to 40 maybe 45 would be nice. I also would prefer to try A123 cell instead of Lipo.
    I know there are benefits with Lipo, but with an infant I would rather not take chances.
    Thanks in advance

RC Qualifier
    As far as the metal parts I am not sure..

I had an e-revo and got bored. Now my Sons and I have 3 Summits!!

They are a blast!

As far as the Lipos are concerned, I was worried about it too. Once you use them and brushless, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!!!

Use your head with the Lipos... Get a good charger, get a lipo sack or fireproof container (I use na ammo box), charge in a non flammable area and get good batteries.

I charge in the middle of my garage floor so no worries. I have yet to have trouble. Most of the videos out there are about people intentionally blowing their batteries up! Yes once they go they are explosive but just use your head and no worries..

I have a Castle MMM/2200kv set up in my Summit with a 2.4g Traxxas 4 channel radio on 18/68 gearing. I run 8000Mah SMC 2S lipos.. I LOVE IT!!!
    Three Summits

RC Racer
    heres the link to the aluminum diff case

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMCD2&P=7

i have both summit and e-revo
    i love the summit and am converting my e-revo to brushless
    if i could only keep 1
    summit wins hands down
    so much more fun
    more speed brushless upgrade like milkman says
    but i keep mine brushed cause i do get it very wet!!
    even with lipos
    Summit, E-Revo, E-Revo Brushless, Merv. Baja 5BSS

RC Enthusiast
    Aren't the E-revo and Summit diff cups different because of the T-lock?
    I dont see myself doing much actaul crawling the driving over things (curbs, steps etc)

RC Racer
    Scratch that link you are right the summit diff is diffrent
    i had just crossed over from an e revo site
    Summit, E-Revo, E-Revo Brushless, Merv. Baja 5BSS

RC Qualifier
    Shimming the diffs real good should make them hold up to brushless power just fine.

I blew the rear spiders out on mine within a month. While rebuilding it, I shimmed all the gears (spiders, ring & pinion) up as tight as I possibly could without them binding severely, and I'm now going on 6 months without another failure.
    You may need to make some of the shims yourself though, as the Traxxas ones all come in only one thickness (0.5mm). I used some clear plastic from one of those hard-to-open packages that many small electronic goods come in (the ones that require scissors or razors to open) to make some shims with. They vary from about 0.2-0.4mm thickness.