Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Rustler VXL review

Yesterday I got my Rustler VXL in the mail. I thought I'd write a quick review on it so future buyers will know what it's like.

First, the bad stuff. As soon as I popped some batteries in and the steering servo centered itself, I found out that the toe and camber angles were completely messed up. I must've gotten a Friday afternoon assembled car, because it was just horrible - spent about an hour straightening the wheels out, and I still haven't gotten them perfect yet. Shame on Traxxas for allowing this to happen.

Once I started running the Rustler, I was already having issues. I've had less than three runs on it, and already three things broke. I was geared 16/90 with Talons and was outside bashing yesterday and hit a tree stump going about 10mph and the left front steering block snapped in half like a twig. That ended my bashing until this morning. After I put in a spare steering block, I decided to do some speed runs and geared 25/90 and put on some Anacondas. About after 15 minutes of hardcore speed runs, the rear left tire suddenly decided to randomly fall off while going at 40mph and ended up on the other side of the parking lot. Luckily I had spare parts at home, so it was a quick fix, and I was back at the parking lot in a few minutes. I did a few more speed passes, when I suddenly noticed my steering was messed up. After a quick inspection, I found out the front right turnbuckle had somehow totally unscrewed itself apart.

Now for the good stuff. This isn't my first VXL, so the speed isn't new to me, but yes, the Rustler VXL is as fast as Traxxas claims it to be. But what really amazed me is the handling. Compared to my Stampede, which understeered like a pig, the Rustler handles like a champ. The steering is quick and predictable, and with Anacondas on hot tarmac, the Rustler sticks to the pavement like glue. My Stampede would understeer and then traction roll while going anywhere faster than 20mph, but the Rustler just sticks and turns. It hardly rolled over at all, and the few times that it did, it was because I hit a bump or a large pebble. Offroad with Talons, the Rustler is just as competent as the Stampede when riding over the rough stuff, and the handling is just as impressive offroad as it is onroad. And the other small touches like adjustable camber links and full ball bearings are also very cool.

Overall, I like the Rustler VXL and I'm glad I purchased it. I wasn't very impressed with the front suspension however (I blame whoever assembled my Rustler that day at Traxxas), and I plan to upgrade to all RPM parts to save me future headaches. I've also never heard anything good about the stock Alias tires, which is why I decided to purchase the Talons for offroad and the Anacondas for onroad. But for $240 at Tower Hobbies with a coupon code, the Rustler VXL is a steal. It's quick, it's agile, it's easy to work on, and it looks sexy.
    Last edited by Misbehavin'; 09-06-2009 at 07:57 PM.

RC Champion
    as a rule of thumb i fallow, is never just pull a vehicle out of the box and run. do you really think some assembly line worker is going to fiddle with the adjustments to get it perfect when they have a quota of vehicles to assemble.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by schofield
    as a rule of thumb i fallow, is never just pull a vehicle out of the box and run. do you really think some assembly line worker is going to fiddle with the adjustments to get it perfect when they have a quota of vehicles to assemble.
    I never pull a vehicle out of the box and just run either. But if you have to spend at least an hour fixing up something that shouldn't need to be fixed right out of the box, doesn't that defeat the purpose of "Ready To Run"?

So I just got around to putting my turnbuckle back on. What happened was the little locknut that secures it unscrewed itself off. I checked the other locknut on the left turnbuckle, and it was extremely loose as well. I am not happy with the assembly of my Rustler so far.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Its a mass produced car..problems do happen. I know my car was perfect when i recieved mine
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang
    So I just got around to putting my turnbuckle back on. What happened was the little locknut that secures it unscrewed itself off. I checked the other locknut on the left turnbuckle, and it was extremely loose as well. I am not happy with the assembly of my Rustler so far.
    This happened to me too. I put some blue loctite on the screw and it's fine now. Was this the turnbuckle that connect to the bellcrank?
    No pain! No Gain!

RC Champion
    as said before this car is mass produced. after some strength upgrades though, the car is a beast.
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC Qualifier
    My review,

I got mine last night also, VXL version ( and to my surprise the waterproof ver)
    But upon opening the box i notice quite a lot of oil had soaked through, it turns out the front shock had "unscrewed" itself and all the oil had come out, but a quick fix of adding some oil and tighting it up 5 min of detailed inspection and i was ready to run.

First run on stoock tires and tarmac and WOW, it's faster than i thought it would be ( i have come from FE boating) out of the box this is quick, handle well, a little too well for my steep learning curve ability, after a couple of roll overs, i cant belive the thing tracks so well, it does have a tendance to over steer in off throttle run down, but i'm sure some Anacondas will fix that along with a ride height adjustment.

SEcond run Off road bashing, brillant, almost unstoppable, lacks a little grip on the front with those stock tires (easilly fixed with a set of off roady tires)
    I reckon it handles better off road than on....... Doesnt lift the front as much, easilly correctabel steering into and out of a corner.

After my second run it was back to the garage to apply the stickers, cut out the battery tray so my lipos will actually fit, change over to my Futaba FM radio, change ESC connectors to bullet, fit RPM front bumper, try to adjust slipper clutch ( no luck )

Overall Rating... Bloddy Brilliant!! , so much more than i expected, coming from running $1500 boats and trying to squeeze every klm out of them and blowing things up every other run just to get a 120km circuit boat,

But this deliver for $400 AUD fantasic!!!! keep it up.
    Go hard or go Home!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by apples1

But upon opening the box i notice quite a lot of oil had soaked through, it turns out the front shock had "unscrewed" itself and all the oil had come out
    That sucks. On a sidenote, I was watching some YouTube videos and came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFD-v1tKPjA

The same thing happened to him xD

RC Qualifier
    exactaly the same only on the front, no biggy though
    Go hard or go Home!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by apples1
    But upon opening the box i notice quite a lot of oil had soaked through, it turns out the front shock had "unscrewed" itself and all the oil had come out, b
    i have heard of this before, i was told it is from the vehicles being shipped from china and in the cargo hold the pressure is to much for the shocks sometimes and they can explode out.

RC Qualifier
    i have a review.

the rustler is my favorite car over the pede and over the summit i just bought.
    but the summit is a truck maybe its just not fast enough for me
    Last edited by Misbehavin'; 09-06-2009 at 07:59 PM.
    1RUSTY 2PEDES AND A SUMMIT

RC Racer
    Found out another thing wrong with my Rustler today. I could make really tight right turn circles, but my left turn circles were extremely wide. I took a look, and found out my servo saver was messed up.

The servo saver on my steering servo was not centered when it was installed, which would explain the main source of my woes. Took it apart and recentered it, and now it's working perfectly. I've spent about another hour trying to eyeball the toe and camber angles to get it right, with no luck, and I'm just about ready to give up.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wierd..It might have been through a bad shipping history..you could give traxxas a call..Mistakes do happen.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Champion
    ya i just got my bandit vxl and it was perfect

RC Racer
    It wasn't just a mistake. Whoever assembled my Rustler obviously didn't give a darn and just slopped it together. The servo saver wasn't centered. The toe and camber angles were odd. The turnbuckles weren't tightened on. When I pulled the Alias tires off, I found blue loctite around the wheel nuts, so someone tried to loctite the tires on, but did a poor job of it, because I still got them off (don't know if that's a good thing or not).

When I got my Stampede XL-5, it was perfect. But this Rustler is a lemon so far.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You want the wheels to come off. I think you got one of those 1 out of 1000 rustler that werent made right. lol
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Champion
    ^^^^ i agree

i noticed locktite on my wheel nuts, and i could easily get them off.

RC Qualifier
    Just wondering if you got a repacked returned item or display item. How well do you know your supplier.

RC Champion
    That sucks. On a sidenote, I was watching some YouTube videos and came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFD-v1tKPjA
    I'm guessing the chainsaw wasn't as handy. Geez.
    ------
    hmmm, I've never seen it spelled that way.

Wolfgang if you are about to give up after a couple hours of dialing in the truck,,,well maybe you picked the wrong hobby. Half the fun of this hobby is working on the truck.

I met a guy at the LHS two days ago and helped him picking out a truck and stuf ffor it. He got a Rusty VXL and brought it over to my house so I could help him get it going and show him how to charge the lipo he got. Only issue we found with the truck was the slipper was too tight. Other than that it ran great right out of the box.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by crusader1
    Just wondering if you got a repacked returned item or display item. How well do you know your supplier.
    I bought it from Tower Hobbies.

Anyways, I guess I'll have to pick up a camber/toe gauge later. Right now I can drive forward straight, but when I reverse, it pulls to one side. Really annoying.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    Wolfgang if you are about to give up after a couple hours of dialing in the truck,,,well maybe you picked the wrong hobby. Half the fun of this hobby is working on the truck.

I met a guy at the LHS two days ago and helped him picking out a truck and stuf ffor it. He got a Rusty VXL and brought it over to my house so I could help him get it going and show him how to charge the lipo he got. Only issue we found with the truck was the slipper was too tight. Other than that it ran great right out of the box.
    I'm not giving up on the HOBBY. I'm giving up on trying to eyeball the camber/toe angles lol.

RC Champion
    I bought it from Tower Hobbies.

Anyways, I guess I'll have to pick up a camber/toe gauge later. Right now I can drive forward straight, but when I reverse, it pulls to one side. Really annoying.
    people have that problem sometimes. putting a spit washer in the diff will fix that. just search "washer mod" or something like that

RC Champion
    it happens to my rustler, but i just ignore it. with simple mods an uprgades the car is soooo much better
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC Qualifier
    The servo saver wasn't centered.
    The toe and camber angles were odd.
    The turnbuckles weren't tightened on.
    When I pulled the Alias tires off, I found blue loctite around the wheel nuts, so someone tried to loctite the tires on, but did a poor job of it, because I still got them off (don't know if that's a good thing or not).
    Quote Originally Posted by arvint
    Wierd..It might have been through a bad shipping history..you could give traxxas a call..Mistakes do happen.
    I dunno, but aren't those things you just said all things you can fix yourself?
    its just tweaking...nothing is broken or destroyed right?

so I ask arvint, you'd actually call traxxas if an toe or camber angle isn't set up right?....

Or did I miss something out in the post?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj

at last someone who makes sence in his reply about the complaining of the original poster.

if you would rather call the dealer or traxxas because of a ANGLE issue, rather than tweaking it yourself...RC is not your thing.
    ps: what would you do if you are a oversea customer, call traxxas?
    "hey, my toe angle isn't perfect 1 in, and my saver servo, ****, it took me 1 hour to make it good"

think about that!

If I get mine next week, I am already looking forward of changing, replacing, tweaking etc
    If you complain about little things, you're gonna have no fun what so ever in this hobby...cause it's those little things that make it so cool

hmmm, make me wonder what you expected from this hobby....

this isn't a small 50 dollar typco model you know

its really strange since you said you already got a XL-5...so you weren't new to this.
    So very strange your complaining...
    Last edited by Riko; 09-04-2009 at 05:13 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Riko

its really strange since you said you already got a XL-5...so you weren't new to this.
    So very strange your complaining...
    It's strange to you that I'm complaining because you're confused and you don't understand it.

What exactly is the point that you're trying to convey anyways? Are you saying that if I pay $240 for a new RC truck and it comes half *****ed assembled, that I SHOULDN'T complain? That I should get out my trusty wrench and start working away because "Oh boy, Traxxas can assemble these cars as crappily as they want and I'll pay as much as they want and I'll willingly spend hours fixing their mistakes because I love this hobby!"? Nah.

This car was literally falling apart when I drove it because some lazy slob at Traxxas didn't bother doing his job right. I have every right to complain.

RC Qualifier
    the core: nothing was broken that you couldn't fix yourself

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Riko
    the core: nothing was broken that you couldn't fix yourself
    Having to spend hours needlessly fixing and adjusting a new RC car that's "Ready to Run" out of the box defeats the whole purpose of it being "Ready to Run".

Wolfgang I think the point he and I were trying to make is this is the nature of the hobby and the things you are complaing about having to fix are really what most of us enjoy fixing. A BIG part of what most of us enjoy is working on the truck as much as driving them. Getting them dialed in and making them run how we want them to and putting our personal tweaks on them. I can understand you think Traxxas should have done a better job of assembly but maybe you got a fluke. For the most part Traxxas does a very good job for a truck that is mass assembled. Like I related in my previous post the truck I just helped a guy set up was to me very well set up and drove amazingly well right out of the box.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Having to spend hours needlessly fixing and adjusting a new RC car that's "Ready to Run" out of the box defeats the whole purpose of it being "Ready to Run".
    remember, you did hit a tree and knocked everything loose

i think my turnbuckle was the first to fall off too. No biggie tho. I agree it sucks having to do that much tweeking when first getting it, but its part of the fun like Dad said. I also agree with having to do a check over on any RTR model. i check all nuts and screws and especially wheel nuts. takes no more than 10 minutes. apart from all this fun stuff, enjoy your Rustler, its a great machine, and it's going to make you spend money you dont have
    infowars.com

RC Qualifier
    It wasn't just a mistake. Whoever assembled my Rustler obviously didn't give a darn and just slopped it together. The servo saver wasn't centered. The toe and camber angles were odd. The turnbuckles weren't tightened on. When I pulled the Alias tires off, I found blue loctite around the wheel nuts, so someone tried to loctite the tires on, but did a poor job of it, because I still got them off (don't know if that's a good thing or not).

When I got my Stampede XL-5, it was perfect. But this Rustler is a lemon so far.

. Get over it the rustler is a **** of a truck. Those are all easy fixes big deal. You had to tighten a few screws get used to it. When I got my pede I couldn't get my tires off so consider yourself lucky. It took me hours to get those things off but hey stuff happens
    1RUSTY 2PEDES AND A SUMMIT

ok i understand the "rtr" not being there,and with the 1000's of trucks these people make everyday cant expect everyone be perfect.

p.s-plus do any of us really care we all know how good traxxas is!!!

RC Qualifier
    You really have to town down the slogan "ready to run" a bit dude.
    You're taking it to literally...
    Ready to run here means, no buying the parts yourself, no building the vechicle from zero, no painting, no assembling etc, those kind of stuff.
    That's what they mean with Ready to Run.

Cause, Ready to run will always demand tweaking from the owner, before and afther. Here you just didn't expect so much tweaking before...

Your idea of "ready to run" is that of a Tyco 30 bucks rc car, that is indeed ready to run in the pure sence...

But "Ready to run" in high end rc cars means something else, these are tunable rc's that handle speed and abuse like no 30 bucks rc car can.
    It's more of a miniature version of a real car, real like suspension parts, real turnbuckle, sensitive to adjustment, so of course you need to tweak!
    A 30 bucks rc car is never that detailed and sophisticated as a high end rc car, that is whay it won't need any tweaking at all.

I just think you are missing the point about "Ready To Run" and are really over reacting here.

RC poster

Traxxas Rustler VXL parts replacment

heyy
    i'm new to all of this so need alot of advises
    i wanna buy a traxxas rustler vxl i heard its a great car but i got a problem of spare parts as it doesnt have any spare parts sold here, the only spare parts available is for th HPi cars
    so my question is, would the HPI spare parts work on the traxxas rustler VXL or not
    and i wanna know what is the most parts that always get broken in this car and frequently replaced so i can order a few pcs of it when i order this car online

thanks guys

RC Racer
    what i do when i got my new rustler is ran my motor to wear is down and get it used to being ran before i go bash it.

I never have any problems with the traxxas products, although i do upgrade to RPM
    Sig Sauer M400
    S&W M&P15
    Remington 1911 R1

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Man, I cant believe all this. TO the OP, I think your too specific a person to be buying a mass produced RTR truck. Ive had 5 RTR Traxxas vehicles and each of them has been "close enough" for an RTR for me. They were also, ALL assembled very very well.
    In your first post you said you had issues, one was due to hitting a tree which isnt a manufacturing issue... I would hazzard a guess that hitting the tree not only broke your steering block but may have contributed to a few of your other "issues" as well. These things arent perfect out of the box because they are meant for recreational users as opposed to racers or perfectionists. The aftermarket supports all the parts you need to get extremely specific with your truck. But from the box they are designed to be fast, simple and affordable.
    If you want a better, stronger, more accurate servo saver, check out the kimborough (sp) on Tower.
    Also, the axles ALL come with blue loctite from the factory. Even the replacements you buy have blue loctite on them already. Ive had wheels come off... they need to be checked every so often. Likely what happened is because the wheels and hexs are new, they compressed a bit on your first few drives allowing some play and ending in a nut coming loose. It happens. As does a misaligned servo, or misaligned links.
    Id say, of the people who run traxxas vehicles around here, %90 of them have great out of box experiences.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    Man, I cant believe all this. TO the OP...
    Do you realize this thread is around a year old and the O/p has not logged on since 10/09?
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    nevermind----didn't realized somebody revived the dead again.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Nope, didn't know that. It was at the top. I rarely check the date.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ