RC Qualifier

Two Speed Conversion Kit for E-Revo

so what do you think about the Two Speed Convertion Kit for E-Revo?
    are there any disadvantages on using it?
    can it be used for having the gear for offroad (58t spur) and the gear for onroad (48t spur) always ready to use?

Here is how Traxxas describe it:

IMO I like the Keep it simple stupid, K.I.S.S. , philosophy. I have yet to have a single problem with a ss tranny, after 15 mos of brushless. To complicate things, and maybe introduce a weaker link would seem counter productive, and Murphy's law would state it would fail immediately. Also, I think you could change, spur or pinion, many times, to equal the work you would have to do to install this. But this is for me, for your situation it could be the best thing since the E-revo.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Racer
    This provides a lower torque gear. When you consider that nitro engines need to get into the RMP band to produce torque and your BL motor has stump pulling tq off the line this is really not necessary. The only application where it would make sense something like the E-Revo Rocks crawler project. If you are building a crawler then this would be awesome, anything other than that and you are adding unnecessary complexity which will add another potential point of failure.
    E-Revo + CC MMM + MaxAmps - Skilled at breaking it

RC Qualifier
    Many of my local offroad tracks or play grounds have asphalt road(s) near to them where I can run it too.
    Do you all use the same gear to run it offroad and onroad?(!) what if you just want to show your friends how fast it is (on asphalt) after playing offroad? do you make them wait minutes while you change the spur gear?

what if you just want to show your friends how fast it is (on asphalt) after playing offroad? do you make them wait minutes while you change the spur gear
    Nope, just leave it geared fast.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I believe that is for the brushed E-Revo, because the brushless E-Revo does not need a lower 1st gear, since it makes so much torque, a lower gear is useless (IMO).
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Champion
    You can use this in the brushless E-Revo, but I wouldn't. I put the 2 speed kit in my 3905 E-Maxx with MMM and it wasn't very useful. Because of the way the brushless motors work I had just as much torque in high as I did low. I found myself never using low gear, and it just adds another wink link to fail.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    It is not needed for the e-revo, it just sounds like you want to spend money, it will do you absolutely no good adding that to your erbe.
    OH WELL, YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A TEKIN RX8...

RC Qualifier
    Like its been said, the stock e-revo could do with a lower gear then its stock setup, and the optional 2 speed setup from traxxas would hit that need just right. But the ERBE and its gobs of power wouldnt benefit from it.

But you can check out Kershaw Designs. I think he addresses that issue and makes the 1st gear normal, and the second gear for high speed blasts. Better suited for the ERBE then the stock optional upgrade.
    Just an idea. Heres the link to it;

http://204.186.93.64/E-Revo-Overdrive%20Gearing.htm

Still, the ERBE, has a good chance of ripping all the internals up in unit.

RC poster
    I personally installed this tranny in my brushless revo and find it very useful for two reasons. First, it lets me crawl around at slow speeds when I want and second, it slows the car down when an inexperienced driver wants to try out the car. So far, I have not had any problems with the tranny considering I use 6S lipos in the winter. I expected something to give in the cold but so far its been holding up just fine. Well worth the price.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Voltage
    Like its been said, the stock e-revo could do with a lower gear then its stock setup, and the optional 2 speed setup from traxxas would hit that need just right. But the ERBE and its gobs of power wouldnt benefit from it.

But you can check out Kershaw Designs. I think he addresses that issue and makes the 1st gear normal, and the second gear for high speed blasts. Better suited for the ERBE then the stock optional upgrade.
    Just an idea. Heres the link to it;

http://204.186.93.64/E-Revo-Overdrive%20Gearing.htm

Still, the ERBE, has a good chance of ripping all the internals up in unit.
    that was made for his bigger brushed over stock setups...
    that do not hold a candle to true brushless power!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    I believe that is for the brushed E-Revo, because the brushless E-Revo does not need a lower 1st gear, since it makes so much torque, a lower gear is useless (IMO).
    is built into the Summit...

If one wants to crawl, this would be cool to change to a lower gear and hit the rocks with easier control
    First MiniSlash

RC Qualifier
    what makes this shift user or rpm?
    Slash, Rustler VXl, Summit, erevo, lots of non trx

RC Racer
    The user. Read the description at the top of the post and it'll tell you all about it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy
    what makes this shift user or rpm?
    user, servo, 3rd channel
    First MiniSlash

RC Qualifier
    I think you need to leave it as it is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It seems like you just want to spend money, but if you install that, I want to race you, so while you are shifting gears, I will be cruising away at a very high rate of speed.

RC Champion
    It's not that type of 2 speed. 1st gear is really low for crawling 2nd gear is the same as stock so it will be just as fast as stock. It not designed like a 2 speed nitro tranny where it shifts to go faster.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    Exactly. If you're doing slow speed crawling (or like was said, use it in the form of a "training mode"), the 2-speed is very much worth having. It GREATLY reduces the MMM's cogging when creeping around real slow. You have two low gear ratio options available: "wide ratio" (what comes standard in the Summit), and "close ratio" (much like the old E-Maxx 3906 ratios).

If you just bash around or do speed runs however, then there's really no point in getting it.

RC Champion
    I'm considering it because I do like to crawl sometimes but I also like the speed of the stock tranny.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    wow lots of mixed opinions here lol. i'm in the process of slowly building an erevo and i'm waiting to get the majors last and the tranny is one of those things. my only expierience with a 2 speed was in an old nitro i had and i kind of liked it for when your just kind of trudging along (yes i know nitro is different but still...). the opinions here are pretty much 50/50 so this isnt helping me at all lol. i see both sides but which one to take? i dont really have the money for an mmm so im probably either first going to get a single titan 775 or just wait a little longer and get the kershaw designs setup. i do like kind of trudging along without to much resistance so i do like a lower gear. but i also have the need to go a little faster sometimes...is it possible to put the low gear a little under stock to crawl-ish and the high gear a little higher than stock for speed?
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

RC Qualifier
    Short of crawling I never have seen a benefit for it even for the brushed versions if you are putting a higher torque motor like the two you call out. I recommend not adding it unless you really are crawling and instead look towards a brushless setup and a 2.4GHz radio with throttle endpoint adjustments (no more interference with 2.4GHz and you get to slow it down as needed for anyone else driving).

RC Racer
    what is we use the taller gear set up would it then be feasible ?

RC Champion
    I have this in my EMAXX connected to a 775/EVX-2...first I was running summit tires and the goal was to pull the kid around the yard in his "cozy coupe"...low gear was AWESOME! Now that I have a summit, I changed the tires to EMAXX tires and I still use low gear when he wants to drive the car...

....Weak link? NOT! Its no weaker than stock as the stock gear set up is not altered, it simply adds gears and a slide selector on the output shaft.

Point to ponder, this set up offers a 50:1 ratio where the summit gears offer a 70:1 reduction

RC Champion
    I throw in my 2 cents on this one.

If you have a good brushless set up and good radio this tranny is not only not needed its a complete waste of money and only introduces another failure point. Throttle profiles can easily be changed on the radio for lower speed running if that is what is desired.

If you are running nitro you need to be in the power band of the engine to develop the most torque, with electric this simply isnt the case as you have 100% torque available from a dead stop to max rpms. This is the biggest advantage that DC motors have over fuelies.

Ive seen it in full scale where a guy took an old fiat and put a 150hp DC motor in it and filled the back with high dicharge rate batteries. Nothing on the track could touch it! I thought for sure that the blower equipped camaro with a 454 in it was going to stomp him, nope....the camaro lost and by quite a margin. All due to the 100% torque on demand where any internal combustion engine has to be in the power band.

RC Racer
    the question is if we alter the gear set up to a much taller gear could we gain mph and bottom end torque . the muck taller gear in a single gear setup would put to much strain on the drive train from a dead stop . but 2 speed low/ then hi ... something to ponder i guess .. just thinking out of the box a little

RC Qualifier
    Here is what you could do, if you want a second 2 speed transmission see if you could find one eBay. I just look and found one for about $40. Now thats shipped to me in Canada, so you could probably find one cheaper. Then find a mini servo, a 5 channel Rx/Tx and your done. Then if you dont like it, you still have your original tranny and could put it back and sell all the stuff. And it could be done for about $150. Other people have put brushless systems in their Summits, and apparently the locking diffs are the weak link.
    Last edited by woog421; 12-16-2012 at 10:49 AM.

RC Competitor
    I've ran mine with and without 2 speed. The 2 speed adds a usable dimension and I enjoy it. Others have posted that they have had no breakage problems and neither have I. It's a hobby-experiment if you want to.

RC Qualifier
    It sounds like most of the 2-speed haters have no experience with this particular 2-speed transmission. I drove my ERBE for a few months before installing the 2-speed tranny. On 6s, it's just too fast. With VERY little throttle input, it's already moving pretty quick. The lower gear is nice for crawling over roots/curbs/big rocks. I've had ABSOLUTELY no problems.

Also, just to clear some things up.....you can't really shift from low to high when you're cruising. The truck can be going a few mph, but it's not a stomp on the throttle and shift type of tranny. Also, the low gear is REALLY slow and sounds like heck when you give it any real throttle. The motor has to wind way up for you to get any real speed out of it. Needless to say, it has its place if that's what you're looking for. I dropped it in and haven't regretted it one bit. It's all about customizing these things to your liking. Have fun!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by randy0050 View Post
    the question is if we alter the gear set up to a much taller gear could we gain mph and bottom end torque . the muck taller gear in a single gear setup would put to much strain on the drive train from a dead stop . but 2 speed low/ then hi ... something to ponder i guess .. just thinking out of the box a little
    The only difference in strain is in the tranny. From the output shaft on down the drivetrain the low speed will introduce more torque and break things even easier if you have a heavy throttle finger.

One thing I did neglect to mention is slow speed on an unsensored motor with no low gear introduces cogging so the 2 speed would remedy that. If you run a sensored set up ( I run the RX8/T8 2250 combo) you can set up throttle profiles on a good radio ( I run Futaba 4pks) to get the same results.

Also as mentioned you cant just shift on the fly, I wouldnt even do it at a slow speed. Kinda like 4 low on a full scale 4x4 where you have to stop to go from low to high and vice versa.

Im no hater, if this fits your bill than have a go at it. It just doesnt fit mine.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey is it possible to put one of these two speed transmissions in a stampede 4x4 vxl

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanderson1 View Post
    It sounds like most of the 2-speed haters have no experience with this particular 2-speed transmission. I drove my ERBE for a few months before installing the 2-speed tranny. The lower gear is nice for crawling over roots/curbs/big rocks. I've had ABSOLUTELY no problems.
    Well said +1.

RC poster
    I agree 100% I think it was a great buy, love it