RC poster

New Summit Owner

Hi everyone,

Picked up a white traxxas summit from a friend that works at a hobby shop for 499! awesome deal. The thing is huge! biggest rc I have ever owned.

After the first 10 minutes of pavement driving unlocked the rear diff broke. I noticed it when the rear wheels wouldnt move. The rear left would move when fully locked. Needless to say I was pretty dissappointed. I was pretty mad at myself for trying to reverse and then punch forward to wheely. But shouldnt this thing take it!!?!!? Before it broke though it was awesome.

Called up traxxas this morning and they sent me two of the gears and pins and extra diff fluid for free! They even shipped it 2 day fedex. The guy over the phone was extremely friendly and helpful. He stated that they were aware of the problem and thought it was over but i guess some of them are still out there. My luck huh?

Do you guys know if they deliver on saturday? or if traxxas would select the saturday delivery option? I gotta say this is some awesome customer service. Hope to get her up and running for some more backyard bashing. Cant wait!

RC Champion
    Early issue Summits definitly had some problems. Sorry it had to be you that got one! Traxxas support is great. Here is a link to the differential removal instructions: http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...mmit%20traxxas

Here is the output shaft replacement: http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...610/090217.htm
    Last edited by Hughes500Bob; 08-21-2009 at 04:35 PM.
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC Qualifier
    Welcome - glad to hear you're enjoying the Summit, even only briefly. The new parts should get you fixed up for a while, Traxxas support is pretty great.

Fedex Saturday delivery is available, but it must be shipped that way originally, and it's $$$$.

RC Qualifier
    I've owned mine for about a year and some change and have never broken one. I've bashed the heck outta this thing. If you're gonna bash, get some of those traxxas aluminum tie rods. It's a week point if you jump it at all. Have a Blast... I do!
    Corrijo
    When the muds flyin, don't call me.

RC poster
    Iflylow whats the serial number on yours??
    I am wondering if I have one of the old ones too??

RC Competitor
    I always give it to "The Big T" when it comes down to PR and Customer Service. I had some minor querks with my Revo Platinum and they were sending parts left and right for no extra charge. I even had a represenative call me a week after I called them and asked if I recieved my parts and if I had any problems installing them. Once again, a big had to Traxxas for showing that they care for us.
    Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat
    5304,AX-10,5610

RC poster
    I feel your pain. Mine broke after 5 minutes. Traxxas support sent one out, although I did have to wait 2 weeks. Then my axle broke after about 15 minutes on a new set of batteries. I just bought those myself and replaced them. Great truck though.

RC Competitor
    i also only have good experiences with traxxas, it is my favorite brand to sell !
    the Belgian importer does the job of Traxxas support there in the US and they have the same no BS policy, if it is broken we replace it.
    i mostly replace it without even asking them.
    example : customer comes in with broken part, i take new part out of packaging, install and customer goes home with a big smile.
    if i have a few parts i get them back to the importer and he replaces them for me.

RC Qualifier
    Hi.Can't fault traxxas customer service.Traxxas UK were/are excellent(Don't know if they've handed the torch to RC Logic yet) .They'd phone and ask if I was ok waiting for long wired micro servos. Replaced a few.And told me about the adjuster screws in the tx. If they've messed up(dodgy drive shafts/diffs,they admit it,and replace parts.Never had that with any other company. Team lo$i just tell you it's your fault,even when hundreds of posts have been made on their own site stating the stuffs rubbish.They don't admit they've screwed up.Put me right off.No more lo$i for me.Less profit for them(especially when you spread the word )TRAXXAS all the way !!

RC Racer
    I just trashed a differential fully (bearing exploded, shrapnel killed ring and pinion), and I've bought two diff assemblies (yes, eBay). One to replace, one to have as a spare to pop in next time, so at my leisure, I can repair/ upgrade bearings. The old diff had been thru ***, so I'm not complaining.

First replacement diff was smooth when I got it in. Second one had a few rough spots in the pinion/ring gear mesh. Calipering out the axial play by measuring pinion shaft against housing, I'm reading somewhere about .3-.5 mm pinion axial play, none detectable for the left or right output shafts. Fairly tight.

I see that the factory issues dated to no sooner than August 2009, per post #2. So maybe we can say there are no more bad diffs out there in Jan 2011...

Question: I've heard that from the factory, some of the (new) assemblies are rougher than others. I've also seen buried in shimming instructions, a comment or two that there can be a rough spot or two after shimming snug- but that this will disappear after a run or two. Mine feels rough before shimming. Is it true, about rough spots wearing in?

RC Competitor
    Summits are pretty tough but.........its never a good idea to run any RC in reverse and slam in into forward.

Summits are very very heavy....have alot of torque......and have a lot of gears, diffs, and drivelines that leads to a lot of play in the runnng gear....so to run one in reverse and slam it into forward buils ALOT of force and will most likely lead to breakage. That is where the slipper adjustment could possible have saved you a broken part.

That being said.......I think most people have been guilty of doing it on occasion....but I have only done it on my much lighter vehicles...never my Summit. The laws of physics are against you on that one.