RC poster

Converted Summit to E-Revo

(I also posted this in the E-Revo forum) O.K. So what I have done is converted my Summit to a E-Revo, so I can race. I switched from stock Long Rockers to Progressive 2, and I have installed some Proline 40 series Bowties. Now what this has changed of course is my ride height and front and rear track. Now as per parts list for both vehicles the tranny is the same, only difference being this thing has a low gear. Now what I was wanting to know is where I switched from the stock Canyon AT 7.1" X 3.8 tires to the 5.5" X 3.8 Prolines, how does this change my overall drive ratio? And what gear ratio should I run for racing. And for now I am still stock in the motor area, the only difference is instead of having two 550's I have one 575.

RC Enthusiast
    I was thinking of doing the same. Does the Summit run the same springs as the Revo?
    Drive it till it breaks...

RC Qualifier
    Maybe someone else can check my thought process but I would calculated the reduced circumference percentage. 5.5/7.7= .77, so you would need to increase your ratio by 23% to get back to the same top speed you had. I don't know what the stock pinion/spur are b/c I run mod1 gears, but multiply your pinion teeth times 1.23 to get your new pinion.

the summit entire shock is different than the e-revo. The summit has a longer screw barrel on the shock to allow for a higher ride height and the spring itself is also longer. With this being said all one has to do is switch in the revos shorter springs and dial the collar down the barrel.

Keep in mind even though one 775 has more power/torque than the 550's, the dual 550's are still faster.

As far as what pinions, look into the e-revo forum (FAQ sticky) it has a gear calculator in there somewhere.

RC Racer
    Not sure why this was done
    why not buy an E Revo in the first place and save yourself $$$$
    you could probably sell a used summit to fund a new E revo
    and have some loose change
    Summit, E-Revo, E-Revo Brushless, Merv. Baja 5BSS

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tectic
    Not sure why this was done
    why not buy an E Revo in the first place and save yourself $$$$
    you could probably sell a used summit to fund a new E revo
    and have some loose change
    Maybe he still wanted the lockers and two-speed for some occasional crawling?

Also, on the shocks, they are the same. Only the springs (and oil wt.) are different.

As for gearing, mulepic's suggestion sounds within the ballpark.
    FWIW, the 18/68 gearing I run on my Summit with Canyon ATs is almost an exact match to the 18/54 gearing my friend runs on his E-Revo with Talons.
    Stock Summit w/775 motor is 14/68, I'd probably start by trying 14/54.
    Last edited by sfr4x4; 11-24-2009 at 04:57 PM.

RC poster
    sfr4X4 is correct, I wanted the best of both worlds. I am going to go brushless, I just havent got there yet. They r the same vehicle just now my e-revo has lockable diffs...lol.. make it easier to get her back on the track after I over shoot the jumps...lol.. I just wanted to know if anyone had done this yet, and could lead down the path of right gearing.

not trying to start a war but the shocks are different, I have them both, the summit shock grooves go further down the barrel, but like I said all you have to do is spin the dial. And yes I know the "official" traxxas diagram has the same part number, but if you see them side by side you can see they are different.

RC poster
    That does make sence, because when I changed my springs and oil I had to crank my collars way down...

RC poster
    Wow.. I just tested my new setup ( 775, 18P/58S, 40 series Bowties, 5000mah NmHd) And this thing is screaming.... got about 20 min run time and I was on it hard the whole time.... Motor did get real hot, but esc never went thermal.... I can't wait to get this on the track.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir522
    not trying to start a war but the shocks are different, I have them both, the summit shock grooves go further down the barrel, but like I said all you have to do is spin the dial. And yes I know the "official" traxxas diagram has the same part number, but if you see them side by side you can see they are different.
    You said: "The entire shock is different". Ok... So even if the threads don't go the same distance down the barrel (which I did not notice when helping a friend fix his E-Revo shock), obviously they are similar enough that everything about them still works 100% the same (to the point they give you the same part numbers), so not sure why it even matters?

And yes, any spring you replace the stock "double (color)" ones with will be shorter, leading to having to screw the collars down more.

"not trying to start a war" was what I stated but yes you are correct if you wish to nit pick and pluck at individual words then yes the fluid is different, the shock body is different (longer grooves), and the main part, the spring is of an entire different length, but if you wish to say they are the same then you may do so, the same as the fact that the e-revo, summit, erbe, revo 3.3, revo 2.5 have similiar qualities so in your opinion they also are the same? a simple difference of power delivery right? I have two arms, two legs and a swinging johnson therefore you and I are the same right? I even stated "with this being said all you have to do was spin the collar down". Relax and dont sweat the details.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not the one nitpicking and being a hypocrite here lol, you are the one all worked up and now bringing a bunch of irrelevant crap about sexual organs into the thread here.

I'll say it again, the shocks are essentially the same (you say you have both, go take a better look at them). There is nothing different about them that is of any significance other than that they come with different springs and oil (both of which can be interchanged between the two of them).

Have at it man, I'm done here.
    Last edited by sfr4x4; 11-27-2009 at 06:01 PM.

RC poster
    O.k. Guys.... thanks for the help...

RC poster
    Can you ad some pics of it im thinking about to convert my summit also to a E-revo

RC poster

RC Champion
    i have noticed a few traxxas parts that are numbered the same for different vehicles and the only difference is the number of screw threads

RC poster
    All I did was take out my low gear and servo, lowered my ride height, and revo bumpers and wing, revo body mounts, throw some good 1/8 scale rims and tires on it, and Bam!! there ya go A E-revo w/ a 775 motor and the capability to lock ur diffs!!! Now I also went to a P2 setup with my rockers and went down in my shock oil and spring load..... Now soon as I can get a MMM or Rx8 I am set for anything.... I can change back to Full Summit in about 45 mins...
    Last edited by icucmerc; 11-30-2009 at 04:18 PM.

RC poster
    Hi,

This is what i did... just the body and wing. maybe later i buy the MMM

RC poster
    Ow yeah, i almost forgot the HPI rims.
    I can wait to make them dirty

RC Competitor

Smile Same idea, well ...

Hi Guys!
    I have tried the same and Iím only facing one serious problem: The rear diff is broken the third time.
    Here is what I did:
    1. Installing a BL set by KD (850W).
    2. Changing to ProLine Big Joes.
    Here is what it looks like:

Cheers
    CAPITA

RC Qualifier
    That is SWEET!
    END_OF_LINE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by flp3_16
    That is SWEET!
    no that's a summit with an e-revo body and wing lol
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Nice build I'm starting mine soon. I'm curious as to the part numbers of your spur gear and pinion gear ? Are they the same as the revo gears ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPITA
    Hi Guys!
    I have tried the same and Iím only facing one serious problem: The rear diff is broken the third time.
    Here is what I did:
    1. Installing a BL set by KD (850W).
    2. Changing to ProLine Big Joes.
    I wonder if the Summit diffs with the T-Locks can take the same abuse as the stock e-revo diffs. I know the Summit has a decent amount of torque but the application is a little different and the diffs are quite a bit more complex.

RC Qualifier
    for those looking to do this feel free to send me a PM. I have the wing/mount, sway bars, body, and dual 550 w/ motor plate and cover if anyone is interested. The 550's and mount are brand new never used. The other items are used but still in good condition. The sway bars i have to figure out what size screws i need for them. I also have the Erevo stock rear arms if you dont want to use the extended wheelbase ones off the Summit. I had an Erevo and am converting it to a Summit.

RC Qualifier
    I also have the stock pinions for the 550s i just have to figure out which ones they are.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by padrino
    I wonder if the Summit diffs with the T-Locks can take the same abuse as the stock e-revo diffs. I know the Summit has a decent amount of torque but the application is a little different and the diffs are quite a bit more complex.
    The majority of the parts inside the diffs are exactly the same, just the Summit version has the locker assembly added onto the side. They handle the same power no problem (I have the MMM/2200 in my Summit).

Thing to do is shim the diffs tighter. This tightens the gear engagement which helps tremendously with the diff's durability (don't matter Summit or E-Revo).

RC Racer
    That looks great CAPITA!

RC Competitor
    Where did you get your a-arm guards?
    18v B&D summit
    You can NEVER go fast enough

I'd say those guards are homemade
    And very nicely done i might add.
    Been thinking about something like that to add to the tbone arm skids

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried