Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    123

    Pros of the Slash 2WD compared to the 4x4 (or 4x4 Issues/Cons in other words)

    If you get a clear look, you can notice that the platform used has no bumpy forms, in other words, the plastic has no messes here and there, it's a simple, completely flat surface and the motor is outside the car. (Dirt/little debris) might get caught in the mosaics of the body in the 4x4 body. Though probably that those mosaics of the body add more rigidity to the body.

    Now look at the battery placement, in the 2WD it is perfectly in the middle of the car, so the weight is properly balanced in my opinion, now the 4x4 has the battery compartment at one side of the body, weight issues? (depending on the weight of the battery used, lets say a NiMh 8000 mAh that weights much more than the stock traxxas battery for instance.)

    All this is in my opinion, thoughts I wanted to share.

    Last edited by kook-look; 11-04-2009 at 04:03 PM.
    E-Revo 1/16 VXL BL
    Slash 1/16 VXL BL

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    123
    E-Revo 1/16 VXL BL
    Slash 1/16 VXL BL

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Arlington TX
    Posts
    402
    The battery being to one side is compensated for by the radio, speedo, motor, and steering servo. It may not be "perfectly" balanced, but it is close. If you're looking to balance it further you could add weights....?
    2 Slash 4x4's, B/L Rusty, and a Crawler

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    123
    Anyone knows the full weight of the Slash 4x4 including the stock battery?
    If I recall, the Slash 2WD weights about 3 to 3.5 Kg (~7 lbs) right?
    E-Revo 1/16 VXL BL
    Slash 1/16 VXL BL

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    175
    The weight of the 2WD Slash is 2.15 Kgs. The 4x4 Slash is 2.5kgs as stated in the RC Car Action Magazine if I remember correctly. I don't know were the 3.5Kg comes from. The ROAR spec weight is 2.098 Kg which includes battery. The fact that the battery is not center is not an issue at all when you see that the compensated weight of the motor, ESC, and steering servo. In fact the 2WD slash is not as balanced since the steerint servo is heavier than the receiver.

    The location of the battery tray in the 4x4 Slash is very good when you compare it to other 8th scale buggys. The center shaft allows the battery to be very close to the roll center which minimizes the weight effects. Weight effects increase at a rate of the square of the distance.

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    123
    Anyway, how do you guys clean it?

    Here is what I do: I use a hose (high pressure) or I use my bath (I have a hose as well in it). Sometimes use hot water, works better, then I dry my two cars with high air flow fan for 30 minutes or more, I flip them over and dry them again (rotate)
    E-Revo 1/16 VXL BL
    Slash 1/16 VXL BL

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,226
    proline and one of the other comanies make a dirt shield for the slash, i'm sure a versoin for the 4x4 will be out soon after. Cleaning is simple usually anyway... spray simple green/rinse/air compressor/wd40 done
    I love you MAN! Need a hug?

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    123
    Yeah I use air cans and wd40 as well after the dry time

    nice to know about the shield, is it popular?

    and is there a way we could know the name of that shield? or/and pictures, thanks
    Last edited by kook-look; 11-04-2009 at 07:20 PM.
    E-Revo 1/16 VXL BL
    Slash 1/16 VXL BL

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,620
    Its funny, i have let some of the people that complain about certain kits not being balanced by grams....and I let them run one of my race vehicles, and they love it. They think its perfectly balanced, then I show em, its waaay off in reality. But you cant actually tell this when you drive em, its very difficult to. For 95% of the people that buy em, they wont tell if its balanced or not. If its not national level racing, i just get it close and run with that...and I am pretty successful at it.

  10. #10
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    123
    And about the 1/16 you got two compartments (left/right) well, both sides... In my case I have 2 batteries in each car (E-Revo/Slash) both 1/16, and use them in parallel so I use both compartements at same time so it's "even". But normally it comes with only 1 battery per car, which side should it be placed for better balancing? (side of the motor or other one)?
    E-Revo 1/16 VXL BL
    Slash 1/16 VXL BL

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    899
    put the single batter for the merv under the receiver box.

    i don't have a slash, nor do i have any friends with them, so i can't speak from much experience here but looking at the area where the bulks attach to the chassis looks very weak and unreinforced. am i right here seeing only 2 screws from the topside ? even if there's a few more on the bottom this looks like a huge weak spot to me.

    i'm a basher at heart so i look for things like this and this is quite glaring to me.

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Caro, MI
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Core
    put the single batter for the merv under the receiver box.

    i don't have a slash, nor do i have any friends with them, so i can't speak from much experience here but looking at the area where the bulks attach to the chassis looks very weak and unreinforced. am i right here seeing only 2 screws from the topside ? even if there's a few more on the bottom this looks like a huge weak spot to me.

    i'm a basher at heart so i look for things like this and this is quite glaring to me.
    the original Stampede/Rusty/Slash/Bandit uses the same attachment. And although it looks like a huge weakspot it somehow holds up well. in 13 years of stampede ownership i have broken exactly 1 chassis.
    What?

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    899
    you can see the original slash chassis extends above the entire bulkhead with a little additional reinforcement ribbing where as the new one meets it on the top/side. at the VERY least i'd expect a metal tie/insert/brace/plate for those two screws to go through to keep them from pulling through the chassis on a hard impact.

    this concern is from only looking at the top chassis pics, maybe the under carriage reinforcement makes this a moot point, but i still look at this and go meh. plus i think i've seen it stated that bulk removal is quick and easy only having to remove 4 or 5 screws, another thing that makes me go meh. i'm not saying it needs to be overly complicated but these trucks are starting to look like traxxas has partnered with fisher-price.

  14. #14
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anacortes, WA
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Core
    you can see the original slash chassis extends above the entire bulkhead with a little additional reinforcement ribbing where as the new one meets it on the top/side. at the VERY least i'd expect a metal tie/insert/brace/plate for those two screws to go through to keep them from pulling through the chassis on a hard impact.

    this concern is from only looking at the top chassis pics, maybe the under carriage reinforcement makes this a moot point, but i still look at this and go meh. plus i think i've seen it stated that bulk removal is quick and easy only having to remove 4 or 5 screws, another thing that makes me go meh. i'm not saying it needs to be overly complicated but these trucks are starting to look like traxxas has partnered with fisher-price.
    here is a good still from one of the videos showing the front support at an angle....



    i agree that it looks like a weak point and would not be surprised if those were the first major problems people have with these. i'm sure i could live with undoing 2 or 3 more screws in exchange for not snapping my chassis in hard crashes. however, the thing isn't out yet so it's simply a theory and i'm incredibly excited to get one :P

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    487
    I’m sure if there were any major problems with the strength of the Slash 4x4 Traxxas would have addressed the problem already.
    -----The iceage is over, embrace the voltage.-----

  16. #16
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally Posted by 444Platrevo
    Iím sure if there were any major problems with the strength of the Slash 4x4 Traxxas would have addressed the problem already.
    Ah...Ah...AH...Velineon LVC

    sorry, i have a cold

  17. #17
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    169
    the reason the chassis is "ribbed" like that is because they made the car able to handle 6s mambamonster
    HCM racing class 5 class 10
    TRAXXAS SLASH 2WD

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    946
    i like both of them, although ive never had one..but like core said, i just think that chassis supports look kind of skimpy. i would like more than 4 screws holding the front and back end together
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

  19. #19
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    3,996
    Quote Originally Posted by zrau17
    i like both of them, although ive never had one..but like core said, i just think that chassis supports look kind of skimpy. i would like more than 4 screws holding the front and back end together
    It's might be wimpy looking from the pic but how thick is the plastic? Plus if you're running a MMM2200 and smash into a wall...that wimpy looking setup be the least of my worries .
    Powered by Tekin. Go Tekin or go home.

  20. #20
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Aperture Laboratories
    Posts
    2,450
    yes but once you break everything because few supports the fewer # of supports will allow it to be easier to replace the parts you just broke. j/k i am sure traxxas figured everything out and fixed any problems

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •