RC Qualifier

Heeere Slashee, Slashee, Slashee

I have something for you...
    This is what i would call the horse before the cart:

This i have on the 2X4 Slash now...

These arrived today;

There is also a 4s Hyperion 6500mAH 35C/65C lipo on the way. Will be a change from M Amps for me and will be tested on the Eagle Tree...

Stock photo of batt;

Last edited by glbobo; 10-28-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    Never do anything half fast. Hey Ya'll, watch this

RC Champion
    Not to burst your bubble but that is the wrong motor for a 4s config.. at least for racing bashing. I guess it will be fine for speed runs though, but 55+mph is a bit much iMO.

I'd swap down to 3s lipo if i were you save the money, still insaine yet controllable

May want to use BrianG's calculator
    I love you MAN! Need a hug?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Awesome set up bro!
    your truck is going to rip on 4s with that motor
    great thing about it is you can program the settings on the esc to eas up on the power if you are going to race...

RC Qualifier
    u say the battery is a 4S, but the picture shows a 3S.........

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ight-e
    Not to burst your bubble but that is the wrong motor for a 4s config.. at least for racing bashing. I guess it will be fine for speed runs though, but 55+mph is a bit much iMO.

I'd swap down to 3s lipo if i were you save the money, still insaine yet controllable

May want to use BrianG's calculator
    From Castle Creations: Neu-Castle 2650 KV – Intended for 4S (16.8 Volt) operation. Ideal for 1/8th buggy conversions. The 2650 is 68mm long.

I have been running (in 2x Slash) 3s mostly, 2s on occasion (that is what i currently own) with Mamba Monster and VXL motor. The 4s is going to be an absolute thrill. The motor will certainly handle it. Gearing will take me whichever route i want.

Quote Originally Posted by Que165
    u say the battery is a 4S, but the picture shows a 3S.........
    It is a stock photo i pulled up. Battery hasen't arrived yet but should appear like the stock other than 3s.

RC Champion
    on 4's you won't be able to get it geared right for any type of racing.. LOL PS using the curves to control the ESC to bring it down is the worst possible way. If you can't run WOT down the straights based on gearing not throttle curves (esc or tx) you will be pushing that ESC so hard it's not even funny. The motor will run on 4s don't get me wrong, it'll be WAY too fast for any track and most basihng. 99% of people who put that 2650 motor in a buggy swap it for a 2200 because of this VERY reason and a 1/8 buggy handles 100x better and I can say this w/o the truck even hitting the market. Yes is 4wd but it's basically a MT design..

PS even w/ a 12t pinion w/ the stock spur you're at ~51mph w/ that setup... lets say the 58t spur works that will bring you down to ~47mph for the absolute SLOWEST gearing With a 2200 (1y) you could get it to a near perfect ~39mph

EDIT: I've seen a few 8t-11t pinions around but they are so tiny from the looks of the mounts they won't mesh.. now that is one for the traxxas folks to verify or it will just remain to be seen until someone can test the waters for gearing range. If you could get a 32p 9t pinion and 54t spur (or 10t/58t) to mesh on that 2650 on 4s lipo then MAYBE you could get it down to the ~38-40 range which is perfect for racing/bashing. Notice how tight the super SMALL velineon motor sits to the driveline.. and battery area w/ a 36mm motor. There are some pics of the MMM, but it looks like the 1y... ohh wait ya I think traxxas only rebags the 1y?? hmm

I'd bet money the velineon on 2s geared for 36~38mph will net the fastest lap times on the track.. and the velineon is more than enough to do that. Forget about the weight advantage and keeping the likely hood of a DNF super low due to breaks from a SUPER heavy truck. Great setup for speed runs down the street on asphalt though

Edited for Attitude. -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-29-2009 at 05:46 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hey if this guy wants to run a MMM on 4s he has every right to give it a whirl
    specialy if he runs on a big track!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This setup would be almost the same rpm as the VXL on 3s but with tons more power available

RC Champion
    but he could turn down the punch if wanted.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    Hey if this guy wants to run a MMM on 4s he has every right to give it a whirl
    specialy if he runs on a big track!

Of course he can and I noted it would be great for speed runs... you can't run a brushless truggy or buggy geared for 50 effectively on offroad tracks. The fastest guys even pro's are geared for 40ish.. So unless his track is onroad and more speed run'ish then he's going to have issues. Mids well get him thinking about it now, and really process everything. If he still wants it, he wants it and thats that. That motor geared for 50 may have heat issues during the summer, expecially the ESC tuned down by throttle curves (esc or tx) will deal w/ additional heat as well (racing of course, bashing maybe not so much). A 1y 2200 on 4s will be perfect, it can be geared up or down to fit the use... go w/ the 2200 iMO if you want excess. Due to being a 1515 vs a 1512 you will have more torque and be able to gear it higher anyway and get the same top end as you would w/ the 2650, but you will have a LOT more gearing options. That or just stick w/ a 3s lipo config w/ the 2650 and you will be in the same boat, have a lot of gearing options. Done on this one, he's got enough to think about and can make a good choice at the very least.

RC Qualifier
    8ight-e has some sort of mental issue and can't wrap his head around the fact that a 2650kv motor on 4cell lipo is going to be absolutely perfect on a 1/10 scale 4x4 vehicle. I have run the VXL 3500 on 4cell lipo and i'm quite capable of figuring out how to run Castle's motor to the utmost of enjoyment without catastrophic failure.. There will be NO BUBBLE BUSTING HERE !!!!!!! There are actually reasons for choosing the smaller can, but this may be over his head.

Tried to stay calm but enough is enough we will all see just how well this combination works and 8e will then gain a little more knowledge on how to operate whatever vehicle he has... not an argument just facts.

RC Champion
    lol like ur thread title !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by glbobo
    a 2650kv motor on 4cell lipo is going to be absolutely perfect on a 1/10 scale 4x4 vehicle. I have run the VXL 3500 on 4cell lipo and i'm quite capable of figuring out how to run Castle's motor to the utmost of enjoyment without catastrophic failure.. There will be NO BUBBLE BUSTING HERE !!!!!!! There are actually reasons for choosing the smaller can, but this may be over his head.

Tried to stay calm but enough is enough we will all see just how well this combination works and 8e will then gain a little more knowledge on how to operate whatever vehicle he has... not an argument just facts.

Go get em man!
    I'm with you on this setup..
    the kv of a VXL on 3s is almost the same as the MMM on 4s.. You are going to have a bad to the bone truck, and you can gear this thing any way you want!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by glbobo
    8ight-e has some sort of mental issue and can't wrap his head around the fact that a 2650kv motor on 4cell lipo is going to be absolutely perfect on a 1/10 scale 4x4 vehicle. I have run the VXL 3500 on 4cell lipo and i'm quite capable of figuring out how to run Castle's motor to the utmost of enjoyment without catastrophic failure.. There will be NO BUBBLE BUSTING HERE !!!!!!! There are actually reasons for choosing the smaller can, but this may be over his head.

If you're ever near NY give me a yell and we can hit a race track and see who has more setup & operating knowledge. See who is faster than who on the track
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 10-30-2009 at 08:39 PM.

RC Champion
    you guys can argue all day long.. it makes me smile to myself.

I never knew that this electric stuff was so wild and debated... I am coming from a Nitro Revo 3.3 and sick of tuning... I am jumping in head first. Slash 4x4 and Lipo... I thought stock with a couple 2S lipos would be fun... Maybe a 3S to wow my buddies who don't have RC's.... But I gotta get me one of those 900000 kv systems that handle 40 cell lipo's .. haha
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650
    you guys can argue all day long.. it makes me smile to myself.

I never knew that this electric stuff was so wild and debated... I am coming from a Nitro Revo 3.3 and sick of tuning... I am jumping in head first. Slash 4x4 and Lipo... I thought stock with a couple 2S lipos would be fun... Maybe a 3S to wow my buddies who don't have RC's.... But I gotta get me one of those 900000 kv systems that handle 40 cell lipo's .. haha
    Not quite right about that part.

I'm tired of the reports I'm receiving about attitude and rude posts. No amount of knowledge makes up for this. If the posting styles do not change, points will be issued. Thread barely hanging on.

-ksb51rl