RC Racer

best gearing 2S Novak 17.5 brushless?

I am gearing up for the ROAR Spec stock class at our local track. Longest straight is over 100 feet and fairly moderate. My first brushless experience was with the Mini Slash so I'm not sure what I will do. I baught a 19T pinion but am concerned that I should move up to a larger on. What has worked for you?

RC Racer
    I am also interested in how everyone mounted thier components. I am working on modifications to the chassis maybe.

RC Racer
    I found a thread that states that I should use 76/28 gearing. That is very close to the suggestion from Novak for final drive of 7.5 for a 10th scale truck with the 17.5. I guess I need to buy different gear for sure. I have a 28T in my mini. I see that a 86/31 looks good too. I am going to start with 86/31 and go from there.

RC Champion
    Novak does state that is the proper gearing for that motor in a 2wd truck, however that is most likely meant for a stadium truck, whick is alot lighter than the Slash, and that gearing may be a bit tall.. causing excess heat in a truck this heavy. I think its best if you start maybe a bit lower like say, 25/76 and use a temp gauge to tell you if you can go up or if you need to go down.. having gearing that tall not only increases heat, but if you arent getting to full trigger and topping out the speed on the longest straight, by 3/4 of the way down, you have too much gear anyway... no since in gearing it for speeds you aren't going to hit. so like I said.. maybe try a bit lower of a starting point, see how the temps are WITH A GAUGE, not your finger... and see how much gearing you really need to achieve top speed at around 75 feet on a surface like that of the track... there is no magic number that is THE right gearing for you.. tires, surface and even battery weight will all have something to do with what YOUR proper gearing is.

Keep in mind that NOvak doesnt want your temps higher than 165-170 after your run.. so time it for five minutes a run when you are checking temps.
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Racer
    I appreciate your comments and will try a different gearing. I can start with 86/26 which is higher yet. I have these gears already. I will see if my LHS has 76 and 25 gears. Otherwise I could use 83/26 if they have an 83T spur.

Can the Novak SS Pro 17.5 be coverted to a 13.5 by changing out internals? I think it's the Ballistic that can do this and not the SS Pro Velociti.

I need a temp gauge

RC Racer
    OK. My LHS had 76/25 and I got a temp gauge. I will be racing today and will post some feedback. Today I will be on carpet with shorter straights so I may drop down to 76/24.

RC Racer
    I love Brushless!!! The set-up was really easy. and I had a blast driving my Slash with the Novak 17.5 system. I started with the 25/76 as suggested. My original post stated that my track is about 100' straight on dirt. I raced today at Rider's Hobby indoor carpet Super Speedway which has a 40' x 60' space and the gearing was a little tall. My first run I measured 166F after about 6-10 minutes. This was still within the Novak design but I could smell the motor more than I wanted too. This could be cause it was the first run too. The ESC was around 90-95 so I wasn't worried about that. I swapped our the 25 for a 23T since I was not hitting top end on the short track and hoped for more punch our of the corners. It worked great. Temps went down to about 120F during the heats. The Dirt track starts build on Monday and I now know how to tune these fantastic motors!

Now if I can keep my Slash together I would be OK. I have broken the front hubs more than I care to mention. In the A Main in Open SCT today I came back from Last up to 3rd until the last minute when I hit the big jump and came down too close to the hard barrier and broke...again. Most of the top 4 trucks had a 13.5 brushless so I was happy that the 17.5 was hanging well. It was great to be racing with the Strike, SC10, Blitz as the only Slash!!! Driver still makes the biggest difference. Strike won, SC10 second, Blitz third.

Thanks for the help DrFizz2k1
    Last edited by Stockslasher; 11-01-2009 at 05:02 PM.