Thread: good for my son

RC Qualifier

good for my son

just wondering if this truck would be agood starter truck for my son ( 4years old) if not what do you recommend..........

RC Qualifier
    Brushless could be a bit much.... I'd give him a 2 wheel drive slash...
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXUVY4**&P=ML

It's also easier on the wallet.....
    On the other hand you could get the B/L version, and you could do a lot of "test driving it" FOR him.....
    2 Slash 4x4's, B/L Rusty, and a Crawler

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianrevo
    just wondering if this truck would be agood starter truck for my son ( 4years old) if not what do you recommend..........
    Yes and No...

Good imo because it's brushless no motor to rebuild or brushes to replace.
    Farily easy to work on... 4x4 so versitile... Traxxas can't go wrong there!
    With the VXL system until he gets used to it you can program the ESC for training mode so only 50% power-and when he's ready or you want to play with it... Which you will : ) Can change it to full race to sport mode.

No imo because 4x4 = more parts to break, a little harder to work on.
    Maybe a little bit more costly.

So as you see good out weighs bad!

Other options to think about would be a Rustler VXL or Stampede VXL...
    Easy to work on, 2wd still brushless and still 3 driving modes.

I have a rustler VXL my self and I love it!! i run it pretty hard and it just keeps taking it! The only parts I've had to replace so far waas the rear arms and bearing carriers, replaced with RPM parts much stronger and upgraded to traxxas Big Bore shocks. They only broke because of a high speed hit with a truck tire. The tahoe won the match. lol

I love this truck... But I too am looking at getting the 4x4 Slash and want to turn it into a scale monster truck! But still keep the Rusty. Won't ever get rid of that truck!

Hope this helps... Good Luck!

RC Qualifier
    I keep forgetting about the profiles on the ESC.... With that in mind, I agree the 4X4 version is a hands down choice for you and your son.

Mr. Extreme... I too have a rustler, convereted to brushless, and I love it. Never getting rid of it. I can't wait for my new slash 4X4 to get here. I'm gonna upgrade my rustler even more after the new year.... it never ends.
    2 Slash 4x4's, B/L Rusty, and a Crawler

RC Champion
    YES YES YES YES YES YES My , just turned 3 year old, is getting one for christmas. Just put it in training mode and drop teeth on the pinion. My son already has a Erevo vxl and drives my slash and erbe as well.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC poster
    Yeah, my son is 4 years old and I let him drive the 2wd slash with the brushed motor. It's a good price, it's durable. On training mode I don't think he'll break a thing as long as you're not running it in an open area and not against curbs...etc.

RC Champion
    id definately choose 4x4 slash, id say its just as easy to work on as 2wd.
    put it on training mode for him.
    4wd would also be easier to drive and i dont think he willl break anythig in training mode anyway.
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Racer
    Or look at the new offer on the Slash 2WD, they give you a Traxxas Battery of 3000 mAh, a TQ Radio and an EZ-Set Fast Traxxas Charger for $250
    E-Revo 1/16 VXL BL
    Slash 1/16 VXL BL

RC Qualifier
    i'd vote for getting him either the 1/16 slash or 1/16 revo. out of the two, i'd lean towards the 1/16 revo, it's a little wider and is a bit more forgiving than the slash.

RC Racer
    But the 1/10 are tougher, and have higher ground clearance so practically, go for the 1/10 they should be more robust overall and can go off road easily. I have both trucks on 1/16 and they can be fragile if going at max speed.
    I would go for 2WD Slash (Combo Deal with Battery and Charger)
    E-Revo 1/16 VXL BL
    Slash 1/16 VXL BL

RC Champion
    as in tower hobbies combo? if so, they usually include crap accessories

RC Qualifier
    The Slash 4x4 would be something to enjoy for many years to come!
    Pede_4X4Pede_Rusty_1/10SlashVXL_1/16SummitVXL

RC Champion
    Yes - And as he gets better you can upgrade batteries to lipo's & change driving profiles to be faster or race ready when/if he gets into more into it than just bashing (or you do).

I say these trucks will be 100x easier to work on than any of the other traxxas 1/10's as they don't have a transmission to blow AND the diffs cases are designed like 1/8 diffs cases in the way you can easily get to them for repair and maintenance.

Brushed motors need to be replaced all too often so again another huge plus and it comes stock w/ 2.4ghz so you don't need to worry about interference.

BUY IT and ENJOY IT

PS stay away from 1/16 stuff, they are not much fun bashing on grass and around the house.. just not enough clearance. They are pretty durable to be honest, but just not as much fun as a 1/10 would be really anywhere except a basement
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 11-06-2009 at 07:07 AM.
    I love you MAN! Need a hug?

RC Qualifier
    What would he need for batteries in the 4x4 slash( I am a nitro guy) sorry for the newb question..........

RC Champion
    for a 4 year old start with the stock battery..... buy extras if they work well. get another 7 cell battery if you like the speed range, 6 cell to go slower. if you need to get even slower, gear down or training mode.

RC Enthusiast
    I think this would be a great truck for a little one. Brushless can take the beating better than a brushed motor. You can put it in training mode and then once he's ready for more speed you don't have to spend any extra money. He won't get bored since it will have the speed he will eventually want. and 4wd is a lot easier to drive well than 2wd.

This would be a great choice. This or an E-Maxx that is.

RC Qualifier
    What would he need for batteries in the 4x4 slash( I am a nitro guy) sorry for the newb question..........
    The only thing I think you would need is a better charger the wall charger it comes with I'm sure is not that quick to charge. If you already have a charger then it should come with everything you need.