RC Qualifier

another silly question froma nitro guy

If I buy this truck or the 2wd slash for my son is it basically "plug & play"... I mean once i have batteries charged can I just plug them in & go??? What batteries would you guys recommend ( decent ones) & will the trx charger charge most batteries.. Keep in mind he is 4 he does not needextreme power, the truck will be on 50% mode for awhile.

thanks again

RC Champion
    It is Plug and Play, but the Stock battery will last only 12-14 minutes. The included charger will most likely charge all the different Nicad and Nimh batteries, but will take a LONG time if your using a higher mAh battery to get more runtime.

If it were for an adult I would recommend Lipo batteries, as they are all that ever gets recommended here,,, I just picked up 3 2S 5000mAh lipos. The NiMh batteries would have been fine, but the cost/runtime ratio is WAY better with Lipos if your buying Dicount packs... A 5000mAh Lipo can be be bought for $20. A 5000mAh NiMh pack is atleast $69.
    Its just that Lipos are finicky and Dangerous...
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Racer
    Yes plug in the battery and go. Lipo battery and charger would be a decent upgrade. Batteries are discussed at nauseum and at times becomes heated. My opinion is to order from ********* and get the ********* brand. Every ********* I have is still performing so I don't buy into the rhetoric that they are unsafe and poorly made. You can get a pair of hardcased 2s lipos for less than 100 bucks priotrity shipped (1 week from China). I feel your pain somewhat in that I too have a son that I have to supply RC items. We do most things in twos also. I have also ordered Maxamps and paid tons for their product. Here's a link to the 4000mah 30c batteries I use.
    Run it like you borrowed it!

RC Champion
    i would go lipo right off the bat. with training mode (50% throttle) and really low gearing, it will be great to learn on.

RC Champion
    my setup:
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...lancer/Charger
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idproduct=6256
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idProduct=9184
    plus 2 lipo bags that reduce damage in case of a fire. it costs (my setup with 2 lipo bags and 3 day shipping)- 120$

my recommendation:
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...lancer/Charger
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...idproduct=6256
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...dProduct=10098
    i cant find the lipo bags, sorry. you may need to either:
    a.) find one online somewhere on buy it
    b.) find a safe, non-flammable place to charge batteries
    c.) live with the risk of injury or damage in case of a lipo fire
    i recommend EMS shipping, otherwise it will take 1-3 weeks to ship.

the black hardcase prevents lots of damage to the batteries, and 2s will definitely get your 5700MM moving pretty fast. 3s is if you want stupid fast (like me ). 2s will be a huge improvement over an old 6 cell.
    for LVC read the manual on your MM, it should tell you how to program it. set it at 2s lipo or at 6.0-6.4 volts (3.0-3.2 volts per cell) DO NOT RUN WITHOUT LVC PROPERLY SET UP.

hope this helps, if you have any questions i will be happy to help
    my post from another thread. its too much work to retype it all

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by brushlessbandit
    my post from another thread. its too much work to retype it all
    None of the Links Work.
    Savage-Modified!, E-Revo VXL, Slash 2wd, Mini-T

RC Qualifier
    Wel i have a Slash i let my son drive(will be 3 in Dec.) and he has no problems with running it with 100% power. I kept him on 50% mode for about a month and then when he was driving i would show him things i would do and teach him how to do it. Now we go for long walks and he takes his "big blue truck" with us. I got him a VXL system and a couple lipos for it so i can have fun too. Now i gotta wait for his bday to put the VXL on.

RC Competitor
    I'm a nitro guy too, having rc10gt's, tmaxx 3.3, jato 3.3, and ofna 1/8 buggies. Bought a used slash to race in this winters stock slash class but couldn't hardly stand how doggy it was even on 7 cell nimh power. Granted it was a used truck so motor could have been shot but still...whew. So here comes round 2. If I'm familiar with the above nitro vehicles what should I expect from this brushless 4x4 slash? wow or not? I'd likely purchase 2S lipo for it with maybe a single 3S pack for showing off. I predict our local track to have a class for these things this winter since they are the new thing. I do still have 1 electric, an RC18T with mamba 5400 on 2S power. Now that thing is a little fun to drive, darting all over the place.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm also a nitro guy but have been getting into electrics because the new brushless systems are so powerful and decent lipo batteries are so cheap. I have a Revo 3.3, tmaxx 3.3, rustler 2.5 and 1/16 revo vxl. So I agree, with the brushed slash is a pooch. I put a vxl system in it with a 2S lipo and the difference is night and day. You will not be disappointed with the 4X4 slash. I believe you will say wow even on 2S.

RC Racer
    Its just that Lipos are finicky and Dangerous...
    Lipos are not really finicky and danergous. In my opinion, they are easier to use than Ni-MH. Just make sure you store them at 50%, then when you're ready to run your truck, charge them up and you're ready to go! Ni-MH batteries can be finicky, because some have to be re-peaked every week or so to keep the charge up. This has been my experience. For me, lipos have been much easier to use than Ni-MH.
    As far as being dangerous, just use a good quality lipo charger and charge your batteries in a Lipo sack, follow the instructions and you'll be set The dangerous label is used sometimes because lipos are volatile and can explode or catch fire if they are used incorrectly. But as long as you respect them and use them properly, it's highly unlikely that you'll have a problem.
    GIV'ER

RC Competitor
    If your son is going to do the charging himself and you're at all concerned, get some NiMh batteries to start and a good, Lipo-compatible charger so you can upgrade later when he's ready. I use Integy 7-cell 3600mAh batteries with Intellect cells, and on my VXL 2WD slash it's plenty fast. Once he's ready for more power and the couple extra steps involved with Lipos, then go for it, and you'll already have the charger.
    RoboPede: http://snowtiresrobot.blogspot.com/