Thread: 7-cell vs 2s

RC Racer

7-cell vs 2s

Hi, quick question. If geared exactly the same what would be faster, a 2S Lipo or a quality 7-cell pack like the promatch ones? I know the 7-cells have higher voltage at 8.4v, but I think the Lipos may still have more punch. i already have some 7-cells, they may have to work for a bit!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    IMO, the 7 cells will have more power in the first couple of minutes, but the nimh cells what go down in voltage, while the lipos keep their voltage better. And the lipos are lighter..so..
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Champion
    A Nimh pack would be faster for about the first 30 Seconds or so until the voltage dropped. Then the Lipo would begin to shine. Lighter weight and more punch.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Champion
    close to a tie. lipo is lighter and puncier tho

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On my E-Maxx I had two 7-cell 4200mAh Duratrax packs and it was pretty good. One day, I switched to two 2S LiPo packs and it was great! I could really notice the difference in speed and duration. LiPos all the way!
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Champion
    the nimh might win at top speed, for the first pass onroad, then it's all Lipo.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by murph12
    Hi, quick question. If geared exactly the same what would be faster, a 2S Lipo or a quality 7-cell pack like the promatch ones? I know the 7-cells have higher voltage at 8.4v, but I think the Lipos may still have more punch. i already have some 7-cells, they may have to work for a bit!

First it all depends on gearing..
    If the truck is geared for lower speeds, then the 7cell would edge out some..
    but if geared for speed the lipo will slam the nimh pack hands down!
    so it really depends on gearing in this truck of what will be the faster pack

RC Racer
    Im glad someone brought this up for discussion. I have been thinking about this a lot myself. I was leaning towards the 2s lipos because they will fit in the slash 4x4 and I can also use them in my rustler, however I cant use a 7 cell in my rustler (at my track). It sounds like the lipos are the way to go. I may get some 7 cell nimh packs for practice and heats since they are so much cheaper and get a decent lipo to set aside for my race pack.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by top_fuel_jato
    Im glad someone brought this up for discussion. I have been thinking about this a lot myself. I was leaning towards the 2s lipos because they will fit in the slash 4x4 and I can also use them in my rustler, however I cant use a 7 cell in my rustler (at my track). It sounds like the lipos are the way to go. I may get some 7 cell nimh packs for practice and heats since they are so much cheaper and get a decent lipo to set aside for my race pack.
    lipos are actually cheaper. check out *********.com

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you can get 30C 5000mah lipo packs for only 35 bucks now days!

RC Racer
    I think that if you have brushless, then 2S is the better alternative than 7 cell. If brusched then I am not convinced that 2S is better.
    However, handling wise it will be heavier with 7 cell that 2S but I think the Slash handles better with a little more weight. The 4x4 might not be suffering from this as much as the rwd Slash
    Powerhouse Sweden
    Villain IV with Octura 447