RC Champion

Thinking about adding a Summit to the fleet...

Hey guys... I'm thinking about getting a Summit. I've always thought they were seriously cool from day one, but never really felt the need to "crawl". Generally I'm all about about speed and power. But after a while, that gets boring too. I was thinking the Summit would be great for winter time. It gets really cold here, and typically I don't drive in the winter because cold = snapped parts! I'm sure the Summit is no exception. But the idea behind the Summit is really more about slow and torquey, and I've learned to drive SLOW when it's cold.

I have a soon to be converted to brushless LST2, but those things have too much open access to the insides and wouldn't do well in snow. I will have a Neu 1515 2.5d in that, with the MMMV3. But I could also use that same motor and ESC in my Emaxx or even a Summit if I wanted. But it's really not "waterproof". With as much as my motors and ESC cost... I'd rather not risk it. So, something for sure waterproof and brushed would be great I think. My ERevo BL, with the same motor and ESC will do much better in the snow because the ERevo body protects the inside VERY well. But I'm still not really willing to risk it.

Now, my Emaxx is pure badness. It's loaded with UE and GArc parts, all except the chassis (stock), and has the EVX-2 ESC and stock motors. It was my first "real truck" and that is why I have kept it. However, I don't drive it EVER cuz it's so slow and thought about either selling it, or converting it to brushless. But, I could drive that in the winter instead and be done with it. Since it's alum it's less likely to break. I'd probably rather keep it stock, but get some Lipos in parallel for run time. I have 14mm Mulcher tires on it and steel CVD's. So, do I really need a Summit with that vehicle? I don't know! That's why I'm asking!

The cool things about the Summit are the locking diff's, the looks of it, the lights, and bigger tires. Tires are another concern too. I have tons of awesome 23mm tires, and extra hubs to put on the Emaxx if I wanted... but I don't want to run the risk of smoking those motors. But a plus on the Summit is that since I have a nitro and a Brushless Revo, I have lots of extra parts on hand in case something breaks.

I was wondering though... do I have to have the Traxxas radio to operate the Summit? I have a Spektrum DX2.0 with about four receivers, and one DX3S with no extra receivers. The receiver I have now is in my Nitro Losi XXL, which will be down for the winter anyway. So, I could use that one maybe in the Summit!? But if I buy a "new" Summit, I'll get a radio. I just like not having to use a diff radio for each truck. I have like 12 trucks, and that's a lot of radios to keep batteries in. So, I use my Spektrums. I'm sure that either Spektrum could be set up to run the Summit's drivetrain, I'm just not sure what needs done to allow that to happen?

I already know that If I get a new Summit, I'm going to need to to shim the diff's, and maybe replace some bearings. I THINK the Summit uses the same bulkheads as the ERevo right? If so... or even if not, I might be able to mod the bulks to accept 1/8 diff's (which I prefer), and buy some RC Monster output cups. But that may not be necc if you shim the diff's.

I just have so many trucks right now, that I'm wondering if I should just use the EMaxx, which has the waterproof EVX-2 and 2075 servos, and is almost all 7075 aluminum, or if I'd get a totally different experience out of the Summit that I would enjoy? I've never been into the idea of "crawling", but in the winter/fall in my area, there is a huge woods behind my house, a shallow creek, dirt, etc... it could be Summit heaven back there!

So... talk me into it.. or out of it... whichever! Just help me figure it out please!

Thanks!
    Jason
    ERBE, E-Slayvo Pro, Ext Stampy, 2xMERV's.

RC Racer

Get a SUMMIT
    Slower Traffic Keep Right.........

RC poster
    Hello from Norway

Iwe bought a summit for 4days ago and this is the best rc i have had ever.
    My axial ax-10 crawler is now for sale.
    My Lazer zx5 brushles also.
    I have only been using it for a few battery packs but it is just to order

RC Racer
    The Summit is really "all in one" package especially when going brushless in it.
    (sensored) ie it can easily be adjusted to 30-35 mph.
    (switch out tires and suspension)
    The Summit will offer you the low speed range the emaxx doesn't provide.
    If I had to choose just one truck then I'd pick the Summit for it's versatility, it's an allrounder. Now you have several trucks so you have to consider the need for going slow on tracks/hiking or climbing.
    About radios, I've read about someone using a 3ch succesfully.
    This has to be wired to the 3rd channel: diff. locks engaged while in low gear.
    The use of a 4ch radio is really not needed IMO

RC Qualifier
    You should check out "My Super Summit" I have created, using all
    of the Kershaw Design Mods and extras. I can't wait for the SNOW to fly.
    I will have a great time Crashing/Bashing anywhere I go now.

JMHO,

Dave
    Traxxas T-Maxx ABMOD 33
    Traxxas Dual 700HO Summit

RC Qualifier
    LOL, Dont think any more! GET ONE.... I could not imagine having anything else!

That is why I ordered a third one for our fleet at the house yesterday! I have two sons, 4 and 5. They were supposed to share the one but that is slowly not working out. My 4 year old is always bullied by the 5 year old. I told them yesterday that Ty, my 4 year old, is possibly going to get a Summit now since there is a struggle... they both were doing cart wheels..!!!!

I have a lot of spare parts around and will soon need to get more!!
    Three Summits

RC Qualifier
    I've had my summit for 4 months,I've only broken the front sus arm! They do about 22 Mph,climb most things,and are flexible enough to absorb most impacts.At home at the skate park and the park,forests,and quarry,Mine endured a 40 feet drop,and it only suffered tears in the tyres,Its worth carrying an extra TX

RC Champion
    Should have a Summit in about two weeks! Rawk!

RC Racer
    you can use your spektrum dx3s for all of your cars as long as they have a spectrum receiver.
    Tekin RS+13.5=FAST

RC Champion
    Yeah, that's the kicker... I have 10,000 radios and receivers laying around. I use my DX2.0 for everything and only have one receiver for my DX3S, and it's in my Losi XXL. But for WINTER, that truck will be spit shined and shelved inside. So I can use that remote and rec in the Summit. I was thinking of selling my DX2.0 and all three or four of my receivers, just so I can buy three or for receivers to use with my Dx3s. I love that radio, but receivers are a lot of money! My DX2.0 has been ROCK SOLID too. Can't complain about that one bit either.

Yes, get one, you won't regreat it!!! I bought the yellow one and after 9 months I built another one from scratch... I really love this truck!!!
    He who dies with the most toys wins !!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rccar306109
    you can use your spektrum dx3s for all of your cars as long as they have a spectrum receiver.
    How is this possible?? I have the Spektrum radio also and I would LOVE to use it with my Summit. How do you activate the diff locks (and T lock) on the DX3S??

Thanks

RC Champion
    Cool, finally got my Summit! It's a cool truck!!!! I was told that running the 775 w/ a 19T pinion and a 68T Spur was great for the Emaxx, but it's not recommended for the Summit. Is 19T too much? I'll be running 2s lipos soon.

I was also disspointed that the manual gave no real reference for how to use T-Lock for different applications. I've never rock crawled before, so I don't know how/when/why to use the different T-Lock settings.

And if anyone knows how to set the Summit up to run with the DX3S, that would rule. I'm fine using the Traxxas remote, but it would be nice to have all my trucks on the same radio.

RC Qualifier
    "I was also disspointed that the manual gave no real reference for how to use T-Lock for different applications."

According to the manual that came with my SUMMIT on page 14 it shows
    you exactly how to use the T-Lock switch for locking and unlocking the differential.
    Traxxas T-Maxx ABMOD 33
    Traxxas Dual 700HO Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty350LT1
    "I was also disspointed that the manual gave no real reference for how to use T-Lock for different applications."

According to the manual that came with my SUMMIT on page 14 it shows
    you exactly how to use the T-Lock switch for locking and unlocking the differential.
    He's asking WHEN to use it, not HOW to use it...

When you're crawling on uneven terrain (big rocks, ruts, etc) and you find the truck loses traction under two tires (usually diagonally opposite tires), this is when you throw the lockers on to stop that kind of tire spinning. Keep the lockers on until you get to smoother terrain where traction is more equal under all 4 tires.

Locked axles greatly widens the steering radius though, so only use them when you need them. Also, don't use the lockers at high speed, as you'll be more likely to break axle shafts that way (plus it worsens the handling). The lockers are primarily intended for low speed use.

Hope that helps

RC Champion
    SFR4x4... thanks. That's what I was looling for basically. So, depending on what you're seeing will depend on when to lock the front or front and rear right? So, locking the front will cause the front wheels to turn at the same time... which means you'll still have one of two wheels in the rear spinning. And then if you lock the rears too, basically all four wheels will give equal traction. Is that right?

So, what do you want to do if you're crawling UP something? Lock the fronts first, then the rear, or only the fronts, or neither? I've tried to crawl up the carpeted stairs in my house, but I think they are too tall. The truck ends up flipping backwards on to it's lid!

I have found that for certain things that are hard to get on top of, going slowly works against you. I've found that if I come at it at an angle, and with a little bit of a goose, I can get on it easier than if I went straight at it slowly.

I'm sorta surprised at how SOFT these tires are. I'm not upset with the seller, but these tires have a lot of small rips and punctures in the rubber. HOW that can happen is beyond me!?

I'm running the Summit with some really rotten 3300mah batteries that are on their last legs, and I can tell it's going to be great. I'm surprised that people complain it's so slow. Sure, it's no ERBE, but it clips along pretty good for what it is. When I get my lipos, it should rock! The lights are wicked cool!

The only problem that I have noticed with mine, is that the low/high servo sorta sticks. When I engage it up or down, the servo moves but the pin inside the tranny won't really move w/ the servo. It's like it's getting resistance or something. Sometimes it'll stay in Low when I have it in high, then suddenly pop into high randomly. Not really sure how to troubleshoot that. I've reset the servo horn, but that didn't really fix it.

Thanks!
    J

Quote Originally Posted by jpoprock
    SFR4x4... thanks. That's what I was looling for basically. So, depending on what you're seeing will depend on when to lock the front or front and rear right? So, locking the front will cause the front wheels to turn at the same time... which means you'll still have one of two wheels in the rear spinning. And then if you lock the rears too, basically all four wheels will give equal traction. Is that right?

So, what do you want to do if you're crawling UP something? Lock the fronts first, then the rear, or only the fronts, or neither? I've tried to crawl up the carpeted stairs in my house, but I think they are too tall. The truck ends up flipping backwards on to it's lid!

I have found that for certain things that are hard to get on top of, going slowly works against you. I've found that if I come at it at an angle, and with a little bit of a goose, I can get on it easier than if I went straight at it slowly.

I'm sorta surprised at how SOFT these tires are. I'm not upset with the seller, but these tires have a lot of small rips and punctures in the rubber. HOW that can happen is beyond me!?

I'm running the Summit with some really rotten 3300mah batteries that are on their last legs, and I can tell it's going to be great. I'm surprised that people complain it's so slow. Sure, it's no ERBE, but it clips along pretty good for what it is. When I get my lipos, it should rock! The lights are wicked cool!

The only problem that I have noticed with mine, is that the low/high servo sorta sticks. When I engage it up or down, the servo moves but the pin inside the tranny won't really move w/ the servo. It's like it's getting resistance or something. Sometimes it'll stay in Low when I have it in high, then suddenly pop into high randomly. Not really sure how to troubleshoot that. I've reset the servo horn, but that didn't really fix it.

Thanks!
    J
    There is a thread titled sticky shift pin that's the fix i used works good now pretty easy
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Another simple solution to stop that is go to a full stop, switch it into the preferred gear, wait about a second and it should slip right in.
    Sometimes you may have to run the truck for about a foot, but most likely it will kick right in.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Racer
    [QUOTE=how to set the Summit up to run with the DX3S, that would rule ...[/QUOTE]

I would love to hear if you work this one out. I'm getting a Summit soon and I would love to use my DX3S radio with it.

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    I rarely use the middle (front locked only) position on mine, usually if I find I need more traction, down that switch goes all the way.

Locking the front only is supposed to maintain a bit better steering ability than if both are locked, but the traction gains are not all that great compared to locking them both (most of the truck's weight tends to end up on the rear when you're crawling up something).
    Stairs have always been a tough thing to crawl up because the bottom of the chassis wants to drag on the edge of the step.
    In a more "natural" environment (dirt, rocks) it normally will do much better.

As for the Canyon AT tires, they are pretty soft no doubt (along with being pretty thin too) so depending on how it's used, it's not all that hard to damage them. I've found that bicycle tire patches (must be the type that use the little tube of vulcanizing cement) work well to repair larger tears.
    I've had fairly good luck with the Canyons on mine. There are a number of small tears/cuts in the sidewalls (<"), but nothing that would affect their traction or operation. Bad landings from jumping seems to tear them up more than anything.
    You can't beat their ability to stick like glue on rocks though. From everything I've read, no tire out there seems to grip as well (at least in it's size category anyway). For this reason I haven't swapped to Moab XLs or another tire because I do a fair amount of crawling, and want to retain as much of that ability as I can.

RC Qualifier
    I say JUST DO IT ALREADY!!! Ones waiting for you to mod it at your LHS! : )

But you did mention crawling a couple times.

If by crawling you mean rocks logs etc.... Or anything a comp crawler would be for. The Summit isn't the truck to get. It's more rock racer then crawler.

But would kick but in the snow etc...

If you want to "crawl" Mod a clodbuster... Or just get a Rock Force one.

I have a near all aluminum modded clod I use in the winter and for crawling. It gets the job done! It's running 55T motors, locked diffs, 4 wheel steering on a TQ3, Novak Super Rooster, 8 cells, Jumbo Swamp Kongs and sometimes stock clod wheels and tires, all metal gear servos, etc...

Not really to fast but it does what it's built for well.
    Slash 4X4 PLATINUM EDITION, Revo 3.3 Crawler