Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

slash 4x4 flaw.....

Did anyone notice how the center drive shaft sits in the center of a channel in the chassis...to me this may be a BIG FLAW in the truck..you know how your whole slash chassis gets covered in dirt or mud I am thinking lots of debrees will get jammed in and around and fill up around the center shaft causing big problems?
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Qualifier
    Maybe but I'm sure Traxxas has done there homework with this truck and addressed any big flaws.
    -----The iceage is over, embrace the voltage.-----

RC Qualifier
    do some simple cleaning once in a while and you'll never have a problem.

RC Racer
    This truck was built from the begining with the racer in mind. But a shaft cover would be nice.

RC Champion
    I never really had issues with the mud or dirt getting caked on the center of the slash chassis, it was always the bottom of the chassis and the ears of the chassis where the back tires would kick-up mud. I dont think there will be any center kick-up on this chassis either.
    What shall I put here?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't think anyone sees a flaw, unless they like to complain..

RC Racer
    the channel is always open on one side, so there shouldn't be a problem...........why not get creative and use tape or get really creative and make a lexan cover
    That was easy

Traxxas - Futaba - Losi - Tekin

RC Champion
    A flaw? I don't really see it that way at all. Traxxas really did a nice job, in my opinion, with the design of the drivetrain. The center driveshaft is light, straight as an arrow, has no universal joints to fail, and all that put together makes for an extremely efficient set-up. It's probably the most efficient shaft drive layout one could ever use.

I really don't think there will be any problems with the design. Not even from debris. Sure, a little dirt, mud, rocks, pebbles, and whatever else gets thrown from the tires will eventually find it's way into the nooks and crannys of the chassis, but it won't be any worse then the Slash 4x2 trucks. That stuff just shakes out on it's own anyway.

Rest assured Traxxas has it all figured out.
    You have a rodent infestation. Shall I terminate?

Rest easy, the truck comes with a clear cover for the driveshaft.

RC Champion
    wow rely thats cool
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    Dirt n mud gets clogged on your drive shafts on the rusty, pede, bandit, and slash and it does not get jammed.
    SLASH IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    well only the smooth part of the driveshaft is exposed on the slash 4x4 so i dont thing that will be a problem
    Its not if it breaks...its when

In a box on Hwy. 64 bashin' with Bradley Youngskins!
    Probably the shaft will just spin it the mud or dirt off or a rollover will knock it out. And if it was/is a problem it's just gonna have resistance that's it. Still a prob if you want max performance, like racing.

RC Racer
    That's not a flaw.. That's just Traxxas way of saying to other company "We've done the difficult engineering part, now go make cover for the chassis"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjy78bP222g

RC Champion
    The driveshaft won't need a cover.

RC Champion
    if this smooth center shaft is a problem i thought the exposed drive shafts on every other traxxas vehicle would be a problem to?
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Champion
    brushless "velineon" horsepower flings all the dirt out of the gears

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    I don't think anyone sees a flaw, unless they like to complain..
    Agreed on that hey, most of the guys posting in this new SLASH 4X4 section are all complaining hey, none of them even own one yet they should be greatful that TRAXXAS is even making a 4X4 SLASH if they dont like it buy something else...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by waggaclint
    Agreed on that hey, most of the guys posting in this new SLASH 4X4 section are all complaining hey, none of them even own one yet they should be greatful that TRAXXAS is even making a 4X4 SLASH if they dont like it buy something else...
    Hi I Did not say i don't like it or anything...I Just was wondering if the shaft would cause a problem as it does on the 1/16 revo where debrees get jamed in it and it chews up the drive shaft.
    Thanks
    Z....

RC poster
    Looks like somewhat of a copy of the Associated tc4 driveline for the center shaft.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedron
    Looks like somewhat of a copy of the Associated tc4 driveline for the center shaft.
    Not really, there are a bunch of different shaft drive touring cars as well as buggies, etc.

That would be like saying the savage is a copy of the t-maxx because they both have 8 shocks.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC poster
    Wasn't Associated the first one to do this? If not who was?

RC Champion
    Tamiya had center driveshafts similar to this for years.

RC Qualifier
    arent they sealed??????

RC Qualifier
    I thought the slash 4X4 came out in december??

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by majestic
    Are you just kidding or did I miss that in all of the Release Details I have been reading? If it does, then that's really nice.
    Savage-Modified!, E-Revo VXL, Slash 2wd, Mini-T

No joking, just wait and see. Alot of the guys here are bashing the truck for unnecessary reasons. They haven't even seen one much less driven one. Im not saying you were bashing the truck, it was a good question.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SWEETZ28
    Hi I Did not say i don't like it or anything...I Just was wondering if the shaft would cause a problem as it does on the 1/16 revo where debrees get jamed in it and it chews up the drive shaft.
    I haven't ever had an issue with debris getting stuck and causing problems with the driveshafts on my 1/16 Revo. Also the center driveshaft on the 4wd Slash runs protected from the rear did till it is exposed at the front diff. It is just like the shaft driven TC's and I never had issues with debris in those either...
    Old School E-Maxx

RC Champion
    It won't be a problem. My rally converted touring cars are set up the same way... with plastic drive shafts, and I have never had a problem.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^ | ||__ DRAGSTER
    |____TRAXXAS ___| ||'|";\..
    |(@)'(@)""*''|(@)(@)***(@)

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETZ28
    SlotterHouse came up with a solution for that in the 1:10 E-Revo. I helped a little. See this thread.
    The 1:16 E-Revo wont take the exact same part but the template, properly scaled, should be a good starting point.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by waggaclint
    Agreed, and I am getting one!
    it looks killer!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by majestic
    If this is true then you are all worrying about nothing. No reason to be an armchair engineer. Wait till the truck is out first.
    RadioControlDecals.com
    Custom Name Decals & More

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Rob
    If this is true then you are all worrying about nothing. No reason to be an armchair engineer. Wait till the truck is out first.
    That's awesome Racer Rob!
    armchair engineer...

I do agree with ya

RC Champion
    look at the end of this video they show the 4x4 slash....it has a clear cover over the drive shaft also!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nwiC...ayer_embedded#
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Qualifier
    Nice video, Thanks. I can't wait till December.
    Slash, Slash 4x4, T-Maxx 3.3, E-Maxx

RC Racer
    Funny to see what sweetz28 noticed before it was even out! Now we see the problems it has.
    Well i havnt even run mine yet, just once in the front yard. Any one take the cover off with better results then trying to fill the gaps?

RC Qualifier
    I can confirm it is a MAJOR FLAW. a piece of pebble trapped in between the center shaft and the cover, and shattered the clear shaft cover; also almost cutting thru the shaft and that was within the first 5 minutes of driving a brand new truck. another piece trapped inside right where the center shaft support bearing and round off the whole slipper adjusting nut. Not to mention all the tiny sand fill up the whole well area every few minutes, making the truck simply un-driveable. I cannot believe traxxas can't forseen such major problem when they testing the truck out before release
    5805,17/58,REM,VXL,1/8

RC Champion
    Well, it's a flaw but people have come up with ways to work around it here on the forum. None is permanent or perfect but they help address the issue.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTEC
    I can confirm it is a MAJOR FLAW. a piece of pebble trapped in between the center shaft and the cover, and shattered the clear shaft cover; also almost cutting thru the shaft and that was within the first 5 minutes of driving a brand new truck. another piece trapped inside right where the center shaft support bearing and round off the whole slipper adjusting nut. Not to mention all the tiny sand fill up the whole well area every few minutes, making the truck simply un-driveable. I cannot believe traxxas can't forseen such major problem when they testing the truck out before release
    well, there are lots of mods in this forum that you can do to the center driveshaft/cover to prevent extra debris from getting stuck in it. The best one i think is here: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=504147

I have had NO problems whatsoever with my clear cover/center driveshaft. Which leads me to say that this IS NOT a major flaw.
    Slayer, Slash 4x4 (MMM/2650kv), & a Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher5225
    well, there are lots of mods in this forum that you can do to the center driveshaft/cover to prevent extra debris from getting stuck in it. The best one i think is here: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=504147

I have had NO problems whatsoever with my clear cover/center driveshaft. Which leads me to say that this IS NOT a major flaw.
    Thanks for posting my mod.

I have gotten great feedback from every one who has done it, as I have posted it up on multiple forums when the issue has been brought up.. Taking the rear end off to do it is the easiest way of doing it. I would say it takes no more the 15 minutes to do. I took mine apart yesterday to fill my diffs and install my center diff and threw another piece of heat shrink over it for a tighter fit.....haven't had 1 issue with it yet