RC Racer

The Story of my Summit!

I got it, liked, and now want it better!
    This is totally bassed on my opinions as a comp crawler guy. I know this is an extreme trail truck.
    Ive palyed around with it alot. Gave it a tekkin for power and speed with a 2250kv motor. I cut the body up and gave it a steel roll bar for the 30' roll downs it comonly sees afield. Also I moded it so when you put it in low you also lock in the diffs. Notice pic, shifting servo is upside down and Im missing one. I leave it locked in the rear all the time thats why I dont use that servo. The shifting servo has to be upside down in order to shift in low while locking in.

Also it has a water proof case for the esc. I will tell you this. Ive not had it thermaly shut down yet. I did 7 minute speed runs mixed with slow crawlin stuff and pulled the esc and it was just 125 degrees. Somthin to ponder. IT HAS NO OIL IN IT!

I also added Axial Rocksters with Proline Moabs xl.

Heres the pics enjoy.

P.S I like this truck. IT could be better. Right now Im trying to figure out how to narrow it 2.5 inches. Ideas????

Oh and I do realize this is an Extreme Trail Truck thats why Ive coined the class and started the class in my club, the - 1/8 Extreme Trail Truck Class. You know the Top Truck Challenge class is big right now in the 1/10 scaler world so I felt like my $1000 Summit was being left out. So here ya go. Im working on rules and event right now. It may just be a time trial type course with crawlin and fast stuff mixed in. Its in the works!
    Overall I like it and its fun but it could be so much better. All in All a fun truck to never reach an end on!

Last edited by scriner; 09-07-2010 at 01:21 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice body!

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

The waterproof box looks very interesting.some details on that would be much appreciated
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    To narrow it up the older slayer arms would do that (as we pm's about). But then your wheel options are limited. You can mount some 2.2's to the proline SC beadlocks or run maximizer beadlocks w/ 3/4" offset. But w/ the maximizers you need to narrow the wheel to get your steering back. Also these are 14mm hexes.

Since this is a 1/8 class wouldn't narrowing it put it in the 1/10 class?

Is the primary focus of this class speed or crawling? If it's crawling I'd loose the heavy motor, esc (although the rx8 is my favorite, keep it), and battery. Get a 540 sized motor, say 17.5T and a 3000 mah and lower the gearing. This will crawl (low gear) much better and can withstand short speed (high gear) burst before overheating. Just an idea.

RC Racer
    ITs going fast and crawling. hills,crawling,mudd, tight, wide, and everything you would find on the trail. Oh dont leave out rocks. Like I said it could be better, but who wants to give up there tekkin for a slow one!!!

RC Qualifier
    Going fast w/ such a large truck requires the larger motor but you could run 2s and reduce some weight. To get it to crawl better (I'm sure you know this), add wheel weights, soften the foam, and find good tires. The best ones that worked for me were the imex rubicons that were highly siped and the foam was cut up extensively.

tekin, steel roll cage , waterproof box, sounds like you and I have the same truck : http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...tekin+silicone

"The shifting servo has to be upside down in order to shift in low while locking in.
    "

Another way is leave the servo in place and mount the servo horn and linkage to the other side :

stock:

opposite servo side (effectively reverses the servo:

I have the 3channel spektrum radio so since I dont have the 4th channel I hade to do both servos and gear shift into one (3 position ) channel. -open, - fully locked, - fully locked n low gear - so I did kinda the same thing (usinf y-harnesses)

I saw one guy make a copetition crawler (sorta) out of the summit using slayer arms. I think it was in the rccrawler forums.
    How are the temps of the esc in the box? (how many lights)

-NICE BUILD, KEEP UP THE CREATIVE WORK
    Last edited by noir 522; 09-07-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC poster
    where can i find the info to wire my summit for use with a 3 channel radio?

for a 3 channel radio you will have to use A pair of y harnesses to link both diffs and the low gear together

If your 3rd channel has 3 positions (ie DX3R) than 3rd channel low will have to be all open, 3rd channel mid would lock both diffs using a y harness, 3rd channel high would have all diffs locked then change into low gear. For this to work effectively you will need the T-lock device found in the rx box of the 27mhz summits (not included/needed in the 2.4ghz summits)
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Racer
    If you aint got y harnesses just simply pop the ends and solder all together and a plug to go into the 3rd channel on rx. Take liquid tape and cover the ends. Wallaaa. Not as pretty but closed up it looks good!!

Quote Originally Posted by scriner
    If you aint got y harnesses just simply pop the ends and solder all together and a plug to go into the 3rd channel on rx. Take liquid tape and cover the ends. Wallaaa. Not as pretty but closed up it looks good!!
    Scriner - you el cheapo

you are almost as cheap as me
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Racer
    SCRINER, you said "It has no oil in it", should we buy the oil or it has already exist in the box of the Summit? what about E-Revo BE, do you (or others) know?
    Sorry for my bad English!

RC Qualifier
    hmn, got to narrower her?

your wheels have a ton of offset, get some zero offset rims like tech 5's
    T8 sensored/Xerun-150a/custom chassis/fit body

RC Qualifier
    hmm, i wonder if the new Slayer Pro 4x4 arms would work? Should be narrower than it is now but wider than a standard short course truck. then cut down the stock driveshafts if possible, if not, maybe Pro 4x4 shafts as well?
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

Quote Originally Posted by D@nooshTRX
    SCRINER, you said "It has no oil in it", should we buy the oil or it has already exist in the box of the Summit? what about E-Revo BE, do you (or others) know?
    There is no oil in the stock esc as its waterproof it does not need to go in a box.most of the brushless esc's are not waterproof they put them in a waterproof box and the oil was used to help keep them from overheating to disperse the heat
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    I ran it 35 minutes and no thermal shut down so the heat aint an issue. Also Noir, did you reverse both diff servos? thats looks good. I got tired of fightin it,lol.

Oh and by the way it is a water dog and a fast one....CLICK ON THE PIC

RC Qualifier
    hmn so its working with just air in the box, nice. thats a ton cleaner than tryin to fill the box with some sort of oil
    T8 sensored/Xerun-150a/custom chassis/fit body

RC Racer
    Yep. Im not sure about temp but after crawling and running around the cliffs and creeks no shutdown!

Quote Originally Posted by scriner
    Yep. Im not sure about temp but after crawling and running around the cliffs and creeks no shutdown!
    I'm liking the sound of this new information
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    And it all started with the ole' yellow beast.

Looks great man! Nice mods!
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Racer
    The Ol yellow one is in the video.... My uncle owns it now.

found it - cmpetition summit with short slayer arms build

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...=159475&page=3
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Just necromancing some good old Summit build threads to inspire these summit newbies with better ideas than simply bigger tires.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.