RC Racer

Comparison of tape and untape tire in relation to ballooning

I've seen alot of tire ballooning videos in you tube.
    Has anyone done a video comparison between a tape tire and a stock tire (with no tape) - to show a visual reduction in tire ballooning.

I am unsure how effective the tire taping is. The centrifugal force during tire spining causes the center part of the rubber to extend. Taping the inside of the tire method - it is only the adhesive of the tape that is holding the rubber from deforming. But is the adhesive strong enough to hold the rubber from deforming? Then again it is only the adhesive and not the tape material.
    Factor in the elasticity of the duck tape material. I confirmed duck tape elasticity by pulling the tape, I observed the tape has an eleasticity on it. I think this is ineffective? I maybe wrong - a video proof will put my curiosity to rest.

My reasons for this is because I tape one of tires from the outside ( which I believe gives a higher holding down force in preventing the rubber from deforming - both the adhesive and the duck tape material is holding down the tire dimension in place ) I then elevated the e-revo, this allowed the tires to spin freely. I visually saw the tape and the untape tires to show the same amount of ballooning.
    Tomasito

RC Qualifier
    Get some gorilla tape problem solved ,best tape on the market.

RC Champion
    Trust us, gorilla tape will take care of the issue, and as long as your tire is clean before you tape it, it won't unstick. I have noticed a huge difference with taped tires.
    1717/XL2 EREVO

RC Racer
    I did use duck tape not gorilla tape
    Tomasito

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It isn't the adhesive that stops the ballooning, the adhesive just sticks the tape to the tire, it is the fibers of the tape that stop the tire from ballooning.

The tape has fibers in it, which are very strong, and when you tape the tire, they create a belt around the tire that is very strong. Since the tape can't stretch, neither can the tire it is attached to, so taping tires keeps the from ballooning.

When done correctly, the ballooning is completely stopped, but even if not done correctly, 95% of the ballooning is stopped.

You do two layers of tape, putting the end of the tape directly over the beginning of the tape, to keep the tire perfectly balanced. You also need to clean the inside of the tire very well, and make sure it is dry before taping. If the tire has ribs in it, you will need to do multiple thin layers side by side between the ribs instead of a single wide piece over the ribs.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Racer
    Hello Revo,
    how far out should the taping be? including the tire walls?
    Tomasito

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Across the entire width of the tire, but not on the sidewalls. Turn the tire inside out to tape them.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Champion
    Kinda like this:
    1717/XL2 EREVO

RC Racer
    Hello Uber,
    Can you do a video with the tire spining, this will be the best proof that it won't balloon!
    Tomasito

RC Qualifier
    lol, seeing is believing huh.....did some simple youtube searching and here ya go. couldnt find two revos so i found two rustlers, but you get the picture....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1IxtziVXto
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui4xTVoJdZE

Quote Originally Posted by cyber_06_wolf
    lol, seeing is believing huh.....did some simple youtube searching and here ya go. couldnt find two revos so i found two rustlers, but you get the picture....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1IxtziVXto
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui4xTVoJdZE
    Great comparison. The tape does make a huge difference for high powered rc's.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Champion
    I don't have anything up close of the tires, if you'd like I can still make one...but it's like the second vid....it's funny, when I've asked 2 guys at 2 different LHS's about taping tires, and either of them has ever heard of it and one said not to, it was a bad idea....even funnier is they both race!!! I need to get to the local track and see whats going on...
    Last edited by UberBricky42; 08-26-2009 at 05:41 PM.
    1717/XL2 EREVO

RC Racer
    I am going to start gorilla taping my tires!

thanks
    Tomasito

RC Racer
    uber you really do only 2 races left the start at 10 am
    only fifty... REALLY?

RC Qualifier
    Why don't you tape the sidewalls? Too stiff then?

RC Champion
    The sidewalls don't really move, no reason to tape them.
    Thats a bumper? I thought it was a wheelie bar!