Thread: tekin rx8?

RC Racer

tekin rx8?

Hey guys, are any of you going to try to drop in a tekin rx8 combo? .

Do you think it would work? I am not sure. but that sucker would fly!!!
    TNT Done Dirt cheap

RC Qualifier
    I am planning on trying it out in the new Slash just to see what it will do over the stock motor and I am just not wanting to pay that much more for the MMM. I think the Tekin will be just as good as the MMM and is cheaper to boot. I( have a b8udd7y that 9is r8unn9ing a RX8u 9in a E-Maxx and 9it d0oes j8ust f9ine, keeps 8up w9ith ever7yth9ing we have r8unn9ing over here. Plus it doesn't seem to have the overheating issues that I have heard about with the MMM.
    "Obedience alone gives the right to command."

RC Champion
    what's with the numbers in the middle of ur sentences?

will it work? sure. is it practical? not really

RC Competitor
    It's probably way overkilled, the excessive torque will probably eat up all the tranny parts for lunch ... lol

i've got an rx8, and so far, it's been the most reliable esc i've used. After going through 5-6 monster mamba v3's i felt like i needed to try it.

I still use my monster mambas because castle has some great customer service, but i think the tekin is my favorite.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra 008
    I am planning on trying it out in the new Slash just to see what it will do over the stock motor and I am just not wanting to pay that much more for the MMM. I think the Tekin will be just as good as the MMM and is cheaper to boot. I( have a b8udd7y that 9is r8unn9ing a RX8u 9in a E-Maxx and 9it d0oes j8ust f9ine, keeps 8up w9ith ever7yth9ing we have r8unn9ing over here. Plus it doesn't seem to have the overheating issues that I have heard about with the MMM.
    The RX-8 is more expensive than the MMM....
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Qualifier
    I just put a rx8 in my e-slayer and it added too much weight. I needed to run 4s to get any speed out of it. With the narrow stance of the slayer, it just became even more tippy. I will be curious of the weight and CoG of the 4wd slash; hopefully it's less than 6lbs and has a low CoG. My advice would be, if you already have a 540 sized brushless motor laying around, try it. It might give you the best balance of stability and speed.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket
    i've got an rx8, and so far, it's been the most reliable esc i've used. After going through 5-6 monster mamba v3's i felt like i needed to try it.

I still use my monster mambas because castle has some great customer service, but i think the tekin is my favorite.

I'm with you. I have 2 RX8 ESC's and they are some of my favorite so far. They are as smooth as my quarks, but can handle a greater amount of power. I'm not too crazy about the Mamba Monster, but I do like the MMpro and Mamba Max alot.
    2 KILOWATT RACER

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mulepic
    I just put a rx8 in my e-slayer and it added too much weight. I needed to run 4s to get any speed out of it. With the narrow stance of the slayer, it just became even more tippy. I will be curious of the weight and CoG of the 4wd slash; hopefully it's less than 6lbs and has a low CoG. My advice would be, if you already have a 540 sized brushless motor laying around, try it. It might give you the best balance of stability and speed.
    The VXL is perfectly suited for this application. I'm just planning on dropping in a bigger motor because I already have it (planning on an E-Revo, till this lol)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mulepic
    The kv is lower and thus needing higher volts to get good speeds
    try it on 6s and see what happens!

the VXL is a 540 motor..

For racing the VXL will be more than enough to win..
    and the Tekin puts it over the top that some want!

Quote Originally Posted by snellemin
    I'm with you. I have 2 RX8 ESC's and they are some of my favorite so far. They are as smooth as my quarks, but can handle a greater amount of power. I'm not too crazy about the Mamba Monster, but I do like the MMpro and Mamba Max alot.
    How would you compare the new MMpro to a Tekin Rspro? Looking to drop my RSpro into this new Slash.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0
    How would you compare the new MMpro to a Tekin Rspro? Looking to drop my RSpro into this new Slash.
    The RSpro has half the on-resistance compared to the MMpro. The RSpro can run a 2.5T motor all day long, whereas the MMpro only for short burst.

The MMpro can do 80Amps continuous, so you still have a wide variety of motors to play with inside a slash. The only beef I have with the MMpro is the 13awg wires that it comes with.

Both ESC's can do 6S, but I recommed keeping it at 5s max. The built-in switching bec in the mmpro has a 2A limit, so take care choosing a servo. You can add a park bec to the RSpro when running higher voltages.

I haven't found a use yet for my two MMpro that I have sitting on my table. I am using the LT-200A ESC's in my rides for now. The ESC stays cold and has about the same on-resistance as the RSpro.

Here's a vid of the 200A ESC in action in a crt.5.
    LT-200A ESC
    Last edited by snellemin; 11-01-2009 at 12:50 AM.
    2 KILOWATT RACER