Thread: dean vs traxxas

RC Competitor

dean vs traxxas

Which plug are the best for high current??? deans or traxxas plug???

RC Champion
    bullets 5.5 mm or bigger. And they are easier to solder big wires to.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Champion
    6.5 mm bullets are very easy to solder but I use traxxas connectors on batteries
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

I like the Traxxas connectors, they work well. I have heard the Traxxas ones have better grip.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Champion
    yeah the deans are hard to pull apart

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas plugs are also much easier to solder.

RC Qualifier
    Both Deans and Traxxas plugs are rated for high current/low resistance. Both work the same.

Its just personal preference to which one you want to use.
    Got LiPo?
    X-Ray XB8R w/Novak HV Pro 5.5

RC poster
    I would go traxxas for the grip factor and no heat shrink

RC Qualifier
    I have used both the traxxas and the deans, I prefer the Deans as they take up less space, and they are just as easy to use as Traxxas.

I dont know why ppl say the deans are hard to pull apart, unless you got greasy fingers they are pretty easy.
    I can actually separate Deans using one hand, with the body on... and I got big hands.
    Got LiPo?

RC Racer
    i actually think the traxxas ones are harder to pull apart, like gasout said i can get my deans apart with one hand with the body on but i need 2 to get the traxxas conn. apart.
    Tekin RS+13.5=FAST

RC Champion
    i like deans because they easy to solder (i always go a cross the solder line on traxxas plugs)
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by scotthw
    i like deans because they easy to solder (i always go a cross the solder line on traxxas plugs)
    yup, no pushing the tabs and expecting the "click", with deans you just solder the wires to the tabs, apply some heat to the shrink wrap, and your ready to go.
    Got LiPo?

I don't understand where people have trouble soldering the Traxxas connector. A proper iron and some soldering skill goes a long way. The only slight issue is anything heavier than 10g wire does tend to be a bit more difficult for that clean look. I am by no means discrediting Deans connector's capability as I used them for years. The nice grip and clean install of the Traxxas plug convinced me to convert. To anyone having trouble "crossing the line" of the Traxxas post, simply use a popsicle stick or similar with your solder clamp/jig and you'll never go over.

RC Champion
    Traxxas are easier to solder & easier to re-use than Deans IMO

Deans are more compact though & if space is tight they are a great solution. You can also make ultra compact series or parallel connectors that you can't with Traxxas

Last edited by PBO; 11-20-2009 at 08:58 PM.

RC Competitor
    I prefer the traxxas connecter.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PBO
    Traxxas are easier to solder & easier to re-use than Deans IMO

Deans are more compact though & if space is tight they are a great solution. You can also make ultra compact series or parallel connectors that you can't with Traxxas

At $3 a set I'm not worried about re-usability, but they do save space, and work great.
    Got LiPo?

RC Champion
    I prefer the Traxxas, they're a whole lot easier to solder and get a grip on to separate when I need to unplug them.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasout

I dont know why ppl say the deans are hard to pull apart, unless you got greasy fingers they are pretty easy.
    I can actually separate Deans using one hand, with the body on... and I got big hands.
    The "fake" ones that ********* was selling were pretty easy to get apart because they had the ribbed sides to grip them with.

The "genuine" (inferior) Deans have almost nothing to grab them with, you're basically forced to pull them apart by the wires.

FWIW, my buddy had a set of deans weld themselves together from too much current (I've found my own pretty hot after a few runs as well, although I was still able to separate them). They seem to be right at their limit with the MMM/2200 and LiPos.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasout
    At $3 a set I'm not worried about re-usability, but they do save space, and work great.
    They cost a lot more than that in Australia, it's worth re-using

RC Champion
    Even at $3 if you can reuse them why wouldn't you? I reused some from an old charging adapter I had and they worked I couldn't tell they had been used before
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Competitor
    i persnally will never use traxxas connectors again, over 20 re-solders in 2 weeks never again! 4 batts and the esc were solderd with deans and it only took an hour, they are stll solid after weeks of runs everyday. as for deans beng hard to pull apart, they slide out like butter! and can be connected/unconnected one handedley easy. traxxas conectors are really hard to pull apart, and are impossble one handed!
    An old friend.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.*****
    i persnally will never use traxxas connectors again, over 20 re-solders in 2 weeks never again! 4 batts and the esc were solderd with deans and it only took an hour, they are stll solid after weeks of runs everyday. as for deans beng hard to pull apart, they slide out like butter! and can be connected/unconnected one handedley easy. traxxas conectors are really hard to pull apart, and are impossble one handed!

If you had to re-solder your traxxas plugs over 20 times, YOU are doing something wrong. If your deans plug slides apart like butter, there must be something wrong with them. maybe the leave spring on the female end is worn out and not properly pressing the male end. And for those that are pulling them apart with one hand. You should not be pulling them by the wire.

RC Qualifier
    If your soldering skills are up to it then either will do the job fine. For me it comes down to how much space you have. On the ERBE I would not hesitate staying with TRX plugs, but on something small like the MERV where the space is at a premium I don't think they would be such a good idea.
    Since your question is about the ERBE I say stay with TRX ones. They can carry just as much current as the Deans. Also be careful if you do go with Deans. Make sure they are genuine ones as there are many knock-offs out there and they can not carry the same amount of current.
    BASH. BREAK. FIX. REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

RC Qualifier
    Yea, only buy connecters, be it traxxas or deans, from reputable dealers... like your LHS.
    Got LiPo?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MR.*****

Like Carguy said right below you, if your solder joints are failing, it's because you didn't do the soldering correctly. It's not a fault of the plug. I've had a couple of my connections fail, and it was MY fault. One of them I accidentally wiggled it while it was cooling, and the other didn't get enough solder.

That being said, I prefer the Traxxas plugs overall. They're much easier to grip, they're not too expensive, they're relatively easy to assemble, and they accommodate 10 gauge wire without too much difficulty. With the Deans plugs, 10 gauge is a nightmare, especially with putting a female plug on a battery pack!

As far as current handling capability goes, I haven't done any formal testing, but I think Traxxas has a slight edge over Deans here. The contacts are the same width and thickness between the two, but the Traxxas plug contacts are longer both overall and in the actual contact area, and the springs are stronger. Both of those will lead to a better connection, especially over time as the contact surfaces get worn from abrasion, dirt, and arcing and the springs start to loosen from use.