RC Racer

Pre-order at LHS

Well, I've been a total tower-hobbies/web only type of person ever since I got into this sport back in '03, only going to the LHS here and there for small parts. This time around I figured I'd try to support the LHS, and pre-order the Slash 4x4. We'll see how the experience is this time around.

Anyone else here kickin' it "old school"?

RC Champion
    I ordered my Rustler from a "hobby shop" here in town. Even though I had a reciept he hand wrote (and was supposed to file a copy for himself) he couldn't read what he wrote and tried to say I didn't pay for it. I got so mad it was crazy. He said "Well, I guess I'll just have to trust you" and gave it to me. I will never give him another cent. Especially when he said he would have it in 3 days and it took 2 freakin' months. The next closest hobby shop is 80 miles away. I do buy stuff there if I need something quick. I use there track outside so it's the least I can do. I wish I had a GOOD shop closer. That is why I kinda have to use towerhobbies.
    ****** out Rustler
    Slash 4x4 gettin' close

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fisheydude
    I ordered my Rustler from a "hobby shop" here in town. Even though I had a reciept he hand wrote (and was supposed to file a copy for himself) he couldn't read what he wrote and tried to say I didn't pay for it. I got so mad it was crazy. He said "Well, I guess I'll just have to trust you" and gave it to me. I will never give him another cent. Especially when he said he would have it in 3 days and it took 2 freakin' months. The next closest hobby shop is 80 miles away. I do buy stuff there if I need something quick. I use there track outside so it's the least I can do. I wish I had a GOOD shop closer. That is why I kinda have to use towerhobbies.
    some hobby shops are so bad! im glad i have 3 good hobby shops around 10Miles from me

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I am going to go the tower route,
    saving about 90bucks is the kicker for me!
    but parts I'll get a my LHS for sure

RC Champion
    I have a few shops not far from me. None can match the deal I can get on Tower. I can have anything (in stock) from Tower within a week, get free shipping, have no sales tax, and still save an extra $60 more. That's a no brainer for me. $60 is a lot of money.
    You have a rodent infestation. Shall I terminate?

RC Qualifier
    I use Tower or Horizon as well as LHS but LHS cost more and they just order there stuff from Tower or Horizon and then mark up the price.

Plus tax.
    Slash, Slash 4x4, T-Maxx 3.3, E-Maxx

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby VNT
    None can match the deal I can get on Tower.
    Could you elaborate on this? Last I checked it was $394.99. My LHS is giving me a pre-order price of $384.99. Tax is going to be around $32, so yes it will still be more expensive than Tower, but it's not as big a difference. I don't see how any LHS could charge more than MSRP for this...

RC Champion
    tower offers coupons and free shipping.
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Qualifier
    Tower
    $394.99- $60 sscc + 0 tax + 0 shipping = $334.99 to my door in two days

No LHS, nearest is 140mi round trip Hobbytown Concord great inventory and staff, just too far, still buy $100 of stuff there when I'm in the area.
    Last edited by radicalray; 10-22-2009 at 05:22 PM.

RC Competitor
    X2 on Tower- ordered 3 the other day

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by radicalray
    Tower
    $394.99- $60 sscc + 0 tax + 0 shipping = $334.99 to my door in two days

No LHS, nearest is 140mi round trip Hobbytown Concord great inventory and staff, just too far, still buy $100 of stuff there when I'm in the area.
    That's about as good as it gets!

RC Racer
    Don't you have to pay for the club, though? How much are the fees annually? I think I remember having it the first year, but didn't continue after that.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by azonicbruce
    Don't you have to pay for the club, though? How much are the fees annually? I think I remember having it the first year, but didn't continue after that.
    Tower SSC $9.99
    Last edited by radicalray; 10-23-2009 at 01:26 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I only get odd and end parts at my lhs. They way overprice everything. I got the new 5309 Revo form Tower for $490 and the lhs wanted $600 for it and is only down to $590 now.

RC Qualifier
    Tower SSC $9.99

$9.99 for year SSC to save $9.99 shipping PLUS coupons. No thought is wasted on this decision. lol Tower Hobby Rocks.
    Slash, Slash 4x4, T-Maxx 3.3, E-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sfd6532
    $9.99 for year SSC to save $9.99 shipping PLUS coupons. No thought is wasted on this decision. lol Tower Hobby Rocks.
    Lol. That 9.99 saved me $280 in 4.5 months!

RC Champion
    yea, I get small parts local, but only if I need one or two. The kit prices are usually through the roof. And when they said they couldnt drop the price of a set of tires to get at least closer to tower price...thats ok. If they dont wanna try to help me, I wont try to help them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I've saved close to $1,000 in the past year getting my rc stuff from Tower!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by azonicbruce
    Could you elaborate on this? Last I checked it was $394.99. My LHS is giving me a pre-order price of $384.99. Tax is going to be around $32, so yes it will still be more expensive than Tower, but it's not as big a difference. I don't see how any LHS could charge more than MSRP for this...
    Like the other guys said already, the savings you get, with free shipping, and coupons is well worth the effort to order it from Tower. Sure, I pay $10 to be a super saver club member, with Tower, in order to get the coupons, but the first time I place an order over $100, and I get free shipping, that $10 paid for itself. Not to mention a $60 coupon when I place any order over $300.

Pretty much a no brainer. Like the others, I've got my Slash 4x4 pre-ordered. $394, minus $60, plus free shipping, no sales tax, and I'll probably have it sooner then if I pre-ordered it from a local shop. Makes sense to me. Where else can I get the truck for $334, to my door?

My local shops can't match that. There just isn't any way. One of my local shops wanted $650 for a Revo 3.3, when I went shopping for one 2 years ago. The other could match Tower's price, but that didn't include coupons, and I would have payed sales tax. So I placed an order with Tower, saved $60, on top of an already great price. Had it by the weekend, which was great, because that's when I would have played with it the first time anyway.

RC Enthusiast
    I barter with my LHS and it works, the hobbytown in wilsonville has $5 coupons for every $100 I spend, and free shipping ofcourse. The staff there is great, very friendly.

RC Qualifier
    I find it very hard to support a LHS who is very shady.... Small parts are ok but for anything else unfortunately I would drive to Hobby Town or Fast Track in Sacramento which isn't a short drive for me.If what you guys are saying about Tower Hobbies is true I may give them a try.
    Paddle Tires Make Everything Better

RC Racer
    Like the other guys said already, the savings you get, with free shipping, and coupons is well worth the effort to order it from Tower. Sure, I pay $10 to be a super saver club member, with Tower, in order to get the coupons, but the first time I place an order over $100, and I get free shipping, that $10 paid for itself. Not to mention a $60 coupon when I place any order over $300.

Pretty much a no brainer. Like the others, I've got my Slash 4x4 pre-ordered. $394, minus $60, plus free shipping, no sales tax, and I'll probably have it sooner then if I pre-ordered it from a local shop. Makes sense to me. Where else can I get the truck for $334, to my door?

My local shops can't match that. There just isn't any way. One of my local shops wanted $650 for a Revo 3.3, when I went shopping for one 2 years ago. The other could match Tower's price, but that didn't include coupons, and I would have payed sales tax. So I placed an order with Tower, saved $60, on top of an already great price. Had it by the weekend, which was great, because that's when I would have played with it the first time anyway.
    Sorry just a little confused here.....So how do you get the $60 off for spending $300 or more....do they send you the coupon when you sign up for the club?.....So I should sign up for the club then get my $60 off coupon and then use it towards my 4x4 slash?

RC Champion
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafar
    I barter with my LHS and it works, the hobbytown in wilsonville has $5 coupons for every $100 I spend, and free shipping ofcourse. The staff there is great, very friendly.
    that works for me!
    the guys at my LHS are great and give me great deals all the time..
    alot of times I can buy alittle over their prices

but tower still has them beat with the free shipping over $150 and no tax

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 951prerun
    Sorry just a little confused here.....So how do you get the $60 off for spending $300 or more....do they send you the coupon when you sign up for the club?.....So I should sign up for the club then get my $60 off coupon and then use it towards my 4x4 slash?
    You will get emails with the savings coupon codes, shortly after you've subscribed as a super saver club member. The coupons vary in discount savings, but it's normally between 10 to 20% off the total price. Right now, the coupon everyone is talking about, is the spend $300 or more, and save $60 instantly, off the order's total.

In my opinion, it's well worth the $10 cost to join the club. I've been a club member for at least 4 or 5 years. It's saved me a ton of money. It seems I rarely place an order that isn't $100, so I am always using a coupon everytime.

RC Qualifier
    You will get emails with the savings coupon codes, shortly after you've subscribed as a super saver club member. The coupons vary in discount savings, but it's normally between 10 to 20% off the total price. Right now, the coupon everyone is talking about, is the spend $300 or more, and save $60 instantly, off the order's total.

In my opinion, it's well worth the $10 cost to join the club. I've been a club member for at least 4 or 5 years. It's saved me a ton of money. It seems I rarely place an order that isn't $100, so I am always using a coupon everytime.
    How often do the coupons come round? I just used my first $60 coupon for a Slash 4x4.
    Pede_4X4Pede_Rusty_1/10SlashVXL_1/16SummitVXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by papaweely
    How often do the coupons come round? I just used my first $60 coupon for a Slash 4x4.
    About every 2-3 weeks for me

RC Champion
    I normally get a couple emails a month with the coupons, or special discounts on specific items. I noticed since the economy took a dump, I've been getting a lot more coupons.

RC Racer
    Glad I took a look here today! Thanks to all of you I just joined Towers SSC. Makes a lot of sense. Only problem is I suddenly unexpectedly have all the money to pre-order my new slash from Tower thanks to a very generous ebay buyer !! But I have to wait to get my discount coupons/email before I place my order. Oh well. wont get it till December anyway. I haven't been excited for a toy since I was a kid! Cant wait.

RC Qualifier
    Just FYI, my lhs will match any online price including ebay. They are awesome. I just ordered a Mamba max esc and motor and they matched the lowest ebay link I sent them. Getting it for 105.99. Just saying, not all lhs suck.

RC Qualifier
    About every 2-3 weeks for me
    How often do the 20% off or higher coupons come?
    Pede_4X4Pede_Rusty_1/10SlashVXL_1/16SummitVXL

RC Qualifier
    can you use the $60 off coupon more than once? like if i want to order more than 1 4x4 slash? or 1 4x4 slash and 1 revo 3.3? can i place 2 seperate orders?
    "I am a Martial Artist"
    Mich sport karate circuit

RC Champion
    i think...........................
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Champion
    Just place separate orders and you should be fine ordering more than one.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by veryfastgt1996
    can you use the $60 off coupon more than once? like if i want to order more than 1 4x4 slash? or 1 4x4 slash and 1 revo 3.3? can i place 2 seperate orders?
    only once, then they send new coupons to you at a later date..

RC Champion
    i buy everything from my lhs 26.5 miles from my house. i only get a few things off the net here and there
    slash
    summit
    rampage mt
    tmaxx
    SCX10Dingokit

RC Qualifier
    I too went the tower hobbies route, and, even though I had to renew my membership, it just payed for itself . I hope I am not to late to get the first shipment
    I've set the bar, don't trip over it...

RC Qualifier
    delete.. wrong msg.
    Rustler VXL (untouched)