Thread: torn tyres fix

RC Qualifier

Lightbulb torn tyres fix

Hi people.You've probably noticed the summit tyres get little rips when used on rocky stuff.If you use super glue(crazy glue in the US)with the little pointy nozzle you can push the pointy bit into the rip with a little bit of glue on it.This applies the glue to the edges of the hole.Its worked on my T MAXX for a couple of years,just go over your tyres every time you get home

RC Qualifier
    The ca glue may hold up especially if it's the rubberized type. Also try plastidip.

RC Qualifier
    I used a paper stapler and stapled them from the inside like stitches. After I stapled them I ran a bead of tire glue from the inside across the staples, and rip. You have to take one side of the tire off the wheel and turn the tire inside out though lol. Saved me some time and got me by for a lil while.

RC Racer
    Has tearing been a big issue for a lot of summit owners? I know the tires are made of really soft thin rubber, but I havent noticed it. Granted i havent driven over any large sharp rocks yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NOFX
    Hi people.You've probably noticed the summit tyres get little rips when used on rocky stuff.If you use super glue(crazy glue in the US)with the little pointy nozzle you can push the pointy bit into the rip with a little bit of glue on it.This applies the glue to the edges of the hole.Its worked on my T MAXX for a couple of years,just go over your tyres every time you get home

When gluing the tires back together along with doing what is stated above by NOFX, i would put some glue between the inside of the tire around the tear and the foam, as this will help hold the tire together better.
    'Brushless...RCs Magnacharger'

Due to impalement on a sharp tree root I recently had to repair an HPI GT2 tire (it was on an E-Revo). Superglue is all well and good, but if you have a bicycle tube patch kit and are willing to remove the tire, that is a great way to fix a tire after closing the hole with the superglue. The weight of the patches seemed to have no significant effect on the overall balance of the wheel.
    Pics:

The damage

The superglue

The patches (Here's looking at you, kid. )
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I've used those same bike tire patches on mine too, they work rather well (much better than trying to super glue the tear by itself).

RC Racer
    And a simple way to get the tire off the rim is...? I have heard of boiling the wheel and tire to loosen the glue, baking it in an oven, and just tearing the tire off the rim. Are these legit? Is a certain way recommended?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SubieFan
    And a simple way to get the tire off the rim is...? I have heard of boiling the wheel and tire to loosen the glue, baking it in an oven, and just tearing the tire off the rim. Are these legit? Is a certain way recommended?
    yes boiling and baking the tire will both work with no problems or damage to the wheel.. some people prefer one over the other i personally have done it using the boiling way with no problems

This was baked. It ruins the chrome, so I removed it and dyed the wheels black. It looked much, much better that way. HPI chrome stinks anyway.

Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Thanks! I will have to try one of those if/when the tires rip. I have bicycle tire tube patches, just had never thought of using them on rc tires.